Thread: Peach Hard Cider

Default Peach Hard Cider

I'm making this batch this weekend so I may update this if needed:

To make 10 gallons of sparkling peach hard cider. (Divide by 2 for 5 gallons)

10 pounds of peaches, ripe.
    11 gallons of fresh or pasturized cider.
    Juice of one lemon (fresh)
    3 teaspoons of yeast husks, or yeast nutrients
    filing of your choice
    3 lbs. of Honey
    4 packs of a high alcohol tolerant ale yeast or wine yeast if you want sweet hard cider or 2 packs of champagne yeast if you want a dry cider.

First you peal and pit the peaches. Place peaches in a large bowl, crush peaches and reserve the juice. Don't puree the peaches it will just make for a major pain in the ass down the road. Leave them in pieces about the side of a tootsie roll. Then place in a plastic bag or tupper ware and freeze. (You don't have to freeze but it will help break down the cell walls and release additional flavor) Do this part anytime.

This next step, while preferred, is optional if you don't have enough parts to do this.

Now about a day before you do the batch take one (1) gallon of fresh cider or 1/2 gallon of pasturized cider and one teaspoon of yeast nutrients and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 mins. Then stick the pot in the fridge. If you used the 1/2 gallon of pasturized cider you can now add the pre-chilled other 1/2 gallon to speed up the process. You want to get the temp of the cider down to about 70 degrees.
    Once at 70 degrees, split the gallon in half and place each in a 1 gallon glass jug, you can get these for about 5 bucks at a kitchen store, and add equal amount of active yeast to each jug, add airlock and let sit for 24 to 48 hours. This is called a yeast starter. If you have enough large glass carboy you can do it in one batch.

Next you want to put ½ of your fruit (thawed) in a hops bag or mesh bag. You can get these at a brew store. If they don't have them go back to the kitchen store and buy some cheese cloth and wrap the fruit in it, tying it tightly.

(Do the following twice for 10 gallons or once if splitting the receipt)

If you have pasturized cider (which will make this receipt easier if you have limited pot sizes) add 1 1/2 gallons to a pot, add yeast nutrients and bring to a boil, add 1.5 lbs. Honey and 1/2 juice of one lemon and boil for 10 min. Shut off heat, wait for the boiling to stop and place 1/2 of the peaches, in a bag, in the pot. Keep the temp at 180 to 190 degrees for about 20 min and the fruit will be pasturized. Then dump the pot, fruit and all, into a plastic fermentation bucket. Add the remaining 3.5 gallons of cold cider (keep it in fridge over night or even pop it in the freezer 30 min. before this point) and dump it into the fermentation bucket. Now put the top on and shake it, or stir it, or if you brew a lot and have an oxygen thing, which is basically a fish tank pump with an aerator stone, use that, and aerate the cider. Then place it in a cool place until the temp falls to 70 or so degrees. Now take the yeast starter you made a day or two ago and dump the entire contents of the gallon jug, or 1/2 the contents if you did just one batch in a carboy, into the fermenter. Or just add the yeast straight out of the pack. Place on top, secure airlock, and leave it for two weeks.
    After two weeks, remove the fruit bag, and rack the cider in to a clean glass carboy, adding the filings. (Filings are a additive that helps clear the liquid so that any suspended stuff falls to the bottom - ask the person at the brew store which to buy for cider) Let it keep fermenting and rack it again in about a month. Again, rack and ferment for another month, and then each subsequent month, until all fermentation stops and cider has become clear. Then bottle like any other beer. Let it sit for a month in the bottle outside the fridge and then in the fridge for at least a couple of weeks up to a month. Then start trying them. High alcohol cider can take up to a year to really hit it's peak but this stuff should ready after the first month in the bottles.

If you are using fresh cider you will need to boil the entire 5 gallons with the yeast nutrients, honey and lemon, then use a wort chiller to bring the temp down. After that, it's the same process.

For ten gallons you will need two plastic fermentation buckets, four glass carboys and 2 one gallon jugs.
    For 5 gallons, you will need 1/2 that, obviously.

If you just getting start and have just bought a brew kit that comes with just one bucket, you will need to buy at least one glass carboy or another bucket and go back and forth between them.
    Last edited by nhcigarfan; 10-16-2006 at 04:18 PM.

Blog Entries

Wow

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

What she said. Man Tyler, I bet this stuff's like out-of this-world hellagood and then kicks you right in the nuts if you don't respect it.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

HOLY CRAP! That sounds really good but I completely lack the means to make it on my own.

Would you be interested in maybe selling a bottle of your next batch
    Seatbelts save lives, my best friend and I are alive because of them.

Nobody is ever gone as long as there is someone to remember them.

Very nice. Too bad peaches are out of season here now, otherwise I would be making up a few gallons.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Dang, you drive down this way with a trunk full I'd buy
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Damn, that reminds me, I need to get into home brewing.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

The bastards around here won't sell you cider unles they taint it with those heinous preservatives that prevent fermentation. New laws make it mandatory. Any cider sold under the quantity of 1000 gallons must be pasturized and preserved. It completely screws the home brewer.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth View Post
    The bastards around here won't sell you cider unles they taint it with those heinous preservatives that prevent fermentation. New laws make it mandatory. Any cider sold under the quantity of 1000 gallons must be pasturized and preserved. It completely screws the home brewer.
    Group buy?
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring View Post
    Group buy?
    I'll take take 10, you take 990? I get the feeling even if I wanted to buy that much, there's some other hoop I'd have to jump through. The simple fact of the matter is that the new law probably means they can be held completely liable for any food poisoning damages their juice causes if they don't don't take all precautions humanly possible to prevent it. That means they'd prefer not to sell untreated juice to an end consumer, period. The damn lawsuits these days fuck it all up for everyone.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

When you say cider, is that just apple juice (concentrated)?
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Nope, fresh pressed apple cider.

But you can make it will apple juice or concentrate you just have to make sure it is 100% juice, no additional sugars and that you are buying pasturized.

Watch carefully for preservatives (sodium benzoate, etc.). You don't want any at all. They inhibit microbial activity, preventing proper fermentation. I tried fermenting some once before I knew better. I had to add a TON of yeast with three huge starters to overcome the chemicals. By the time it was fermented, it had oxidized and tasted marginal at best.

yep - if you're going to use commerical juice get "juicy juice" or "apple and eva" or one of the expensive ones made for kids that say's 100% (type of juice you're buying) and pasturized.

I made some blueberry mead from an apple juice based blueberry juice and it tastes like blueberry honey wine. Pretty tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    yep - if you're going to use commerical juice get "juicy juice" or "apple and eva" or one of the expensive ones made for kids that say's 100% (type of juice you're buying) and pasturized.

I made some blueberry mead from an apple juice based blueberry juice and it tastes like blueberry honey wine. Pretty tasty.
    Guess it's time to start experimenting... :)

Default Hard cider again

gave it it's own thread

Thread Information