Thread: Son of a ...

Default Son of a ...

i was getting up to go to the bathroom and kicked the side of my plano box (humidor) and inside is a shot glass full of distilled water. so it spills over and right on top of my hygrometer. Now i gotta buy another $22 one from Viper. Ded Gummit! That's very aggrivating. At least none of my sticks got wet.

On a lighter note, me and my girlfriend, Sarah, got my Christmas tree up tonite. It was fun, went out, picked out a tree, lights, and ornaments. Good times. She's great.

Save your $22 and buy some beads and dont worry about the water or Hygro again. nuff said.
    2 Funky Chickens!
    2.5 Pomegranates

ya, i got the beads. it's just the extra boost of confidence of having a working, accurate hygrometer that i need.

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    ya, i got the beads. it's just the extra boost of confidence of having a working, accurate hygrometer that i need.
    Why do you have the shot glass of distilled water if you have the beads? Seems like it would just make the beads absorb moisture until they can't hold any more, then the humidity will continue to rise.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    Why do you have the shot glass of distilled water if you have the beads? Seems like it would just make the beads absorb moisture until they can't hold any more, then the humidity will continue to rise.
    no, it seems to work just fine. been like that for over a month and it stays constant.

Sounds like the Spanish Cedar in your humidor dried out. You might want to rewet the sides and top with distilled water.

Quote Originally Posted by cls515 View Post
    Sounds like the Spanish Cedar in your humidor dried out. You might want to rewet the sides and top with distilled water.
    there is no spanish cedar in there. it's the plano field box that i'm using. all plastic.

You are defeating the purpose of the beads by having a constant water source in a humidor.

Inside a humidor is a "closed" environment. No water in and no water out (or very little and very slowly). The water inside the humidor eventually balances between the cigars, the wood, and the air.

By placing an unlimited amount of water in the humidor, the cigars and wood will act like a sponge and absorb water until they are saturated (or just plain too wet to smoke). This is where beads come in. Beads help "balance" the water in the humidor by absorbing or releasing water at a specified Rh. Many, some, most people find that putting 65% beads in a humidor will create an atmosphere that keeps the cigars at a moisture content where they will burn nicely and taste good.

From what I read, new people would do better to throw the damn hygrometers away, invest in a healthy amount of beads, and a humidor/cooledor that makes a tight seal. Nature will do the work-its really that simple.

Another point is to FILL the humidor with cigars. They are your best moisture reservoir. You cannot throw 25 cigars won on C-bid at all different moisture levels into a 150 ct humi, then open and close the thing 40 times a day and expect a "constant" Rh.

Have fun, you'll figure it out .
    In spite of all evidence to the contrary, the entire universe is composed of only two basic substances: Magic and bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    You are defeating the purpose of the beads by having a constant water source in a humidor.

Inside a humidor is a "closed" environment. No water in and no water out (or very little and very slowly). The water inside the humidor eventually balances between the cigars, the wood, and the air.

By placing an unlimited amount of water in the humidor, the cigars and wood will act like a sponge and absorb water until they are saturated (or just plain too wet to smoke). This is where beads come in. Beads help "balance" the water in the humidor by absorbing or releasing water at a specified Rh. Many, some, most people find that putting 65% beads in a humidor will create an atmosphere that keeps the cigars at a moisture content where they will burn nicely and taste good.

From what I read, new people would do better to throw the damn hygrometers away, invest in a healthy amount of beads, and a humidor/cooledor that makes a tight seal. Nature will do the work-its really that simple.

Another point is to FILL the humidor with cigars. They are your best moisture reservoir. You cannot throw 25 cigars won on C-bid at all different moisture levels into a 150 ct humi, then open and close the thing 40 times a day and expect a "constant" Rh.

Have fun, you'll figure it out .
    This is exactly right. The cigars are drawing in the excess moisture while the beads keep the surrounding air at a constant humidity. As long as the cigars keep absorbing the excess humidity, the beads will keep the ambient humidity at 65% as they were designed to do.

Get rid of the shot glass.
    Last edited by Shelby07; 11-30-2006 at 04:18 AM.

done

Blog Entries

wow I did not think he was going to listen there for a moment..that shot glass was like his blankie

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Blog Entries

I've found that over time, the beads do tend to loose humidity. I just keep a capped water bottle in the corner of the coolidor (it's square/rectangular, fits perfectly). When I notice the humidity start to go down a bit more then I would like it (I'm talking weeks here), I'll take the cap off the water bottle for a couple of days until the humidity gets back up.

It works good for me.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Yeah I have a mini humi and a tupper that I don't even bother to check with a hygrometer any more. THose beads are da chit.

Quote Originally Posted by hex1848 View Post
    I've found that over time, the beads do tend to loose humidity. I just keep a capped water bottle in the corner of the coolidor (it's square/rectangular, fits perfectly). When I notice the humidity start to go down a bit more then I would like it (I'm talking weeks here), I'll take the cap off the water bottle for a couple of days until the humidity gets back up.

It works good for me.
    That sounds like a great way to recharge the beads. How big is your humi?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    That sounds like a great way to recharge the beads. How big is your humi?
    I use 150 quart igloos.

They work great, more then enough room to work with.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Thread Information