Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was your first cigar? First box purchase?

SFG75 Guest

Default What was your first cigar? First box purchase?

Someone posted this on another forum that I'm a member of-thought it would be an interesting thread here as well.

-What was the first cigar that you smoked?

-What was the first box that you purchased?

For me, my first stogie was a Sacuba corona from the local gas station. The brother in law had a friend who was really into cigars and everytime we visited this station, we'd start talking about them and the collection that his best bud had. Anyways, we threw caution to the wind and purchased two cigars in the glass case display. We didn't have cutters, so we used our mouths!. The only good side to this story is that both cigars were long-fillers, which is pretty impressive when you consider that the vast majority of cigars in those kinds of places are short/mix fil.

First box purchase?-Roi Tans. American-machine made cigars. I bought these more out of sentimental reasons than anything else. My grandfather smoked boxes of these things. When he died, I don't know how many boxes that he had of them in various closets. They are a decent smoke, but of course, only good in the realm of the non-serious uber-smoker. My first real box?-Onyx reserves, which I've purchased another three times.

Default The Swish Dish

Swisher Sweet, oh what a headache.

Box purchase-H. Upmann Cristales No. 43, only 39 bucks, hooah!

I went all in, as they say, with my first purchase. I was in Jamaica and saw one of those "too good to be true" deals on a box of Monte #2s. I bought it for $275 and smoked half of them while in Jamaica and brought back the other half. I was hooked from that point.

I now realize that the box I spent $275 on was as fake as a $3 bill, but I keep the last two or three of them for laughs and as a reminder of how I got into this hobby.

SFG75 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cockyhoskins
    I went all in, as they say, with my first purchase. I was in Jamaica and saw one of those "too good to be true" deals on a box of Monte #2s. I bought it for $275 and smoked half of them while in Jamaica and brought back the other half. I was hooked from that point.

I now realize that the box I spent $275 on was as fake as a $3 bill, but I keep the last two or three of them for laughs and as a reminder of how I got into this hobby.
    LOL-I won't feel so bad for having such low quality, cheapies to start me out on. It's good that you can laugh about it now though.

Default Punch Rothchild Double Maduro

Very first cigar in Jan. 05. Followed that up by a Punch Gran Puro the very next day. Both very nice.

Have yet to buy a whole box. I have spent my money on trying many different brands, sizes, shapes and strengths of cigars.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

Default Depends on.........

what one would interpret as first.

Somewhere around the age of twelve my friends and I got some Tiajuana Smalls and smoked those. God I remember throwing up later. Severe nicotine OD. That was when TS's were new on the market. Geez...I'm dating myself!

Many years later after smoking cigarettes for a while I was on this kick with Parodi's.

But my first real cigar was a Macanudo. I don't remember which for sure. A Toro sized. Duke of York???

My first box purchase was a box of Punch Rothchilds EMS. A great inexpensive cigar and looks real pretty when you open the box!

Hey MMAB, have the same pic in your avatar as a tattoo on the back of my calf.

My first smoke was a Drew Estates Kahlua.

No boxes as of yet.

8. Default

i've had swisher sweets, but i dont consider that a cigar...my first real cigar was a montecristo tubo, i was with some ppl at the mall, walked into a cigar shop, and i thought i try a good cigar, i was hooked from there on. havent bought a full box of anything yet, maybe i'll get a box of diablo picantes...

Default Philly blunts, baby

I started out when I was around 12 years old smoking any kind of cigars I could get my hands on, which were usually Philly titans, blunts, cheroots, etc. Later I began getting into black and milds, backwoods, swisher sweets, and yes, the Dutchmasters.

My first box purchase was "Spirit of cuba" by Alec Bradey (I think). Not a bad cigar when its left to age for a bit...
    Last edited by Yeagermeister; 04-28-2005 at 09:09 PM.
    With glasses high, we raised a cry - freedom had arrived

i'm new to cigar smoking. my brother-in-law introduced me to cigars last year at the local ren faire. i'm not sure what kind it was. but my first one that i bought was a Diablo. i enjoyed it alot.

edit: forgot to say that i haven't bought a box yet.

11. Default

does box of sampler count? if it does, i just got 2 boxes of perdomo cabinet series, and wow, they look good! 10 bucks a piece can not be beat, i hope they smoke as good as they look, oh boy, i can not wait.

If samplers are counted, my first "box" would be the Diablo sampler I picked up yesterday.

SFG75 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mithril
    i'm new to cigar smoking. my brother-in-law introduced me to cigars last year at the local ren faire. i'm not sure what kind it was. but my first one that i bought was a Diablo. i enjoyed it alot.

edit: forgot to say that i haven't bought a box yet.
    I don't know what it is about brother in laws, that's who got me started as well. Wow, taking on the strength of the diablo as a rookie aficionado, man-you definitely earnedy our stripes there. Not a bad cigar to start out with.

Default Hey PUFF!

Isn't that ironic!!!!!!!

I have a tattoo of a dragon on my left upper arm.

Is there some meaning to this?

Hmmmmmm..........we have a connection!

Good smokes to ya Puff!

Mark a.k.a. MMAB

Blog Entries

Both were so long ago, I have no idea.

Filipino, born and raised. Now living in Sherwood Park Alberta, Canada

Local : Tabacalera La Flor de la Isabela 25's

NC : Sancho Panza Double Maduro Cervantes 20's

Cubans : too expensive to get a box. just singles and 3-packs for me.
    You are what you eat. That's why I'm a fat bastard.

my first was a baccarat Churchill man i got screwed on that. I paid 70 bux for 10 of those at my local cigar shop. thompsons has them for 90 for a box of 25.

My first box was a of kahlua robusto's which I already regret because I bought some samplers of cigars rated over 90 and have found that I like some of them alot more. Not that I won't smoke the kahluas though, I still like them.

my first real cigar was last friday. it was a Romeo y julieta 1875 cedros deluxe #2. and i have not bought a box yet. oh and man i got screwed too. that single was $15. serious cigars has them for 3.60 each.

Partagas Black Bravos... Good if you let them rest for awhile to mellow out.

Growing up I know I got my hands on a few cigars here and there... They were bone dry, sometimes even cracking and falling apart. I can't even remember what kinds they were. I do know however that I tried inhaling every now and then... I don't really even count those cigars as being my first I hadn't smoked a cigar in years until a few months ago. My friend gave me a romeo y Julieta habana corona after having had his first kid. I didn't have a cigar cutter either so I just bit the end off. I enjoyed it thoroughly for just over an hour. I didn't inhale any of it. About a month later I quit smoking cigarettes. Then a month after that I bought myself a celebratory cigar for not having smoked cigarettes! I've been hooked ever since...

My first box, after having tried various singles, was 25 Cuban Quintero coronas. At about 10 bucks a pop they are a good deal and smoke

Thread Information