Thread: Presevation of chillis

Default Presevation of chillis

For lack of a better place to put this.

I am looking at my garden and there are 7 good chilli plants. I am never going to use all the fruit while it is fresh, so does any one know good ways of preserving it?

I have tried dying and freezing before but I fancy pickling.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Are these jalepenos?

The only ones I hang up to dry are the cayenne peppers.

I have a mix, Cayenne, Cherry Bomb and Hot Thai. Next year there will be more variety (I hope).

I am almost tempted to start a chilli pass.

I will usually grow some cayenne, habenero, jalepeno, and a mix of bell peppers.

I didn't get the garden set up this year though. Too bad to, it was a perfect summer...nice and hot!

I've frozen (New Mexico) green chilis, after they've been roasted. Everyone does this because they're seasonal and I buy than can be used at once.

For fresh peppers, I don't know how is best, but I know that some fruits (blackberries) should not be washed before frozen. (Wash them after thawing, of course).

Thinking on it, the only peppers besides the green chilis I've seen frozen are chopped bells, which were probably washed before freezing. Everything else I've seen is pickled or dried.

Try this site, or this one.

btw, one "L", not two.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

BTW, a nice and quick hot sauce is chili peppers minced with tomatoes, with sugar and garlic added. Find your right proportions.

7. Default

If it's a chilli more designed for it's "hot" than flavor I vote sun drying.

Thanks for the info guys. I the past I have just made up large ammounts of vegetable chilli and frozen it, but this time there will be just to much.n I think that I will probably make up some hot chilli sauce as cls515 sugested and freeze that as a base for future chillis.

Thread Information