Thread: Limewire linked to Identity Theft

Default Limewire linked to Identity Theft

This is making the headlines in Denver this morning. Don't know if it's hit the national news yet, but anyone using it ought to be aware

http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?O...7-c589c01ca7bf

could never get that crap to work on this computer anyways. i use a thing call torrents.

Any file sharing program like limewire allows access to your computer. If you don't set it up correctly, you could allow others access to your sensitive files. In a search, I was shocked at the personal files that were available. Some link their upload file location to their "My Documents" folder, which typically is full of your personal and sometimes confidential information. Bottom line - if you don't know what exactly you're doing with those programs - you probably shouldn't do it...

BTW - much worse than that is the amount of viruses that are in the files throughout Limewire world. I'd be far more afraid of that...

Gotta use some common sense on there.Don't download any files that seem too small for what they are e.g a video file smaller than 1 Mb.Most viruses are small files.Limewire forums is a great place with a wealth of info.

The server portion of the software leaves a port wide open and there is software out there that crawls the web, interrogates your pc and is able to send anything on your disk back to the originator. It has nothing to do with downloading or running anything. Firewalls or security software cant stop it because it is data passing through a port that you opened up. Just installing the P2P software makes your data vulnerable.

Alll P2P file sharing software has the same vulnerabilities.

Its all about torrents. If you're using that piece of crap Limewire you deserve to get your identity stolen.
    End of line.

Wow! It is true. Within 3 minutes I had a scanned image of somebody's (valid) drivers license and social security card.

Dumbasses.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring View Post
    Wow! It is true. Within 3 minutes I had a scanned image of somebody's (valid) drivers license and social security card.

Dumbasses.
    Good job Drew! A couple of more clicks, and you can set up a credit card with the info.

Then use the credit card to buy a couple dozen boxes of high priced coobans.

I want halfsies for the idea .
    In spite of all evidence to the contrary, the entire universe is composed of only two basic substances: Magic and bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    Good job Drew! A couple of more clicks, and you can set up a credit card with the info.

Sweet, I'm in!

But no more coobans here, customs has my address flagged now

I agree, once I was doing a search and found 1000's of personal emails! Most were boring, but there were a few that were pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Any file sharing program like limewire allows access to your computer. If you don't set it up correctly, you could allow others access to your sensitive files. In a search, I was shocked at the personal files that were available. Some link their upload file location to their "My Documents" folder, which typically is full of your personal and sometimes confidential information. Bottom line - if you don't know what exactly you're doing with those programs - you probably shouldn't do it...

BTW - much worse than that is the amount of viruses that are in the files throughout Limewire world. I'd be far more afraid of that...
    "Frankenstien never scared me. Marsupials do, because they’re fast." - Kevin Pollak as Christopher Walken

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post

Well, I managed to find a scanned credit card...front and back. Along with a pile of credit card authorization forms...filled out with the holder's full name, cc number, expiry date and address.

I even found some documents penned by the CFO of a large company.

Some people

This is the scariest thing I have seen on the internet!

I thought you guys were exaggerating, so I downloaded the program (after checking for any sensitive files on my PC).

Just like Drew said, in a few minutes of fooling around, I have credit card numbers, login names to banks, drivers licence numbers etc.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWidow View Post
    Its all about torrents. If you're using that piece of crap Limewire you deserve to get your identity stolen.
    I got a buisness file that lists customers total credit information.

What if your idiot kid downloads the program? Or, like I said, one of the files came from what looked like a small buisness. What if some dumb secretary installs the program on her work PC?

This thing should not be out there.

Thanks for the heads up fellas.
    In spite of all evidence to the contrary, the entire universe is composed of only two basic substances: Magic and bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWidow View Post
    So what are torrents? Ive heard the term before but never knew what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by WOXOF View Post
    So what are torrents? Ive heard the term before but never knew what it was.
    Torrents are the best way to share files right now. With programs like Limewire, Napster, and DirectConnect, users select a folder(s) that they wish to share with everyone else. When you try to download a file, you are searching the other user's shared folders and hoping someone has what you are looking for.

A torrent is a small file that contains the information of the file you're trying to get. This way, you can get small pieces of the file from many users who may or may not have the entire thing. The result is much faster and reliable downloads and as far as know is much more secure.

PM me if you want to know how to get it to work.
    End of line.

Thread Information