Thread: Introduction

Default Introduction

Hello!

I'm brand new to the site and 3 days into my cigar smoking career. I used to smoke cigaretts, but quit 3 years ago. Lately I've been getting the urge to smoke something and there is no way I'm going back to Export A Green Death.

I thought a cigar would be a nice thing to try and so I pick up some nasty thing from the corner store. The smoke shop seemed to intimidating. It actually turned out not too bad and I had a smile all night. So, down to the smoke shop I go, and now I've got what I think, and hope is a decent cigar. None of the sites I've been to seem to talk about them. It is a "Tabacalera Isabella". Any comments on this?

Can anyone suggest where to go next? Although I don't have a tonne of cash to spend, I'll likely be back at the shop tommorrow looking for something under $10cdn. I think I'm hooked already

Looks like a great community here and I look forward to chatting with you all!

E.

Filipino, born and raised. Now living in Sherwood Park Alberta, Canada

Wink

e,

i believe that the one you got is a Philippine cigar. if it has a red band with a gold trim that says 'Tabacalera La Flor de La Isabela' then im sure that's it.

funny how they made it all the way to Canada. i must say it is a decent cigar, and it would be a good first step for you in your new love for cigars.

it is a pretty mild cigar, but very flavorful and aromatic. i used to smoke those a lot when i started out. back here you can find them all over the place for just around $0.50. i prefer the corona and robusto sizes. it is a nutty, earthy and toasty smoke, with a very mild finish. it is a good value for what you pay for, but im sure you will outgrow them pretty soon as you discover other smokes.

one good cigar i can recommend for starters is Macanudo. try anything that you can find, or just about any cigar for that matter. it is a good way to develop your tastes and find out which ones you really like.

i hear that cigars in Canada can be way overpriced. same here. i advise you, as i do, to do some online shopping. there are many great deals out there and you dont have to pay so much for good smokes.

btw, which size did you buy? be sure to tell us how it goes.

welcome and i hope you enjoy your stay here.

Chris
    You are what you eat. That's why I'm a fat bastard.

Blog Entries

I'm not a big Macanudo fan BUT I gotta say, they are a good cigar for someone new to smoking cigars (a bit overpriced and over hyped though). They were one of the first hand rolled cigars I smoked back when I first started. Chris is right, they are on the mild side but try one and see what you think. I like full-bodied smokes so I'm not a good person to offer advice on this topic.

This place needs a "Newbie Sampler Trade Thread"
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 04-25-2005 at 11:36 PM.

Thanks for the replys! The cigar was the Long Corona sized one... I think I got that right based on the cigarcyclopedia. 6" long and 42 ring guage. I smoked it last night... it was mild but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I won't get too much deeper than that until I get more experience and understand more about the flavours.

There is something very nice about kicking back with a cigar and enjoying the quietness of the night.

I think I'm going to try the Macanudo you've suggested as well as something a little more full-flavoured.

E.

Thread Information