Thread: Cigar Register - free cigar management software

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks Drew - took a look at the entire thread - I think it's a great effort and it sounds good - I'm just gonna sit back until the software ages a little before I try it. Nothing against it - would like to see comments from folks after a bit of use.
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

The foothills of the Sierra mountains about 50 miles west of Lake Tahoe.

I'm just gonna sit back until the software ages a little before I try it. Nothing against it
    I agree It's a great concept, but I don't think it's up to a 1.0 release. There are just too many little bugs and glitches in it (See my previous comments).

However, I don't want to make the developers feel bad about their product. I fully support writing and releasing free software (especially open source software, even though this isn't open source). But I think this software needs a few more weeks of tweaking to make it really usefull. And that's not really too bad, It just isn't ready for prime time.

By the way, does anyone have any idea where they got their data for the cigar database?

Thanks

Brenham, TX.....home of BlueBell Ice Cream!

Quote Originally Posted by Dru Lee Parsec View Post
    I agree It's a great concept, but I don't think it's up to a 1.0 release. There are just too many little bugs and glitches in it (See my previous comments).

However, I don't want to make the developers feel bad about their product. I fully support writing and releasing free software (especially open source software, even though this isn't open source). But I think this software needs a few more weeks of tweaking to make it really usefull. And that's not really too bad, It just isn't ready for prime time.

By the way, does anyone have any idea where they got their data for the cigar database?

Thanks

Ive only been getting one error and that's while looking at the cigar database.....hmmph and the cigar database is lacking a little............or atleast I think it is.

Ive only been getting one error and that's while looking at the cigar database
    Oh I'm finding all kinds of stuff. Click on the Wishlist node of the tree and you'd expect your wishlist to show up. Nothing happens.

Click on the collection history and then right click an item to delete it. The table doesn't refresh so it looks like you didn't delete anything.

Inches vs Millimeters works in some views and not others.

I was somehow able to add a blank to my wishlist. Now the count on my wish list says 2 but there's only 1 cigar in the list.

If I'm in the database view clicking on the tree has no effect at all.

Oh well. Just for fun I thought I'd see how much work a good cigar database program would be. I've already started writing one in Java (so it will work in Windows and Linux) using the free MySql database as the back end.

If I get it to look like something that could be useful then I'll go put it up on Sourceforge as an open source project. I havn't written code in a almost a year. Now that I'm retired from the computer software industry maybe I can write code for my own enjoyment again.

Being active, I would be happy to perform code review / troubleshoot.

Chuck me a black box problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dru Lee Parsec View Post
    Oh I'm finding all kinds of stuff. Click on the Wishlist node of the tree and you'd expect your wishlist to show up. Nothing happens.

Click on the collection history and then right click an item to delete it. The table doesn't refresh so it looks like you didn't delete anything.

Inches vs Millimeters works in some views and not others.

I was somehow able to add a blank to my wishlist. Now the count on my wish list says 2 but there's only 1 cigar in the list.

If I'm in the database view clicking on the tree has no effect at all.

Oh well. Just for fun I thought I'd see how much work a good cigar database program would be. I've already started writing one in Java (so it will work in Windows and Linux) using the free MySql database as the back end.

If I get it to look like something that could be useful then I'll go put it up on Sourceforge as an open source project. I havn't written code in a almost a year. Now that I'm retired from the computer software industry maybe I can write code for my own enjoyment again.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Does anyone have any idea where they got the data for their database? As incomplete as it may be it's still a great start.

I just wonder if it's in a text file somewhere that I can use to fill up my database.

Blog Entries

This thing seems to be a complete mess. peter_a was going back and forth on another cigar board with other members who were having all kinds of problems with his software.

I'll just stick to an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of things.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Thread Information