Thread: Opinion Wanted: Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve

Default Opinion Wanted: Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve

Hey y'all. Long time, no post.

I posted this thread to ask for opinions on the Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve. I have a hard time finding anything about this cigar online, as I guess it isn't terribly widely available. My local store has a couple boxes, and sells singles, so I picked one up, a maduro, roughly 5 in. x 54 ring. It'd been sitting in my humidor for about a month, and I decided to light it up tonight.

I picked up a great deal of leather and milk chocolate at the beginning, gradually giving way to dark purple fruits. Toward the end, it began to resemble the taste I get in my mouth when I smell a really spicy cologne, one with a great deal of sandalwood and/or frankincense. That may sound bad, but I don't mean it that way. This was a truly tasty cigar through and through. I never once picked up the soapy flavors I typically get from many cigars. The draw was almost perfect, in my opinion. The smoke itself wasn't perfect, as the burn was slightly jagged, and the ash has a tendency to flake, but the taste was good enough to allow me to overlook the minor imperfections. They're a bit on the 'spensive side, so it won't be an everyday cigar for me, but one I may pick up for special occasions.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else had smoked one of these, and what your opinions may be. I'm anxious to hear if I'm letting my unabashed love of all things RP cloud my judgment, or if this is similar to what others have experienced with this fine smoke.

I had one of these at a cigar event in KC and I must say I wasn't all that impressed. Granted it was a good cigar but at the same pricetag as the Padron 1926 it's just not worth is. The Vintage 92's are just as good of a cigar and a lot nicer on the budget.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

I currently have 3 in my humi and had my first one probably 3-4 months ago.

I made the mistake that since it was a smaller stick than I normally smoke I would get through it faster, wrong. The taste was amazing and very complex, the changes through the cigar were very very noticeable that even a new like myself could pick up on with ease. I actually had no problems with the smoke/ash/draw at all mine burned nice and even from the get go and the ash stayed on for what seemed like forever.

For the extra cash it becomes something that's nice once in a blue moon, now if they came out with Old World Reserve Seconds the Vintages might get a run for their money.

100th Post. WAHOO!!!!
    Seatbelts save lives, my best friend and I are alive because of them.

Nobody is ever gone as long as there is someone to remember them.

I found they taste too much like the vintage blend to justify the additional 4-5 bucks.

5. Default

I like the maddies...Little expensive though.

Great cigars,one of the higher end RP's and my favorites.They are stronger than the others.The corojo is good but the maduro is great.
    Yo can light the gar with the tobacco paper on or remove it,taste doesnt change much.I remove it.
    Worth a try,grab a fiver of each the corojo and maduro,smoke one of each sitting down and relaxing while meditateing on its profile....then age the rest a month or so,try again,repeat every month till gone,then you will know these OWR's well enough to make a decision on it being a great cigar or not.

Good luck.

the prices will lower eventually.
    A good cigar is as great a comfort to a man as a good cry to a woman. ....Edward G Bulwer-Lytton

Thread Information