Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duel Citizenship

Default Duel Citizenship

I went online to Askmen.com and found out about ten countries which you can almost buy your self a duel citizenship. Belize appears to be the easiest among them, with $1000 deposit if you are over 45 and a non-Belize income of $24K. So for all you fellow turkey stuffed Americans, this is like a gravy train to Cuba! And a nice retirement place!
    Last edited by Cabaiguan Juan; 11-24-2006 at 04:54 PM.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Jon, I have a cousin who just moved to Belize. She loves it there.

Her & her daughter opened a Restaurant / Internet Cafe there and doing very well.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

I'm seriously thinking of retiring to either Central America or the Carribean, so that is good to hear. Want a nice quiet place where I can run a small business, smoke, drink and relax in my silver years.

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka View Post
    I'm seriously thinking of retiring to either Central America or the Carribean, so that is good to hear. Want a nice quiet place where I can run a small business, smoke, drink and relax in my silver years.
    I've often times thought about retiring to Costa Rica. Only 38 years and 2 months away!

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
    Jon, I have a cousin who just moved to Belize. She loves it there.

Her & her daughter opened a Restaurant / Internet Cafe there and doing very well.
    Hmm, might be the making of the next vacation destination. Do you, by chance, know anyone in Puerto Rico?
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Dual citizenship will not alter the potential impact to a US citizen with regards to the Cuban embargo.

Also, the State Department may require you to forfeit your US citizenship if you choose to become a citizen of another country. It's not the same as if you parent was a citizen or something.

If you are an American, you can go to Cuba by just flying out of either Canada or Mexico. Cuba doesn't stamp passports, they give you a seperate piece of paper just for this reason, so you won't have trouble getting back to U.S.A. Tons of Americans vacation in Cuba every year... Both times I have gone I have meet a couple Americans. Just fly down to Mexico(or Canada) and book a flight from there.... Getting duel citizenship seems like alot of work just to go when a $500 plane ride will do you just fine
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Quote Originally Posted by Cabaiguan Juan View Post
    snip... Do you, by chance, know anyone in Puerto Rico?
    Well, when I was in San Juan Puerto Rico for 5 hours on Monday, January 14, 2002, I did meet a bartender named Juan. Does that do you any good??
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
    Well, when I was in San Juan Puerto Rico for 5 hours on Monday, January 14, 2002, I did meet a bartender named Juan. Does that do you any good??
    Man, no last name? I'm going to have a heck of a time trying to find a bartender named Juan down there. Guess all my time will be spent buying Hurricane's instead of laying on the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Roham View Post
    If you are an American, you can go to Cuba by just flying out of either Canada or Mexico. Cuba doesn't stamp passports, they give you a seperate piece of paper just for this reason, so you won't have trouble getting back to U.S.A. Tons of Americans vacation in Cuba every year... Both times I have gone I have meet a couple Americans. Just fly down to Mexico(or Canada) and book a flight from there.... Getting duel citizenship seems like alot of work just to go when a $500 plane ride will do you just fine
    Hmm..., I can really fly down to Cuba? That is awesome!

Man, no last name? I'm going to have a heck of a time trying to find a bartender named Juan down there. Guess all my time will be spent buying Hurricane's instead of laying on the beach.

Hmm..., I can really fly down to Cuba? That is awesome!
    Legally...no.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring View Post
    Legally...no.
    Drew's right. Legally, no. But it happens all the time.

I hear that about 70% of the passengers flying to Cuba out of Windsor Ontario are Americans.

Well, legally- Damn.

Well, legally- Damn.
    Well, it is only against the law if you get caught!

It's near impossible to get caught.... Just don't bring back any cuban cigars or rum.... They don't stamp your passport. And cuba doesn't mind americans. It's only the Americans that mind....
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Quote Originally Posted by Roham View Post
    It's near impossible to get caught.... Just don't bring back any cuban cigars or rum.... They don't stamp your passport. And cuba doesn't mind americans. It's only the Americans that mind....
    So if i dont bring anything back, customs won't know. I guess i cannot use a credit card down there either, huh?

So if i dont bring anything back, customs won't know. I guess i cannot use a credit card down there either, huh?
    I believe if you get American money changed into CUC, then you are charged a 10% surcharge.

Wouldn't it be mostly cash only down there anyways?

Oh ya, that's another thing, they accept Visa and MC as long as it's not from an American bank. I don't know how many times I was asked that, "Is the credit card from an american bank?", I'd tell them no it's from a Canadian bank, then no problem. So ya, as a U.S. citizen you'd be spending cash for sure.... I think Drew is right, it'd be cheaper to bring Canadian currency down there if you can. Less of a surcharge.

Well, if i got duel citizenship with say Belize, and the US didn't require me to 'cancel' my US citizenship, then I could fly back to Belize and then to the US with my Belize passport under the guise of being a Belizean. So assuming that the US is cool with 'sharing the love' I could go to Cuba as a Belize resident? I bet US rules would still somehow apply, bummer.

Well, if i got duel citizenship with say Belize, and the US didn't require me to 'cancel' my US citizenship, then I could fly back to Belize and then to the US with my Belize passport under the guise of being a Belizean. So assuming that the US is cool with 'sharing the love' I could go to Cuba as a Belize resident? I bet US rules would still somehow apply, bummer.
    As I understand it, you can go to Cuba, but the FBI still flags your file for going.

How will the FBI flag you if they don't know you went?

It doesn't matter what passport you use, Cuba doesn't stamp it. Even as a Canadian, if Cuba stamped my passport, then I would have mucho problems getting into America next time.

Thread Information