Thread: Shotgun Advice

Default Shotgun Advice

My 15 year old son has been shooting birds and clay pidgeons with me this year and really loves it.

I am thinking of buying him an automatic for X-mas. We will be doing mostly skeet/trap and upland bird hunting. Maybe some ducks down the road.

Winchester new auto's that look good to me are the X-2 and X-3.

They are going for about $750 to $800 for a 28" barrel, chambered for 12 Ga 3 1/2" shells. I figure to add a choke system to the gun, and it should be fairly versatile.

OK value? Any other brand/model suggestions?
    In spite of all evidence to the contrary, the entire universe is composed of only two basic substances: Magic and bullshit.

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

LOL, how times change. I remember I was 14 when I got my first 12 Ga and it was an ancient single shot. I was so proud. I got my hands on a side-by-side and couldn't hit shit 'cause I was always looking across the barrels. Then I got an over & under and it was awesome.

Blade, break down and get the kid a Beretta!!!
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

Default Shotgun

I would recommend the Beretta AL 391 Extrema 2 with the kickoff system that is what I shoot it is a great low recoiling shotgun that will shoot the 23/4 3" and 31/2" shells they are the best on the market for the money

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    My 15 year old son has been shooting birds and clay pidgeons with me this year and really loves it.

I am thinking of buying him an automatic for X-mas. We will be doing mostly skeet/trap and upland bird hunting. Maybe some ducks down the road.

Winchester new auto's that look good to me are the X-2 and X-3.

They are going for about $750 to $800 for a 28" barrel, chambered for 12 Ga 3 1/2" shells. I figure to add a choke system to the gun, and it should be fairly versatile.

OK value? Any other brand/model suggestions?
    GO AHEAD PUNK MAKE MY DAY

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
    Blade, break down and get the kid a Beretta!!!
    ROFL!!!! He is turning his nose up at the Belgium Browning I started him out on, and would gladly tie a ribbon on for him. All my shot guns are break guns (nice ones) and he still wants an auto.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNakedGun View Post
    I would recommend the Beretta AL 391 Extrema 2
    Great suggestion, I am checking them out
    In spite of all evidence to the contrary, the entire universe is composed of only two basic substances: Magic and bullshit.

Benelli Supersport. While your in the giving mood, Ill take one too.
    2 Funky Chickens!
    2.5 Pomegranates

Brenham, TX.....home of BlueBell Ice Cream!

Browning Cynergy Sporting, Composite....Beautiful Over Under for a nice price $2900!

wow that is a sweet looking gun
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

Quote Originally Posted by Empire23 View Post

Benelli Supersport. While your in the giving mood, Ill take one too.

A++++++++++++++

This is the one! Oh and I will take one too
    Family, Friends and a good cigar. Oh and some fishing too!

It looks like I need to buy a box of shot guns. One for the tyke, and gift the rest to you fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    It looks like I need to buy a box of shot guns. One for the tyke, and gift the rest to you fellas.
    you can buy them in bundles over on gbid. they're seconds, but most BOTG would say there is no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNakedGun View Post
    I would recommend the Beretta AL 391 Extrema 2 with the kickoff system that is what I shoot it is a great low recoiling shotgun that will shoot the 23/4 3" and 31/2" shells they are the best on the market for the money
    +1 I love mine!

A Benelli for a 15 year old boy? Nice dad...Yeah that is a great brand, along with Remington and Beretta. I think you would do better with the Remington or Beretta for the price/performance. I would never buy a Winchester since they sold out to Savage Arms. Has he ever shot before? I have Browning, Remingtons, and a Charles Daly. I love my Browning 12G automatic. But if I were in the shopping mode I'd consider Remington and Beretta, with Remington being the pre-shopping favorite.

Benelli all the way, same price as the Beretta, at least around these parts.

I hope you put your order in for 2 Supersports so I can have mine here by Christmas. Thanks again
    2 Funky Chickens!
    2.5 Pomegranates

I checked out all your good suggestions and came down to the Berretta and a Browning Gold.

A Gold fusion won and I bought one for Zeb today:

Damn. Very nice.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Nice gun, but you only bought one? Ah its ok, I would have probably shot my eye out. Nice choice! Just dont let him pull a Cheney on you!
    2 Funky Chickens!
    2.5 Pomegranates

18. Default

Nice gun...Your son should be proud.

Default Here is a picture of my Trap Gun

its a beretta AL 391 Parallel Target with custom painted stock I call it Salute to American Veterans
    GO AHEAD PUNK MAKE MY DAY

Thread Information