Thread: Thoughts on DLP...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Thoughts on DLP...

I'm thinking about getting a DLP TV (probably a Samsung HL-S5087W or 56)...

Any thoughts on DLP monitors?

We have HD service, but we mostly watch SD stations (that's one reason I'm leaning toward the 50" instead of 56")...

I'll probably be switching over to Dish Network soon, as well My Cox SD signal is awful on my 32", I can't imagine what it would look like on a bigger TV. Dish is supposed to have the best clarity of any carrier. (plus I don't get Fox or CBS in HD; I need my HD football).

(really, I mostly want to play xbox 360 on a bigger screen )

Go with a projector with a Sattelite dish. Best picture, and biggest screen for the money.
    End of line.

I dont think that any satellite company has a better picture than any other. It all depends on who is broadcasting it. a digital picture should be the same on almost any DLP monitor. Now if your carrier has a bad connection, well thats different. We used to have Charter digital cable and I could see some "static" in the picture sometimes so we went with DirecTV.

As for the size, I would say go with what fits best in your place. If you go too big and sit close to the TV, it wont look as good.

I think Texas Insturments makes all the DMDs for the DLP TV's out there right now.
    2 Funky Chickens!
    2.5 Pomegranates

My bro-in-law, who's in the business of fixing TV's, suggests against the DLP's. He says too many moving parts makes for too great a chance of breakdown. He suggests LCD projector, but pay attention to the manufacturer. Not all projection bulbs cost the same to replace, and that's the big money item that will go in those sets...

I picked up a Panasonic LCD projector last year - an absolutely fantastic picture and a great deal (cost me around 1,500 without the extended warranty).

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panas...oductDetail.do

Blog Entries

WTF are you guys talking about?

Here's my TV:

I can get all thirteen channels. The damn thing takes a while to warm up but once it does, she's good to go!!

Someday, I may splurge for a UHF antenna so I can get channel 27 out of Worcester. MA!

It kinds of sucks in the winter sometimes, the antenna rotor freezes and it won't turn. If it's stuck in west, all I can get is the Hartford station and if it's stuck in east, all I get is the Boston and Providence stations. I just upgraded to the antenna on the roof last year, sure beats the hell out of those rabbit ears.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 09-25-2006 at 12:40 AM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    My bro-in-law, who's in the business of fixing TV's, suggests against the DLP's. He says too many moving parts makes for too great a chance of breakdown. He suggests LCD projector, but pay attention to the manufacturer. Not all projection bulbs cost the same to replace, and that's the big money item that will go in those sets...

I picked up a Panasonic LCD projector last year - an absolutely fantastic picture and a great deal (cost me around 1,500 without the extended warranty).

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panas...oductDetail.do
    I looked at a couple of the LCD rear projectors, but I think the image was lacking a little. Next time I'm near a home electronics store, I'll give them another look.

LCDs dont have a long life either like the DLPs to.

and what moving parts does a DLP have? the mirrors?
    2 Funky Chickens!
    2.5 Pomegranates

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChuck View Post
    I looked at a couple of the LCD rear projectors, but I think the image was lacking a little. Next time I'm near a home electronics store, I'll give them another look.
    I wouldn't go by the store set up. I would think the tv that the store wants to sell would have the best picture. And to speak on it, Panasonic is hard to beat. Sony is great too but a lot more expensive.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Empire23 View Post
    I dont think that any satellite company has a better picture than any other. It all depends on who is broadcasting it. a digital picture should be the same on almost any DLP monitor. Now if your carrier has a bad connection, well thats different. We used to have Charter digital cable and I could see some "static" in the picture sometimes so we went with DirecTV.
    The thing with digital video is it's compressed. That lets satllite and digital cable providers pack a lot of channels into a small "pipe", but compression comes at the cost of "artifacts" (blockiness, mosquitoes, etc).

Someone is actually suing DirecTV because they increased their compression after he signed up...

The foothills of the Sierra mountains about 50 miles west of Lake Tahoe.

Oh man! I thought you were talking about me.
    Last edited by Dru Lee Parsec; 11-17-2006 at 07:28 PM.

plasma for many reasons........I love my panasonic plasma 55 inch

12. Default

What works best depends a LOT on your experience and tastes. I have a Brillian 65" 720p LCOS rear-projection set and I love it. Brillian was bought by Syntax (of Olevia LCD fame) and is now primarily sold under the Syntax label. You can also get LCOS technology from JVC, which they call D-ILA or HD-ILA. I would recommend going with their PROSUMER sets rather than the regular consumer models.

Regarding extended warranties - a recent article in Southwest Airlines in-plane magazine lambasted extended warranties. EXCEPT in the case of HDTVs and other pricey technology purchases.

If you're going to buy from a website, I'd suggest sticking with known, reputable sites. Brooklyn is famous for its thriving internet rip-off industry (hence the knickname Crooklyn), but they are popping up all over the country. In addition to Amazon, NewEgg, Buy, and other relatively trustworthy sites, you might want to check out TVauthority.com. They know the products they sell very well and will only suggest add-ons when appropriate. They will also discuss your needs via phone or their on-line chat service to help determine the best product and technology for your budget. And no, I don't work there.

Someone was asking about certifications and what not. I'm not a repair technician, but I am ICIA CTS certified, have received training from a few dozen manufacturers, and have designed hundreds of audiovisual systems for businesses and homes. If you have any questions, feel free to drop me an email - lungjian@hotmail.com . Mention that your a Cigarsmokers.com member and you can tap my brain for free. If you like my services, you can ship me a "thank you" stogie.

Thread Information