Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tabacconist vs internet pricing

*Group in monotone voice

"HELLO ANDREW"

Come to New Hampshire. Live Free or Die. No cigar tax.

I enjoy going to my local's. I like the people working there and I like having a lot of choices. I order boxes online when I can't get them locally. But my local's can generally beat any online price also.

Case in point, I search for the best deal on La Flor Dominicana Lanceros. Found a box for 162. Great price, free shipping. Got them at Rocky's. Good to deal with.

The next week my local got in 2 boxes of lanceros and they are selling at 162.

The kicker is most cigar types up here have no idea what those are and he still has the two boxes.

Also, for you VSG fans. He has probably close to 15 boxs, at least one of each size except for the wizards and his prices are just as good as any I have found to date on the boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    Come to New Hampshire. Live Free or Die. No cigar tax.

I enjoy going to my local's. I like the people working there and I like having a lot of choices. I order boxes online when I can't get them locally. But my local's can generally beat any online price also.

Case in point, I search for the best deal on La Flor Dominicana Lanceros. Found a box for 162. Great price, free shipping. Got them at Rocky's. Good to deal with.

The next week my local got in 2 boxes of lanceros and they are selling at 162.

The kicker is most cigar types up here have no idea what those are and he still has the two boxes.

Also, for you VSG fans. He has probably close to 15 boxs, at least one of each size except for the wizards and his prices are just as good as any I have found to date on the boxes.
    Nice. What's the weather like down there? Can you smoke in the bars/clubs/etc.?

(Looks like NH is in the lead )
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    I pray everynight for God to deliver a B&M in Tupelo, MS. We have 3 discount shops, one of them has nothing more than a cigar case. Notice I said case, no humidification device. No one at these stores knows jack either. Another one has a walk-in, but strangely is extremely over priced. Although I would agree to pay this in order to fellowship with other BOTL, the workers here are clueless. One was a young teenage girl who talked on her cell phone the whole time, then asked me if I was 18 ... after she handed me my change.

I got the chance to visit one in Mephis a couple weeks back, and loved it. I sat there and talked humidor lingo with the owner, who was an older man. We would have had nothing else in common otherwise. So it was cool.
    It sounds like an opportunity. If you don't have a good B&M down there, why not start one.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    It sounds like an opportunity. If you don't have a good B&M down there, why not start one.
    i wish. 22 with no money.

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    i wish. 22 with no money.
    I am being serious. Don't let that stop you. Credit, SBL, work with distributors, etc. You say you are a Christian. While I don't practice religion, I have seen what internal faith and determinaton can do. If it's something you think you'd love, start going for it. Too many blow off their opportunities with exactly that kind of defeatist thought.

You can make signs or look for them

Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

You can make signs or look for them

nice! i wish i could. i am just getting started, so it may be too soon, but man would it be fun! thanks for the encouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by cigargirl View Post
    He's way over pricing them. You have a 15% Cigar tax in Mass. So at most he should be selling that Sorcerer for 11.95. Here in Florida with No Tax they sell for $10.40. Some B&M's will try to get top dollar for VSG, Opus, and Anjeio. Some shops will also vary their prices depending on whether they purchase the product direct or from a wholesaler (which they shouldn't do), or hike their prices due to their location (which they shouldn't do either).

Can I come live with you I know he's price gouging on some of his inventory but its the convience of being on my way home from work and only 10 mins away from my home that keeps me going back. There is a larger shop next city over that has much better pricing but its a really hassle to get there especially for a last minute decision to go pick up a smoke. Better planning on my part would resolve the issue.
    A girl phoned me the other day and said ... Come on over, there's nobody home. I went over. Nobody was home.
    -- Rodney Dangerfield

Blog Entries

I have actually been considering this, since only one of the B&M's here has any kind of smoking /lounging area, and it consists of 1 couch and 2 leather chairs that are right next to the cash register.

It is located in the "Old Town" area of Wichita amongst the bars-nightclubs-hi $ art shops etc.... My wife and I were down there for dinner a few nights ago and stopped in to check out the selection, and unfortunately, it was very uncomfortable for her. There were 3 or 4 guys sitting in the smoking area and when we came in all conversation came to a stop and we were basically stared at the entire time.....the proprietor offered no greeting, didn't come in the walk-in humidor to see what we were interested in or start any conversation at all......not my idea of a warm welcome or good customer service.

There is, to my knowledge, only one "cigar bar" in town, coincidentally also in the Old Town area and, again, its atsmophere is not very pleasant....very small, high priced drinks, everyone in suits or polo shirts.....basically kind of stuffy and smoky...if its too cold to sit outside on the patio, I never go.

Quote Originally Posted by cigargirl
    Ok... there's my 2 cent rant for the day. Hope I wasn't sounding B****Y.
    Not at all, this is what I was looking for. It is obvious to me that I just don't have the same quality of b&m locally that you offer to your customers!! I have no doubt that you run a wonderful operation and it sounds like anyone stopping in would be welcomed.

Maybe I'll start some hard-core research on the laws in KS...pretty freaking backwards state...regarding alcohol sales/cigar sales/ on-site smoking.......I am thinking a place where you could buy a bottle of Micro-brew beer.....a good stogie......take them with you, or plop down in a comfortable chair, crack the bottle and fire the stick, talk cigars or brew, watch some sports or whatever on a big screen and generally just lounge would be a wonderful place to "work" However, a town of only about 350K may not be able to support 6 cigar outlets..hmmmm.

Thanks to all of you for your input.

DEDGUMMIT!!!! Seriously, why would you spend money on boxes of cigars and a display case, and have to humidification device in there? I stopped by a shop, the one that gave me the free cigars last week, because they have the best prices in town. But like i said, they are just sitting in a display case! It's suppose to be a cabinet humidor, but sense there is no control in the humidity, its a freakin glass case! I can plainly see that there 1" hole at the bottom of it!

So I stormed out, of course not buying anything, and went one block over to a decent store with a walk-in. Number one, the walls are lined with plywood. plywood. granted, i checked the levels and it was 70/70 in there. Just looked trashy. anyways, there prices are outrageous. The only thing i can afford in there are the JR Alternatives! And they're overpriced!

Very aggrivating.

Just bought some single ghurka specials for 5 dollars a stick they are being cleared out ... good find a a local store.

Thread Information