Thread: Brandy

Default Brandy

A new favorite spirit of mine, drunk straight and at room temp or slightly warmed. Cheaper than Cognac, and usually a bit sweeter. It goes very well with Cigars.

Stay away from the really cheap brandy (E&J). Someone gave me that stuff years back. Blecchhh!!! The VSOP is drinkable though. The more expensive reserve brandies seem best of course.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth View Post
    A new favorite spirit of mine, drunk straight and at room temp or slightly warmed. Cheaper than Cognac, and usually a bit sweeter. It goes very well with Cigars.

Stay away from the really cheap brandy (E&J). Someone gave me that stuff years back. Blecchhh!!! The VSOP is drinkable though. The more expensive reserve brandies seem best of course.
    I'm more of a cognac kinda guy but have had brandy on some occasions... that was until the one time I had it after a holiday dinner, but had an extremely nasty flu attack which had me puking every half hour... haven't been able to touch the stuff since...

As with any spirit like whisky, congac, brandy never buy the el cheapo stuff. like you said... blech...

If you really enjoy a nice warm brandy you should get one of these: http://fantes.com/images/1839-3bar.jpg

never use it on Congac however. (Some people say you can, but Congac should really be at room temp+heat of your hand on the glass)

-W.
    Last edited by Monk; 11-15-2006 at 09:15 AM.
    The Internet - All the Piracy, None of the Scurvy

I think Cognac is technically a Brandy, correct? A Brandy made from Champagne instead of regular wine?
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I'm more of a cognac kinda guy but have had brandy on some occasions... that was until the one time I had it after a holiday dinner, but had an extremely nasty flu attack which had me puking every half hour... haven't been able to touch the stuff since...

As with any spirit like whisky, congac, brandy never buy the el cheapo stuff. like you said... blech...

If you really enjoy a nice warm brandy you should get one of these: http://fantes.com/images/1839-3bar.jpg

never use it on Congac however. (Some people say you can, but Congac should really be at room temp+heat of your hand on the glass)

-W.

I had a name for the cheap E&J after trying it. I called it "E"rk & "J"erk. Erk being the sound you make after drinking it, and Jerk being the involuntary muscle spasm that follows.

If i remember correctly:

Brandy is distilled from grapes or other fruit (cherry and apple (calvados) being common examples).

Cognac and Armagnac are varieties of brandy, cognac comes from the cognac region of france and is created from white wine, armagnac is made from the champagne grape.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

A good "cheap " brandy is a Mexican brand, the name escapes me at the moment, uh...
    Oh yeah, Presidente. A cork top, and it has a little ball in the spout, so it makes a cool siplickety-splick sound when you pour. I've gone through almost an entire bottle on New Years past, with barely a hangover. Now you've got me on another path... brandy with a good cigar, another good combo.

Thanks SJR, I've always wondered about that.

Speaking of brandies, have you guys seen the pear brandy that has a full sized pear in the bottle? I always wondered how they got it in there and figured they must somehow fuse the bottle around it. It winds up being much smpler than that. They put the bottle over the budding fruit on the tree and let the pear grow inside the bottle. Clever!

Thanks SJR, I've always wondered about that.

Speaking of brandies, have you guys seen the pear brandy that has a full sized pear in the bottle? I always wondered how they got it in there and figured they must somehow fuse the bottle around it. It winds up being much smpler than that. They put the bottle over the budding fruit on the tree and let the pear grow inside the bottle. Clever!
    Yeah, they do that with various schnapps/grappas in Germany and Italy.

As for the name of that Brandy Kenyth... hilarious description

Cognac (and Armanac) is a type of brandy, it is named after the region within which the two best growing regions are called Grande Champagne and Petite Champagne. Now, the thing is that describes the grape from which it is made. Also they are aged slightly differently than say a more traditional English brand of Brandy since it is moved to previously used barrels in order to prevent the taste being too "oaky". This is the reason I can still drink Cognac, but not an old school Brandy.

-W.

Post Asbach Uralt

Hello all. I grew fond of Asbach Uralt, a brandy made in the Rhineland Pfalz, while I was in the Air Force stationed in Germany in the late 80's/early 90's. I've never been a fan of beer, which is shame considering where I was stationed. For me it was always an asbach and coke. I still have an unopened bottle or two from the old days. I wonder if it's still good!

Cognac is distilled wine with sugar and water added.Hennesey V.S.O.P.kicks ash!!!
    "If it Bleeds We can Kill it"

Quote Originally Posted by SideWinder View Post
    Hello all. I grew fond of Asbach Uralt, a brandy made in the Rhineland Pfalz, while I was in the Air Force stationed in Germany in the late 80's/early 90's. I've never been a fan of beer, which is shame considering where I was stationed. For me it was always an asbach and coke. I still have an unopened bottle or two from the old days. I wonder if it's still good!

If it is unopened it won't go bad. Crack it open some special occasion with a cigar and enjoy! :)

No wonder you never got into beer, you need to be in Bavaria in Germany to get the good stuff ;)

-W.

Brandy and coke???? Good Brandy and coke?????
    Oh the humanity.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Quote Originally Posted by stjohnroe View Post
    Oh the humanity.
    It's a German thing. That's how they serve it in the bars. The whole time I was there I didnt see ANYONE drink or order it neat. Always with the cola. In fact, I dont think I've ever tried it neat. I drink my bourbon neat cause it's just wrong to mix coke with good bourbon.
    "Differences can be resolved in ways that are fair to all, but reason must prevail over passion if there is to be a climate conducive to the settlement of disagreements."
    Ronald Reagan in a speech given to the Supreme Soviet, September 17, 1990

Raynal VSOP Napolean Brandy

Just got it this week. Very nice and smooth to the pallete (sp?). Plus, under $10, it's a great deal.

Andrew
    Last edited by FunkyCold5; 12-22-2006 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stjohnroe View Post
    Oh the humanity.

LOL!

I was thinking the same thing, but I wasn't going to say anything.

Different cultures have different norms. For example, a popular asian drink these days is "beer and coke" from what I read. When I first heard it, I thought, "Beer and cola?! Good lord! What are these people, animals?". After I thought about for a little while and remembered my days in Korea, I understood. Most other countries don't have the variety of spirits we enjoy in america. They have to be creative. Bourbon for example, even "Jim Beam", is a rare luxury item usually reserved for visiting American business guests in Korea. The cheap stuff is the equivalent of $50 a bottle! Jack Daniels, if you can find it, is $75-$100 a bottle! Thus the reason the black market around military bases is such a problem. On the other hand, "Soju" (40-60 proof rice spirits) is cheap and plentiful. If you can find it in America, it goes for a hefty price.

LOL!

I was thinking the same thing, but I wasn't going to say anything.

Different cultures have different norms. For example, a popular asian drink these days is "beer and coke" from what I read. When I first heard it, I thought, "Beer and cola?! Good lord! What are these people, animals?". After I thought about for a little while and remembered my days in Korea, I understood. Most other countries don't have the variety of spirits we enjoy in america. They have to be creative. Bourbon for example, even "Jim Beam", is a rare luxury item usually reserved for visiting American business guests in Korea. The cheap stuff is the equivalent of $50 a bottle! Jack Daniels, if you can find it, is $75-$100 a bottle! Thus the reason the black market around military bases is such a problem. On the other hand, "Soju" (40-60 proof rice spirits) is cheap and plentiful. If you can find it in America, it goes for a hefty price.
    They have been drinking beer and cola, or beer and lemonade in Germany for ages

-W.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    They have been drinking beer and cola, or beer and lemonade in Germany for ages

-W.
    Really? In Germany? The homeland of great beer? What the hell for?

Sometimes, the world just doesn't make sense to me..........

BTW, thanks for shooting my hypothesis to hell.

Reviving another old thread.

I have been experimenting with different drinks with different cigars over the past year and have fallen in love with the brandy+maduro combo. I can't give my favorite brand cause I tend to pick up a different bottle everytime I finish one so I can't compare heads up, but I just love the smoothness and fruitiness of brandy with a rich cigar. I like the contrast. I find that scotch with a cigar that has parallel earthy, woody or oak notes tend to just blend together. I like variety in flavors. though some scotches that I have tried have a punch that clears the sinuses which allows me to pick up more aroma from the cigar.

Quote Originally Posted by victory01 View Post
    Reviving another old thread.

I have been experimenting with different drinks with different cigars over the past year and have fallen in love with the brandy+maduro combo. I can't give my favorite brand cause I tend to pick up a different bottle everytime I finish one so I can't compare heads up, but I just love the smoothness and fruitiness of brandy with a rich cigar. I like the contrast. I find that scotch with a cigar that has parallel earthy, woody or oak notes tend to just blend together. I like variety in flavors. though some scotches that I have tried have a punch that clears the sinuses which allows me to pick up more aroma from the cigar.
    The subtle spicy smokey sweetness in Brandy or Bourbon certainly compliments most of the cigars I like (Maduro is my favorite wrapper). That's also why I find that Ale's seem to work as well. A malty Belgian style abbey ale tastes GREAT with a medium bodied maduro smoke.

Blog Entries

The subtle spicy smokey sweetness in Brandy or Bourbon certainly compliments most of the cigars I like (Maduro is my favorite wrapper). That's also why I find that Ale's seem to work as well. A malty Belgian style abbey ale tastes GREAT with a medium bodied maduro smoke.
    I've been enjoying Sam Adams Boston lager with the majority of my smokes lately.....the hoppy bitterness seems to clear my palate and "liven" up the flavors in the cigar.

Thread Information