Thread: Scotch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dalwhinnie 15 yr old

Baron
    Remember to breathe

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy
    I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy
    I love poetry, and a glass of scotch, and, of course, my friend Baxter here.
    I also am interested in trying a good scotch, but $50 is a little high for me. Anyone recommend a cheaper bottle?

I like Tomatin 12yr. It's in the $22-$25 range. A pretty good value, IMHO. YMMV.

I am a scotch guy and I gotta tell ya it is about $15 or so more than you want to spend but johnnie walker gold lable is fantastic its an 18 year old scotch and smooth as hell. you can go green lable for a little cheeper and its good as well. most 12 year old scotch wiskeys,(ie johnnie black, chivas regal,etc) in my opinion are better suited to use in a mix drink do to them being quite a bit more harsh.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
    PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

Dalmore 12yr is tasty, around 25 bucks. I don't usually drink blends.

Scotch has a smoky bite in comparison to Bourbon, period. If you must have it though, and price is no concern, then Glenlivet or JW gold is your drink. IMHO cheap scotch isn't worth drinking straight. Bourbon, brandy, or dark rum is better, you can get a decent sipping spirit for a more reasonable price. For instance, Gentleman Jack is an excellent sipping whiskey for $25 bucks a bottle.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

7. Default

My favorite scotches:

Macallen 12 ($40).
    Glenmorangie Line 12yr ($40)
    Glenlivet 12yr (varies)

From the others advice, Dalwhinnie is good...can't go wrong with that. Personally I think there are much better scotches to be had than Glenfiddich (12 year at least, haven't tried the more aged ones). I would vote against getting that.
    Last edited by godfather; 12-06-2006 at 03:30 PM.

420seth Guest

ya, shit. Scotch (good shit) is great with a smoke. one of my favorite combo's. I just finished off a bottle of this 16 year old isle of Jura scotch. very tasty. expensive, but very tasty. real nice with a bolivar belicosa finos or a partagas 8-9-8.

Thread Information