Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hola from Cayo Hueso (and where to shop in Barcelona question)

1. Default Hola from Cayo Hueso (and where to shop in Barcelona question)

[/Obligatory new user post mode]

Hi! I'm Eric.

Here's a shout-out to all from the wonderful island of Key West, Florida -- original Cigar Capital of the United States. We're only 90 miles from Habana, and here's a big "no comment" to the earlier post today on whether one can get Cuban cigars in the U.S. that aren't actually counterfeits.

Here's a question -- background info first:

I'm heading to Barcelona next month for a little R&R with the missus. Spain, as most people know, is the leading consumer of Habanos. Nearly half of the annual production goes to Spain. Me, I would NEVER purchase a Cuban cigar anywhere. (That would violate our well-thought-out and highly-successful embargo. )

But I have this friend -- let's call him "Erik" who coincidentally is ALSO going to Barcelona next month.

Erik is from, uh, Canada. Yeah, that's it - Canada. And he loves Montecristo No. 2s. In fact, the Montecristo No. 2 is the only Cuban cigar he's smoked.

Here comes the two-part question:

Are the tobacco shops in Spain generally counterfeit-free? (Assuming of course, shopping at a good-sized establishment with a large inventory with "normal" prices.) And, can anyone recommend a tobacconist in Barcelona?

Then, if you knew someone who likes Montecristo No. 2s, what other cigars would you recommend to this person to broaden his appreciation for Habanos? (Extra credit -- and why do you recommend these cigars?)

Thanks!

(Any geeks, nerds, tinkers and propellerheads please slide down to the accessories forum to check out my proposal to create "Humitron 2100" -- the ultimate humidifier.)

Eric
    Key West
    Florida

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

3. Default

Having never smoked an ISOM myself, all I can tell you is my brother likes Monte 2s, and ISOM Romeo y Julieta #2s. Hope you and Erik have a fun time in spain.
    Life: Sexually transmitted, always fatal.

What? Do the whole thing over again and see how much support you get. Nive, indirect attempt IMO
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

In fact, which worse is than... ...what in your 0pinion? Please help and give some details you little bitch? Please prove me wrong....
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

wow, in hindight, those are strong words. Name the cigar and give a review, pretty please...

--Drive-By Truckers

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by HarvInSTL View Post
    No dice -- this company doesn't have a Barcelona branch. Thanks, though.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by slcraiders View Post
    In fact, which worse is than... ...what in your 0pinion? Please help and give some details you little bitch? Please prove me wrong....
    Am I missing something here? I say hello, and ask what I consider a reasonable (and guideline-friendly) question, and get called a "little bitch?" Is this your normal way of greeting people? Or am I somehow special?

Your three-in-a-row posts also make absolutely no sense. If you're going to hit me with ad hominem weirdness, at least send private messages...

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ScoopKW View Post
    Am I missing something here? I say hello, and ask what I consider a reasonable (and guideline-friendly) question, and get called a "little bitch?" Is this your normal way of greeting people? Or am I somehow special?

Your three-in-a-row posts also make absolutely no sense. If you're going to hit me with ad hominem weirdness, at least send private messages...
    i dont have any idea what hes talking about either, let me know if you find out.
    Life: Sexually transmitted, always fatal.

bigpoppapuff Guest

as much as i know about cubans...i've always been led to believe that the cuban cigars in spain are the best...i think others more knowledgable about them can help....

i have no idea what SLC was talking about,and i consider him a friend.....i liked your intro..

11. Default

I believe I've aroused the man's ire by suggesting that buying cigars in Barcelona might be fun, and by suggesting (elsewhere) that a certain humidifier is basically a glorified toy.

At least I'm not the only one who can't understand the posts.

[/Obligatory new user post mode]
    Are the tobacco shops in Spain generally counterfeit-free? (Assuming of course, shopping at a good-sized establishment with a large inventory with "normal" prices.) And, can anyone recommend a tobacconist in Barcelona?

Then, if you knew someone who likes Montecristo No. 2s, what other cigars would you recommend to this person to broaden his appreciation for Habanos? (Extra credit -- and why do you recommend these cigars?)

Thanks!

(Any geeks, nerds, tinkers and propellerheads please slide down to the accessories forum to check out my proposal to create "Humitron 2100" -- the ultimate humidifier.)

Eric
    Key West
    Florida
    Hello and welcome to CS. To mebbe clarify SLCs comment, my thought would be that your initial posts might seem a little pretentious, cocky, and sarcastic. Which may or may not be the case, may or may not be your personality, and may or may not be your intention. But as a very, very new person to the board, it might come across a little over the top - may not be to all, but might be to some. SLC's just watching out for the board - we get a lot of one-post- or one-agenda- wonders.

Stick around, let the folks get to know you before getting very colorful, offer quality, not necessarily quantity posts, and you'll do fine.

As a rule of thumb, the only shop you can get credible ISOMs are from LCDH (thanks HarvInSTL). That being said, I'd love to hear the shops if folks are willing to make mention.

Cheers.
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

Quote Originally Posted by mauied1101 View Post
    Hello and welcome to CS. To mebbe clarify SLCs comment, my thought would be that your initial posts might seem a little pretentious, cocky, and sarcastic. Which may or may not be the case, may or may not be your personality, and may or may not be your intention. But as a very, very new person to the board, it might come across a little over the top - may not be to all, but might be to some. SLC's just watching out for the board - we get a lot of one-post- or one-agenda- wonders.

Stick around, let the folks get to know you before getting very colorful, offer quality, not necessarily quantity posts, and you'll do fine.

As a rule of thumb, the only shop you can get credible ISOMs are from LCDH (thanks HarvInSTL). That being said, I'd love to hear the shops if folks are willing to make mention.

Cheers.
    Are you going to Spain?

and I Appologize. Nice intro and I was out of line... Mixed up threads.
    Last edited by slcraiders; 10-11-2006 at 07:12 PM.

--Drive-By Truckers

Quote Originally Posted by cls515 View Post
    Are you going to Spain?
    yeeeeup. and france, italy, tunisia, and malta to boot.

SO ANYONE RECOMMEND ANY CUBANS I CAN GET THERE? BUT ONLY THE REAL ONES. AND ONLY THE REAL CUBANS THAT ARE NOT FARM-ROLLED.

sorry, got carried away. Yup, third wedding anniversary trip coming up. Over two weeks of no work, no laptop, no blackberry. Aaaaahhhhhhhh.

16. Default

Are you going to Spain?
    Yes -- I'll be in Barcelona in Thanksgiving.

I'm looking for info on two things:

1 -- Can anyone recommend a good tobacconist in Barcelona? (At the risk of sounding "over the top," "cocky," or "sarcastic" -- please reply only if you live in Barcelona, or if you have bought a cigar there recently.)

2 -- Assuming a good tobacconist can be found in Barcelona, what ISOMs would you suggest for someone whose only experience is the Montecristo 2 (which was highly enjoyed).

PS -- What is the "LCZH" acronym a couple posts up?

PPS -- Shouldn't it be ISOKW instead of ISOM? There are HUNDREDS of islands South of Miami. But only one island lies due south of Key West.
    Last edited by ScoopKW; 10-11-2006 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mauied1101 View Post
    yeeeeup. and france, italy, tunisia, and malta to boot.

SO ANYONE RECOMMEND ANY CUBANS I CAN GET THERE? BUT ONLY THE REAL ONES. AND ONLY THE REAL CUBANS THAT ARE NOT FARM-ROLLED.

sorry, got carried away. Yup, third wedding anniversary trip coming up. Over two weeks of no work, no laptop, no blackberry. Aaaaahhhhhhhh.
    Awesome congratulations. I don't know anything about the cigars but I think these guys do: http://www.winespectator.com/Cigar/C...,2563,,00.html
    and La Casa del Habano is THE store.

bigpoppapuff Guest

scoop....ISOM kinda flows better....

make nice with SLC...he apologized....the world'll be a better place if CC can get his shorts unwadded....

Yes -- I'll be in Barcelona in Thanksgiving.

I'm looking for info on two things:

1 -- Can anyone recommend a good tobacconist in Barcelona? (Please, someone who either lives there, or who has shopped there already.)
    I'll be there a couple weeks before you - if I see any, I'll let you know (really).

2 -- Assuming a good tobacconist can be found in Barcelona, what ISOMs would you suggest for someone whose only experience with ISOMs is the Montecristo 2 (which was enjoyed).
    My first "search" hit

Also SLR, San Cristobal...

PS -- What is the "LCZH" acronym a couple posts up?
    La Case Del Habano - Harv posted the link.

PPS -- Shouldn't it be ISOKW instead of ISOM? There are HUNDREDS of islands South of Miami. But only one island lies due south of Key West.
    See my first post in this thread. Yes, you are correct - but it's the only island in that area relevant to this site. Sorry for the subtlety.

Awesome congratulations. I don't know anything about the cigars but I think these guys do: http://www.winespectator.com/Cigar/C...,2563,,00.html
    and La Casa del Habano is THE store.
    Sweet - thanks!

Thread Information