Thread: Scotch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I am a scotch guy and I gotta tell ya it is about $15 or so more than you want to spend but johnnie walker gold lable is fantastic its an 18 year old scotch and smooth as hell. you can go green lable for a little cheeper and its good as well. most 12 year old scotch wiskeys,(ie johnnie black, chivas regal,etc) in my opinion are better suited to use in a mix drink do to them being quite a bit more harsh.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
    PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

Dalmore 12yr is tasty, around 25 bucks. I don't usually drink blends.

Scotch has a smoky bite in comparison to Bourbon, period. If you must have it though, and price is no concern, then Glenlivet or JW gold is your drink. IMHO cheap scotch isn't worth drinking straight. Bourbon, brandy, or dark rum is better, you can get a decent sipping spirit for a more reasonable price. For instance, Gentleman Jack is an excellent sipping whiskey for $25 bucks a bottle.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

4. Default

My favorite scotches:

Macallen 12 ($40).
    Glenmorangie Line 12yr ($40)
    Glenlivet 12yr (varies)

From the others advice, Dalwhinnie is good...can't go wrong with that. Personally I think there are much better scotches to be had than Glenfiddich (12 year at least, haven't tried the more aged ones). I would vote against getting that.
    Last edited by godfather; 12-06-2006 at 03:30 PM.

Cool. Thanks for all of the help guys
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

As far as Glenlivet goes I went out and bought a bottle of that and it was just plain nasty. Got to mix that stuff imho. I'm not much of a scotch drinker though. I have had Johnny gold though and that stuff is damn good, smooth as hell, you don't really even need water with it.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

Laphroaig is a nice peaty, smoky scotch and, in fact due to a college "mishap" with scotch, one of the only ones I can drink. Glenfiddich isn't that great. Definately go single malt though rather than a blend.

-W.
    The Internet - All the Piracy, None of the Scurvy

420seth Guest

ya, shit. Scotch (good shit) is great with a smoke. one of my favorite combo's. I just finished off a bottle of this 16 year old isle of Jura scotch. very tasty. expensive, but very tasty. real nice with a bolivar belicosa finos or a partagas 8-9-8.

I just bought a bottle of Auchentoshan 10 year. Not bad for the price.

Geeze all this talk of scotch has made me break out an Ardbeg (my current favourite), chuck a 60's Avengers DVD on and light up another gar (5th of the day) .

When drinking scotch, I highly recommend going the single malt route and drinking it neat, or with a few drops of water (not tap water). I don't recommend pouring scotch over ice, unless you must drink a blend.

Aaahhh... Ardbeg, nice cigar and Emma Peel . Bliss.

Rich

My 2nd favourite tipple at present is Abalour .
    "Science is a candle in the dark" - some science guy

MMmmm... scotch. Another love.

420seth Guest

Yeah, my scotch knowledge is a little behind my cigar stuff but I am working on improving it.

Quote Originally Posted by rsanz View Post

When drinking scotch, I highly recommend going the single malt route and drinking it neat, or with a few drops of water (not tap water). I don't recommend pouring scotch over ice, unless you must drink a blend.

Most manufactures recommend adding a splash of water to the Scotch, single malts included. I would recommend any newbie to the scotch world have it over ice and slowly reduce the amount of ice as your taste matures until you enjoy it with just a splash. Instead of a few drops of water I usually put in 1 small ice cube or on occasion have it neat.
    A girl phoned me the other day and said ... Come on over, there's nobody home. I went over. Nobody was home.
    -- Rodney Dangerfield

Thread Information