Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Secret Santa Thread '06

bigpoppapuff Guest

i just got a pm from one of the guys....he surmised that perhaps the reason i'm not going to play has something to do with not wanting to send a fun-pack to someone who i may have had a problem with.....absolutely not!!!

if i were to get baka as my recipient,he'd get the same as i've sent to anyone.....here's my argument....for those of you who've ever received a package from me....were you disappointed??...

i don't want to be told that i should send 4 cigars worth $5/stick...minimum....because i'd probably send out anywhere between 12-20 cigars that might total $80-$100 in MSRP value(or more)..

but if there aren't 4 or 5 that MSRP is $5 or more...i'm the grinch???

bullshit.....i've been in secret santa's since the jrbb days and nobody has ever complained...

some of the guys at our city mission will enjoy the cigars...

Yep, that's the way it goes.

But the base to the package must be 4 to 5 cigars of no less than 5 dollar value. Anything else is in the package is Ho. Ho. Ho. a present.

Now I won't say his name but my santa from last year, besides a great bottle of red wine and some fantastic smokes, sent these awesome suger and spice pecan's. Dam where those good. I don't think they made it past day one.

He said I couldn't have the family receipt... I'll keep waiting

'='='''=='''''''=''='''' <---- sleigh bells or something! I'm in!
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post

Well, there ya go - you shoulda asked him for the recipe!
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

5. Default

Let me get this right...$5 catalog price...Not $5 MSRP...

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Well, there ya go - you shoulda asked him for the recipe!

I remember asking him and I remember his answer was no.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post

*ahem* Instead of the receipt. At any rate, that bastard probably can't spell either.
    - Tom Robbins

*ahem* Instead of the receipt. At any rate, that bastard probably can't spell either.
    don't let CC see that.

Default Im in

Im in PM Sent

If you hadn't pointed that out I never would have figured it out.

Brenham, TX.....home of BlueBell Ice Cream!

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    Let me get this right...$5 catalog price...Not $5 MSRP...

You can use CI.com as a guide for pricing. They have a singles page just like MANY other sites have a singles area. Use those sites as a guide to gauge whether a smoke is a $5 smoke or not.

bigpoppapuff Guest

a cigars' selling price is the MSRP from the manufacturer or distributor....it IS NOT established by CI or JR or ANY internet site....their pricing is not the MSRP......

i don't want to piss in your cereal,hutch...but,imho,you're off to a bad start with this....you're shutting out newbies and some FOG's.......i don't give a flying fuck what someone sends me...i'll appreciate whatever they felt was a good gift....someone will not get one of my packages....too bad....i suggest you take another look at your rules and maybe let everyone have a chance to participate.....

rant OFF...carry on...

count me in on this
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

I think both BPP and Hutch have their points.

This whole idea is about giving and not $4 MSRP or $5 MSRP. If I am correct those guidelines are there simply to make sure people get decent smokes and not dog rockets. In reality only the more premium cigars (VSG, Opus, Paddy Aniv ) are easy to look MSRP on most others are not unless you are in the trade. So an online retailer like CI is a good source but not an all end all for this info. For example nobody buys regular cigars buy the stick at places like CI, also take CAO Brazilia go for example a 5er is $25 at CI but $16 at Famous -- so hw does one value the stick, there are also shipping costs involved , etc, etc, etc.

My suggestion is rather than putting an absolute $$$ value on the cigars just make sure they are quality sticks. This is a good faith effort after all.

For those who are maybe new and want some guidance on the prices this might be a good reference

http://www.cigarcyclopedia.com/cigar...ces_cigars.php

you will find almost any cigar here and see what the prices are ( by the way great tool for any day comparison shopping as prices are updated daily ) Take a price on a 5er and divide by 5 -- no rocket science and you will see the cost per stick.

Once again to back BPP's point I am sure anyone will be happy with his fun pack ( I have seen it personally and can vouch for its quality ) maybe not all cigars are $5 or higher but all are quality smokes none the less ( if anyone feels that Antano at $4 is a louse stick I will take donations )

Hutch you also have a great point to make sure that people do get quality cigars and not just something someone is trying to get rid off.

So lets just have a compromise to maybe say simply quality cigars ( Ex: Fonseca, Antano, Indian Tabac, etc are still good cigars even if not $5 or more) Bundles ( we all know what those are ) are not to be part of the base package but can be included as extras -- anyone here would be lying is they would say they don't enjoy a good yard gar every once in a while.

Lets all just have fun and send a package with the idea that you yourself would be happy to be on the receiving end of that bomb
    Last edited by CgarDan; 11-01-2006 at 09:14 PM.

Suggestion:

If anyone has questions about anything, run it by hutch first - that's what he's here for.

Reason:

Some cigars that are hard to find are often sold way above MSRP. Ex: AF 858 SG. This MSRP's for $3.10, average price paid is $7, and no telling where the high end is. But, as it's a rarity, and a great cigar, I'd definitely say it qualifies for this pass. About the same thing for some of the Hemingways.

Now let's have some goddamn fun with this.
    - Tom Robbins

bigpoppapuff Guest

So lets just have a compromise to maybe say simply quality cigars ( Ex: Fonseca, Antano, Indian Tabac, etc are still good cigars even if not $5 or more) Bundles ( we all know what those are ) are not to be part of the base package but can be included as extras -- anyone here would be lying is they would say they don't enjoy a good yard gar every once in a while.

this would be the proper way to do it...imho..

bigpoppapuff Guest

hutch...you run it any way you want....piss on the newbies and some of the FOG's who i know are unhappy with it...ted,you're right...i'm wrong....as i said earlier...i'll drop off a bunch of cigars at the city mission....

Sid, if I got you as my receipient, I'd honor the SS and send you some great sticks, no worries - i'm not one to hold a grudge and I've always participated in all passes, trades and the like with honor.

Brenham, TX.....home of BlueBell Ice Cream!

Mmmk, since there seems to be so much drama about this topic, I'll go ahead and revise the rules. I'm not here to keep people from playing, I'm just organizing. I'll revise rules here in a second. The new rule is as follows as to what smokes you can send......You must send ATLEAST 4 "quality" smokes. If you have a question as to whether a smoke is a "quality" smoke or not, you may PM me or any other person on the board who you think knows what they're talking about.

BPP my intentions were never to push people away or discourage newbies from participating, I was just using last years rules as a guide for this years rules, but we all know rules have to be revised from time to time. SO BPP go ahead and PM me your name and addy and we'll def. get you in on this years Secret Santa contest.

PM sent

Thread Information