Thread: cigar tubes

Default cigar tubes

please forgive my ignorance. are cigar tubes just for storing the cigars that you will use later in the day when you don't have access to your humidor or can they keep them fresh for longer periods of time? also, do they make tubes make of wood or are they all metal? thanks

Blog Entries

Some tubes are glass, some are plastic (tubes that cigars are sold in). Some manufacturers also sell cigars in "coffins" which are mini SLBs (slide lid boxes). Camacho does this with their Liberty line, Fuente sells the Opus X "A" size in coffins and some of the Perdomo Edicion de Silvos come in these as well.

Are you talking about the tubes that the cigars are SOLD in or storage tubes like the Cigar Savor?
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 04-30-2005 at 05:42 PM.

um, storage tubes.

4. Default

It has been my experience that some of the metal tubes may come with a slip of cedar in them to keep the cigars fresher longer, but it is by no means a long term storage device. I like to keep a few around for travel purposes. I wouldn't keep the cigars in them for more than a couple of days though. Glass is ok for storage, but only for a day at the most. Finally, I don't like plastic since, IMHO, it can sometimes impart a nasty flavor to a cigar. Most of the machine made flavored cigars come in plastic tubes.

If you're looking for something to tote a few cigars around in you can look for a two or three finger holder. These usually come with or made out of cedar and are nearly crush proof.

I hope that this helps.

that's what i thought. i was thinking about having my friend make me a wooden tube. he's really good with lathes. just thought it would add a nice personal touch. would cedar be the best wood to use? or would another wood be more prefferable.

6. Default

If he's going to use wood it should be Spanish Cedar. Red Cedar or the Cedar used to make furniture will impart a foul taste to your cigars. Spanish Cedar has a slight scent to it that seems to enhance the flavor of any good cigar.

Please post some pics of the tubes when you get them I would be very interested to see how they turn out.

ok, i'll see if i can find some spanish cedar for him. i still haven't asked him to make one, but i think he will since he's into cigar smoking too.

Blog Entries

I highly doubt you'll be able to find Spainsh Cedar stock thick enough to put on a wood lathe and if you did, it's much too soft and delicate to try and turn on a lathe and yield an acceptable result.

Use a hardwood like Mahogany, Maple, Oak, Cherry or Walnut.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wrath186
    It has been my experience that some of the metal tubes may come with a slip of cedar in them to keep the cigars fresher longer, but it is by no means a long term storage device. I like to keep a few around for travel purposes. I wouldn't keep the cigars in them for more than a couple of days though. Glass is ok for storage, but only for a day at the most. Finally, I don't like plastic since, IMHO, it can sometimes impart a nasty flavor to a cigar. Most of the machine made flavored cigars come in plastic tubes.

If you're looking for something to tote a few cigars around in you can look for a two or three finger holder. These usually come with or made out of cedar and are nearly crush proof.

I hope that this helps.
    I've NEVER heard of or experienced that before. Are you sure this is just not another urban legend? (kind of like the "you should rotate your cigars in your humidor" one )

There's a product on the market called a "Cigar Saver" or a "Cigar Savor" or something like that which was a plastic tube with a screw top cap and a spring loaded metal part inside. This device allowed you to store a cigar that you could not finish in one sitting. You could actually place the lit cigar in the tube and close it and it would extinghish itself in a very short period of time. I had very little call for one of these, and I seem to have lost the one that was given to me as a gift years ago.

These were made out of plastic and never imparted any nasty flavor to the cigar.

ive wanted one of those cigar savor tubes for a while... but theyve always seemed a bit on the expensive side...
    -=JStrider=-
    ~a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke. -- Rudyard Kipling

~Clatto Verata Nicto

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86
    I've NEVER heard of or experienced that before. Are you sure this is just not another urban legend? (kind of like the "you should rotate your cigars in your humidor" one )

There's a product on the market called a "Cigar Saver" or a "Cigar Savor" or something like that which was a plastic tube with a screw top cap and a spring loaded metal part inside. This device allowed you to store a cigar that you could not finish in one sitting. You could actually place the lit cigar in the tube and close it and it would extinghish itself in a very short period of time. I had very little call for one of these, and I seem to have lost the one that was given to me as a gift years ago.

These were made out of plastic and never imparted any nasty flavor to the cigar.

I do have a Cigar Savor and haven't had a problem with the plastic smell, but the acridness of relighting an already extinguished cigar caused me to stop using it. I was referring to the convenience store cigars. The ones that sit out for years on end in their little plastic tubes. Many times these are flavored, but sometimes you can find them "plain" and it always seems to me that the plastic seems to foul the cigar. Not that it's much of a cigar anyways. Of course it might just be me.

As to the tubes. How a bout a hardwood outer tube with an inner slip of cedar? Kind of like a mini humidor, but with personalized flavor. I'll admit I know absolutely nothing about wood working, so I don't even know it that can be done.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JStrider
    ive wanted one of those cigar savor tubes for a while... but theyve always seemed a bit on the expensive side...
    I got lucky, the husband of a woman I used to work with worked for the company and I got one for free. I think they only cost around $15.00 but it's been a while so I really don't know....

Blog Entries

I do have a Cigar Savor and haven't had a problem with the plastic smell, but the acridness of relighting an already extinguished cigar caused me to stop using it.
    I hear ya!! In my case, I usually relight my cigar within an hour or two of it going out so they usually taste fine BUT it you let them sit around for a day or a few days, you are correct, the cigar is usually kind of nasty

I was referring to the convenience store cigars. The ones that sit out for years on end in their little plastic tubes.
    Oh okay, I haven't smoked a cigar like that in so long I really can't remember but you're probably right

yea if possible use a hardwood as the main tube and then get a cedar slip to go on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by wrath186
    As to the tubes. How a bout a hardwood outer tube with an inner slip of cedar? Kind of like a mini humidor, but with personalized flavor. I'll admit I know absolutely nothing about wood working, so I don't even know it that can be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by miller3624
    yea if possible use a hardwood as the main tube and then get a cedar slip to go on the inside.
    that would be nice, course the price to make it probably just tripled. i wasn't able to get a hold of yesterday, he was working late. i'll keep on checking in on him to see if he can make it.

well i just talked to my friend last night about the tubes and he was really intriqued. so hopefully soon he can try it and i'll get some picks up and a review of how well it does.

SFG75 Guest

After you have smoked cigars that have come in tubes, it's very practical to put them to use for cigars that you'd like to isolate if you have one or two that you fear might be mold.

Thread Information