• Food and Drink Forum

7 23.33%
  • Food and Drink Section with Sub-Forums

19 63.33%
  • None of the above

0 0%

Thread: Adding a Home brewing section

Default Adding a Home brewing section

Hello All - I asked the powers that be (hex) and he ok'd my humble request, so here goes.

The poll here is to determine if there is an interest in starting a home brewing forum or a food and drink forum or none of the above.

None of the above is obvious.

The home brewing forum will be for brewing basically anything, beer, wine, mead, soda, you name it.

The food and drink forum can be for anything food and drink related. So it could also encompass home brewing.

Also if you have suggestion as to sub-topics, like cooking, BBQ, bar drinks, etc. Let me know. Maybe we can convince Hex a whole section, like the New York posse section, should be devoted to food and drinks and then we can have sub sections for the different topics.

Thanks.

I like the food & drink w/ subs. I know homebrewing would be cool, just not into it. So, what I am into, food/cooking, would be easier to follow if the threads ain't all cluttered with shit I'm not into.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

I love cooking/eating and I've been tinkering with homebrewing a bit. I'm in!

bigpoppapuff Guest

food and drink??......yes

homebrewing only??........don't do it,so i'd never look

I like the idea of food and drink with sub forums.

For example we can learn about all the microbrews out there. Also aclohol wise maybe people can put reviews for different: bourbon, scotch, rum, what ever else they had that was good

Don't know if there are too many gourmet chiefs here but who knows, when I am hungry and in a hurry make a mean macaroni and cheese

Use to home brew. Always eat. Love to BBQ. At local bookstores, cigar books (if you can find them) are in the food and wine category? I do not eat or drink cigars, so this I do not get.

I agree with NH that a sub-forum dedicated to edibles and beverages that compliment the cigar hobby might be nice.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Food and Drink forum with sub forums sounds good to me!
    2 Funky Chickens!
    2.5 Pomegranates

Well being a avid home brewer, I really dont need a home brew section on here. As there are specific forums on the internet that cater to this very topic with thousands of registered users already. I know most of them will never visit a cigar forum. Be nice to have both my hobbies on one page, but I wont lose any sleep if I have to head to my old stomping grounds for brewing knowledge.

So with that said, a Food and Drink with sub catergories will work. Then other cigar smokers that are also home brewers of beer, wine, meads, ciders, and soda know exactly who each other are. Then can talk more easily than we can now.

I vote for food and drink with sub forums.

Food and drinks w/ subs sounds good to me......
    I'm not big on doing reviews, tobacco doesn't taste like "cocoa" or "nutty" or "mocha" to me, it tastes like freakin' TOBACCO. I know what I like and I really don't care what other people think of other cigars. I've never read a review and said to myself "Wow, that sounds like a cigar I'd like to try!"

I home brew and like to BBQ, so you've got my vote! I'd love to have all my hobbies in one site! Good BBQ and tried and true easy homebrew recipies are hard to find. Be warned, homebrewing can take up a forum all by itself, and commonly does!
    Last edited by Kenyth; 09-01-2006 at 04:49 PM.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

like my food and i like my liquor - great idea!
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peat View Post
    Well being a avid home brewer, I really dont need a home brew section on here. As there are specific forums on the internet that cater to this very topic with thousands of registered users already.
    You could say the same about sports, politics, and probably a couple other sections here.

I wouldn't think it would be a huge topic, more of a place for cigar smokers to discuss homebrewing (and food, drink, BBQ, etc.)

I've always had an interest in home brewing but never tried it... Seems like a big investment in time and like cigars, I change brands a lot.... But light, Coors light, Moosehead, Old English Ale, Yuengling, Folgers (not wait, that's coffee).

I'd like to read up and follow the forum, but can't promise to try brewing..

How long does it take, what is the investment etc?

Thanks

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by planenut View Post
    I've always had an interest in home brewing but never tried it... Seems like a big investment in time and like cigars, I change brands a lot.... But light, Coors light, Moosehead, Old English Ale, Yuengling, Folgers (not wait, that's coffee).

I'd like to read up and follow the forum, but can't promise to try brewing..

How long does it take, what is the investment etc?

Thanks
    Hehe, those ain't beers. My water as more flavor than that!

Expense, in both time and dollars, can vary greatly.

For a basic extract brew, you'd be looking at probably 2-3 hours of brew time, about a week of fermentation, then an hour of two of bottling, then another week or two of conditioning.

When I started out, I think I spent $80 or $90 and got everything but a kettle. Glancing at MoreBeer.com, they have an equipment kit for $70 that would do fine. All you'd need to add would be an extract kit ($20) and about 50 bottles (maybe some caps, too). For bottles, you can use any brown, crown-capped bottles (Sam Adams bottles have crown caps).

Or you could drop almost $500 on a complete brewing and kegging syste.

But whatever you do, never ever ever get into homebrewing to save money.

</off-topic>

My Dad got into homebrewing to save money...it = crappy kit brewed beer. I have looked at some forums online and am slowly swaying him towards more involved brewing now that we have a little more money to play with.

The problem is that in order to save money on ingredients, you have to do all grain brewing and keg. In order to save enough to make it worthwhile, you have to brew large quantities at once. Some people do just this, but generally speaking, most people don't have the kind of time, space, or initial investment money it takes to make that kind of beer.

Your average hobby brewer uses malt extracts. The grain mashing has been done for you, and the results are concentrated into a handy syrup or powdered form. All you have to do is boil up the wort, ferment, and bottle. As a matter of fact, malt extract is commonly packaged along with the hops and other ingredients into easy to use "kit's". Unfortunately, all that processing and packaging costs money that probably far surpasses the cost of macro-brewed beer, bottle for bottle. If you are a shrewd buyer and are willing to buy in a little bulk, you can still get a decent price. Also, most goumet micro-brewed beer is quite pricey, and you may yet save money over those prices for the same type of product.

As a last thought. In the beginning, you will brew a lot of marginal tasting stuff out of ignorance and small errors. It's much like cooking. Brewing beer is easy. Brewing GOOD beer takes experience.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

I've been interested in brewing my own beer but from lack of space and money, i haven't gotten into it. However, I would really like to learn about it, so I'm all for food/beer/drink sub forum.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Also, if Coor's or Bud clones are what you seek, home brewing isn't for you. In the beginning at least, you will brew ale, which is fermented at basement temperatures (60F-70F) and tastes fairly strong. "Lagering" is fermenting beers at lower temperatures (40F-50F). Lagers and Pilsners are the beer styles most people are familiar with. They take much longer to ferment, and require a temperature controlled cold environment, but the finished product is very smooth and light in comparison to ale.

Cider used to be very easy and fun to make, but newer laws require the addition of yeast inhibiting preservatives in all juices. Finding unadulterated cider is a back alley trade these days. I can't find anyone willing to sell me any in less than wholesaler quantities.

Thread Information