Thread: What type of cut do you prefer?

It really depends on the cigar really. My preferance would be a V cut but I have not yet picked one up. I want a good one, not one of thoes cheap ones that fall apart and rip the wraper as they cut. The problem is that a good V cutter is pretty expensive. I carry a punch for all the "occasional" times but use a scisor cutter otherwise.
    Life is to short to b!tch...Get over it and move on.

Blog Entries

I've found that most V-cutters are hard to keep sharp, and nearly impossible to properly sharpen. I'm a big fan of a Guillotine cut,I don't like to fightwith mysmoke to get a good draw.

Myex-fiancé gave me acredit card sizedguillotine cutter for my birthday a couple of years back that hasn’t left my wallet since.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

I generally prefer the double-blade guillotine. I remember being
    a little nervous the first time I used this method, thinking I would
    screw it up and unravel the whole head. But it was a breeze -
    even with the cheapie Savoy cutter I used. A friend of mine who
    I've smoked with a bit uses a bullet cutter. I used it a few
    times; it works great and all, but I just like a little bigger of a cut
    I can get with the double-blade.

Blog Entries

I agree Beowulf. I also keep a bullet cutter on my key chain for those times when my wallet is not around, it’s my second favorite cut. I like to smoke Torpedo's and Pirámides, you can’t really get a good cut with a bullet cutter with those at all.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Have to agree with Oblik. It depends on the cigar type. Robustos and Toros I like the bullet punch. Gullitone cutters both single and double blade are fine for a straight cut and work exceptionally well for the "Dick" cut. Hold the cutter at about a 45 degree angle to the cigar and cut the diagonal. Some unwrapping may occur but the volume of smoke in each puff is well worth it. "V" cut is one of my favorites. I buy the cheap v cutters by the dozen, works out to be about a buck apiece, when they start going dull I just chuck em. I like the V cut on torpedos and other figurados. I have a nice pair of scissors, but I don't use them very much. Reminds me too much of a circumcision instrument. My wife saw them and told me to hang on to them for docking australian shepherd puppy tails. Think I will stick with my regular cutters.

Wayne
    No signature required, pay any bank.

Guillotine. I carry a Xikar multi tool on my key chain and use a rosewood at the house.

double bladed guillotine for most....i like the draw from this cut the best on most cigars i smoke. i do like the punch on some styles.

Default Cut

I've never tried a V-cut, tried a punch last week, the cap ended up falling off and getting all wet and nasty. So I'd have to say i'm with the French revolutionaries...(that's a guillitine )
    I bit my first cigars back when I was 14...
    Allan

never tried a v-cut. tried the punch a few times and didn't like it all that much. double blade guillitine is my choice

I read somewhere that the double bladed cut exposes your tongue to the more bitter tasting elements of the smoke, as opposed to the V cut, which in theoy, keeps the tar and other nasty stuff inside the cigar. I've never tried the V cut, but my cigars have never necessarily tasted bitter, either.
    With glasses high, we raised a cry - freedom had arrived

I personally like the bullet. It totally alleviates pieces of tobacco getting in my teeth :)

For figurado's, I prefer the dbl bladed guillotine.

I tried a v cut for my first time and I agree it is probably only good for a couple styles of cigars like torpedos and such. The V cutter i saw was the only one my tobbaconist carrys. I asked him why and he said all the others suck. This V cutter has 4 screws on the bottom of it so you can disassemble it and sharpen the blade properly. He said he ordered 10 of them, and when he got lower he went to order more and was told it was discontinued. I asked and he said he had 3 left. I bought one on the spot:) I don't even think I will hardly ever use it, but it sounds like it should last a life time. For the most part I would stick with the double gullitine, but if I ever smoke my other Auror I know I will be thankful I spent the money on it.

Filipino, born and raised. Now living in Sherwood Park Alberta, Canada

always just a straight cut using a double-bladed cutter for me.
    You are what you eat. That's why I'm a fat bastard.

I had always been using my punch cutter for a while... then just recently i got a good double bladed guillotine... and on a couple cigars ive gotten a little bit of tar... really kills the enjoyment. I never got the tar when i used the punch...

is there any corelation between larger cuts and tar?
    -=JStrider=-
    ~a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke. -- Rudyard Kipling

~Clatto Verata Nicto

Filipino, born and raised. Now living in Sherwood Park Alberta, Canada

Wink

jstrider, i think so. a straight cut exposes more of the filler tobacco and this causes more of the tar to come in contact with the mouth as you draw from it. the punch cut lessens this problem. the only downside that could happen with a punch cut is that the small hole could get plugged with too much tar as you smoke on. but if you don't seem to have this problem then stick with the cut that you like better.
    You are what you eat. That's why I'm a fat bastard.

Personally I have never tried any other cut other than a straight cut. I guess i need to branch out. Maybe I'm just afraid of change....lol.

I plan on buying a good punch cutter soon to try out, but for the most part, a straight cut has never bothered me as far as tar reaching my mouth....possibly it's a different smoking style? I don't know, but it has never been a problem for me.

i do occasionally have the problem of the punch hole seeming to get a little clogged...

i'll have to experiment a little with slightly different sized cuts
    -=JStrider=-
    ~a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke. -- Rudyard Kipling

~Clatto Verata Nicto

Thread Information