Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Operation Stogie AKA Cigars for Troops Pass

Default two words

in the immortal words of BKCLOUD...

LIQUID PECTIN!!! LIQUID PECTIN!!!

Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

Quote Originally Posted by mauied1101 View Post
    in the immortal words of BKCLOUD...

LIQUID PECTIN!!! LIQUID PECTIN!!!

I'll purchase some liquid pectin tonight and post some before and after pictures

http://www.cigarsmokers.com/t4441-cigar-glue.html

http://www.cigarsmokers.com/t5414-cigar-glue.html
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

How did I miss this...great idea and a worthy cause....way to go fellas!
    A good cigar is as great a comfort to a man as a good cry to a woman. ....Edward G Bulwer-Lytton

Exclamation

Ok time for a major update w/ pics even!

Here is the picture of the damaged #9

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/3223/dscf3836ih8.jpg

The hopeful miracle worker!

http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/3729/dscf3848vs8.jpg

Surgery table prepped.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6931/dscf3851po6.jpg

Surgery complete
    http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3725/dscf3853ub0.jpg

Resting in the ICU

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/2458/dscf3861mn9.jpg

Results after 30mins of rehab.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/9665/dscf3867ej5.jpg

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/275/dscf3870yn7.jpg

Here is a pic of the damaged "hinges" on the main container.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/466/dscf3844um6.jpg

And because of the size of the containers and the box they have to rest in the box on their sides.

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/5952/dscf3845av1.jpg

So after an excursion to Wally World I came back with two options.

Option #1 are just about the same size as the current containers but quite a bit sturdier.

Option #1 Pic #1
    Option #1 Pic #2
    Option #1 Pic #3

Option #2 appears to hold about the same about as 2 of the Option #1's, but Option #2 was a hell of alot studier. I stood on Option #2 with both feet and it barely flexed! I'm 6'6" & 280lbs. The only problem with Option #2 is that it isn't air tight like Option #1 is. But I have some foam weatherstripping that is supposed prevent humidity loss that I can put around the lip of the container.

Option #2 Pic #1
    Option #2 Pic #2

If we go with Option #1 I will get a different/bigger box because it is a tight, tight fit with both of them in there. If we go with Option #2 the current box will work fine.

Thoughts and opinons?
    Last edited by HarvInSTL; 10-03-2006 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Fixed pictures
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Anthony, Thanks for all the work on this one, shows you are true BOTL

As far as the #9 smoke I say still let's keep it out of rotation, it is just not worth that much anyways, if you can do the same miracle for the other one that just has a small problem that would be great.

Regarding the packaging they both look great to me. Maybe the only consideration would be weight ( shipping cost ) of the box. If no one posts any opinions by end ofthe day I will let you decide which option you think is best.

*** FOR THE EXTRA EFFORT ANTHONY IS AWARDED A WOAM ***

Make sure you take that one for yourself !!!!!

I used a container similar to option 2 for a tupperdor for a while. I used weather stripping around the lip and it worked great.

Very kind of you to do this Anthony.

Quote Originally Posted by CgarDan View Post
    Anthony, Thanks for all the work on this one, shows you are true BOTL

As far as the #9 smoke I say still let's keep it out of rotation, it is just not worth that much anyways, if you can do the same miracle for the other one that just has a small problem that would be great.

Regarding the packaging they both look great to me. Maybe the only consideration would be weight ( shipping cost ) of the box. If no one posts any opinions by end ofthe day I will let you decide which option you think is best.

*** FOR THE EXTRA EFFORT ANTHONY IS AWARDED A WOAM ***

Make sure you take that one for yourself !!!!!
    Dan,
    That means alot coming from you, and I thank you and the rest of the BOTL's here for making this such an enjoyable place.

#9 is out and has been replaced with a Perdomo Lot 23 Robusto (#55)

The damage to #44 is slight and since the cap will be cut when you smoke it I'll leave it be.

In regards to the weight, they both seem to weigh about the same. Only difference is that Option #2 isn't 100% air tight, so I've grabbed an extra large zip lock to go around it.

Option #2 it is. Package will be packed up tomorrow morning and in the mail tomorrow afternoon. DC# to follow then.

I've been dying to try the WOAM and I thank you for the very generous offer. The extra effort is no problem for me, and I just want to make sure we all get the smokes in good shape and even more important that the young men and women who are risking their lives for our country get to enjoy them. It would be awesome if we could get them all to pose for a picture smoking the stogies when they get them!

Quote Originally Posted by WOXOF View Post
    I used a container similar to option 2 for a tupperdor for a while. I used weather stripping around the lip and it worked great.

Very kind of you to do this Anthony.
    Should I weatherstrip the lip and put it inside the extra large zip lock or do you think just the weatherstrip will be enough? There are 4 small holes where the hinges meet the container that would let humidity escape.

Thanks for the kinds words Chris, and if you are a Corojo fan shoot me a PM. I think I have something you might want to try.

I would do both the weatherstrip and the ziplock. It cant hurt to be too cautious.

Working for a shipping company, I've seen first hand how these boxes are handled.

lrharry29, it is coming your way. are you ready ?

lrharry29, it is coming your way. are you ready ?
    I talked with him via PM early yesterday morning and he said to send it his way.

Quote Originally Posted by HarvInSTL View Post
    I talked with him via PM early yesterday morning and he said to send it his way.

I am anxiously awaiting the package to arrive. Already have the puts set aside.

Quote Originally Posted by lrharry29 View Post
    I am anxiously awaiting the package to arrive. Already have the puts set aside.
    Well time to start the pee pee dance, DC #0305 0830 0003 9221 3021

Dan,
    The Put/Take sheet you had only went up to 60, so I added a couple more pages to it.

Only problem was the super sized zip lock I had tore when I tried to put it around the container.

It's all good. And the container as long as you put that material to make sure its closes tightly we are good

It's all good. And the container as long as you put that material to make sure its closes tightly we are good
    Yep, I added the weatherstriping around the entire lip.

Right now the box weights about 4.5 lbs including cigars, packing material and the box.
    That would cost about $11.60 to ship thru the USPS. But would cost $7.81 to ship via DHL @ Home.

Anyone have any experience shipping cigars with DHL?

I used a website called redroller.com that compares most of the big name shipping companys and shows you which was is cheaper.

Not really sure how good is DHL, but anything is probably better than USPS. Lrharry howis DHL in your area ?

Not too sure I have only used DHL once, it seems cheaper than UPS sometimes. I have to drive about 20 minutes to get to DHL. I will look into it.

I was only putting the option of DHL out there. I just didn't want someone to get pissed off if shipping thru USPS was $12, just wanted them/everyone to know that they had an alternative.

Luis, based upon your address I figured USPS would be easier for you. For anyone else if they don't have a DHL location near them you can schedule a pickup for free.

Some shipping options work better for different people, my main concern was that if we did use a different shipping method that everyone was ok with it and that everyone knew about it.

USPS will leave the package on my front porch, DHL/FedEx/UPS might not. So for me USPS works great because I don't have to worry about sitting around for a package. Then again who wants hundreds of dollars worth of cigars just sitting outside!?!?

STOP TEASING

Lets get this baby rolling

I've used DHL without any problems. Depending on where you are, you'll get it pretty fast - I get packages from Bethlehem, PA to DC overnight where it would otherwise take UPS a couple days.
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

Thread Information