Thread: Nextel Radiation

Default Nextel Radiation

Question: Why does my Nextel freak out the speakers on my computer and other devices? Is this thing shooting cancer beams into my head or what?
    End of line.

2. Default

Mine does the same thing...I've noticed something else. I wear mine on my right shoulder while at work. Looks like I'm growing a second set of eyes on the right side of my neck. Guess I'm mutating.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    Mine does the same thing...I've noticed something else. I wear mine on my right shoulder while at work. Looks like I'm growing a second set of eyes on the right side of my neck. Guess I'm mutating.
    At least you will know who your about to run over when you change lanes.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Speakers, especially amplified speakers are prone to interference. The speaker amp is basically a broadband amplifier set for audio frequencies. The speaker wire is supposed to carry the input signal to be amplified, but is often poorly shielded. This means that the wire also makes a decent antenna. The amplifier in the speakers amplifies the undesired signal as well as the desired one.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Mine does it also, no eyes on the side of my neck as far as I know, but then again nextel has horrable service here and it keeps getting worse, just riding out the rest of my contract.

If I set my phone on my laptop the speakers will click when it send's/recieves a signal. Early warning for phonecalls or texts

The worst problems are caused by older Amplitude Modulated signals, (HF Ham radio, CB, Am band commercial stations and shortwave stations) since this is the type of modulation audio amps and speakers are designed to input and use. With a strong enough signal and/or a long run of wire, you can hear the transmissions over the speakers directly if you're close!

Cheaply made electronics and radio enthusiasts have long been at odds because of this. The government, in it's infinite wisdom, decided to make it the unlicensed users responsibility to shield and filter their home electronics equipment against legal, licensed, and clean transmitting stations (Read the little FCC tag on your TV that say's this device must accept interference from a licensed station and not produce any harmful interference to licensed stations.), but not to set any standards for companies to build their equipment to.

So, what you get is people buying cheaply made electronics and thinking it's the transmitters fault for causing the interference! This assumption, and complete ignorance of how electronics and the FCC guidelines work, causes radio enthusiasts to get a bad name. It also causes them to go to court a lot more often than they should.

But I digress!

RF radiation is not the same as ionizing radiation, which can damage cells. The worst thing non-ionizing radiation can do is induce voltages in metal, or induce thermal effects in dense enough materials (think microwaves). The effects are totally dependant on the power and frequency of the signal, and the proximity to the transmitting antenna. Cell phone's radiate in the microwatt range. Hardly a concern. So, I'm going to say no, your Nextel isn't mutating or cooking you.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Thread Information