Thread: A. Fuente Cuban Corona

1. Thumbs down A. Fuente Cuban Corona

I just finished an A. Fuente Cuban Corona, or at least as much as I could. The construction of this stick was terrible. shortly after lighting, the wrapper began to come off. A couple of minutes later, the binder began to come off. By the time i was at the half way point, I had a pile of loose, smoking leaves at my feet . The draw was very smooth, and the flavor was decent. However, it is kind of hard to enjoy a smooth draw and decent flavor after the cigar has desintegrated.
    It could be that I just got a bad stick, but this being my second bad experience with AF out of 2 total , I probably wont be going back any time soon.

I'd give it a 1.5/5 just because during the short time that I was able to enjoy it, it wasn't too bad.

Where are you getting these adn/or how are you storing them before you smoke them. Sounds like they were improperly stored. Every Fuente cigar I have ever had has been top notch.

Pick one up at a real tobacconist from their humidor and smoke it there or that night at your place. You should have a pleasant experience.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jaewing View Post
    Where are you getting these adn/or how are you storing them before you smoke them. Sounds like they were improperly stored. Every Fuente cigar I have ever had has been top notch.

Pick one up at a real tobacconist from their humidor and smoke it there or that night at your place. You should have a pleasant experience.
    I picked it up from a local tobacconist from their walk-in humidor. had it in a zip-lock bag for the ride home, put it into my humidor which is at 63%humidity. It stayed there for about a week before i smoked it. it still felt good, not too soft, not too firm, didnt flake at all, just came undone. Like I said, I think I just got a bad stick, but I have other things to try before going back to AF.

Try em out again. A. Fuente are my fav smokes. I dont think Ive had one yet that I didnt enjoy.
    2 Funky Chickens!
    2.5 Pomegranates

Dont know about the cigar you tried, but A.F. Best Seller is one of my top 3. Perfect burn everytime, great taste. What you are mentioning sounds like a 1 outta 1000 chance, or more likely the cigar suffered from bad storage. Its best to let your cigars rest in your humidor a week or two before you smoke them to balance out. Sometimes extreme changes in temperature or humidity can lead to what you are describing as the contracting and expanding of the cigar destroys the binder. Just a couple thoughts!
    "Enter cool cigar related quote here"

http://www.daveandcourtscorner.com/

6. Default

thanks for the tips, I think they might have earned just one more chance from me.

Did by any chance you cut off the triple cap? I've never had a Fuente do that or even remotely come close to doing that. That is one of the reasons why Fuentes are my favorite non-Cuban cigar, that and they taste ok too. I'm not a big fan of the Cuban Corona. I think the Petit Corona is much better. Try it out, along with some Don Carlos and Hemingway cigars. What kind of cutter do you use?

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cls515 View Post
    Did by any chance you cut off the triple cap? I've never had a Fuente do that or even remotely come close to doing that. That is one of the reasons why Fuentes are my favorite non-Cuban cigar, that and they taste ok too. I'm not a big fan of the Cuban Corona. I think the Petit Corona is much better. Try it out, along with some Don Carlos and Hemingway cigars. What kind of cutter do you use?
    I use a singleblade guilotine cutter. I have used a kitchen knife a couple of times before i had a cutter, and never had this happen before.
    Ive tried the don carlos, but i think i let it get too dry, that was before i had a humi.

bigpoppapuff Guest

i've never understood the kool-aid mentality of fuente fans...it's like a fucking cult....i don't think that fuente is the best brand from the D.R....in my opinion,they're 4th...behind MATASA (fonseca..matasa 30th,fonseca series f,and the new fonseca cubano limitado,which may be the best cigar i've ever smoked)..second would be la aurora (the preferido is awesome..(any wrapper))..third would be la flor dominicano......honestly..imho...the best cigar that fuente makes is the ashton vsg...nothing in the fuente line is better.....YMMV!!!..

bigpoppapuff Guest

hey evil...get yourself a xikar cutter (i use the scissor multi-tool)...get rid of your single blade cutter...you're not getting a proper cut..

11. Default

The xikars are quite a bit more than i want to spend on a cutter, would a punch work better?

bigpoppapuff Guest

go to caminoviejo.com or rockyscigars.com and check out the prices on the multi-tool.....you'll never use another cutter

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff View Post
    MATASA (fonseca..matasa 30th,fonseca series f,and the new fonseca cubano limitado,which may be the best cigar i've ever smoked)..second would be la aurora (the preferido is awesome..(any wrapper))..third would be la flor dominicano......honestly..imho...the best cigar that fuente makes is the ashton vsg...nothing in the fuente line is better.....YMMV!!!..
    I've tried Fonseca and La Aurora as well and I just don't like them as much as Fuente. To each his own. I've only had one VSG and I didn't like it so I never smoked any more of them. Agreed on the Xikar cutter though. I don't use the scissors but I know of someone who does and they work fine for him as well. I use the butterfly cutter and wouldn't want anything else.

bigpoppapuff Guest

try the fonseca serie f,the matasa 30th anniv (best of the best in the robb report) and the new fonseca cubano limitado (just shipping now)....then tell me what you think.....

Quote Originally Posted by Evillepaintball View Post
    I picked it up from a local tobacconist from their walk-in humidor. had it in a zip-lock bag for the ride home, put it into my humidor which is at 63%humidity. It stayed there for about a week before i smoked it. it still felt good, not too soft, not too firm, didnt flake at all, just came undone. Like I said, I think I just got a bad stick, but I have other things to try before going back to AF.
    Sounds like your doing everything fine. I had this happen with a Cusano Corojo, the thing came apart like it was spring loaded.

I agree with BPP on the Ashton vsg, I think that is Fuente's best readily available line. I also had an opus no. 4 the other night which was fantastic but I wouldn't want to smoke it every day.

If you want flavor but in a fairly mild package I would give the sancho panza Dbl. Maduro and Carlos Torano 1959 Gold a try.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff View Post
    try the fonseca serie f,the matasa 30th anniv (best of the best in the robb report) and the new fonseca cubano limitado (just shipping now)....then tell me what you think.....
    I'll keep my eye out for them. Thanks for the heads up.

Thread Information