Thread: Scotch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

There is nothing wrong with a good blend and to say otherwise is falling into the SMS snob trap. The problem is that they don't sell too many in the US.
    Read my Scotch & Bourbon reviews here!

Quote Originally Posted by AVB View Post
    There is nothing wrong with a good blend and to say otherwise is falling into the SMS snob trap. The problem is that they don't sell too many in the US.
    Sounds like you're a B&W kinda guy. I strongly suggest there are other alternatives to falling into the SMS trap - what ever the hell that is...

Taste is always subjective. And I stand by my statement that I recall nothing memorable about blends. Although, I haven't seen any reason to sample them for some time. I suspect the biggest scotch trap around is buying Chevas under the impression it is the top of the line.

If you have suggestions for a good blend, how about sharing. I would love to find an enjoyable scotch at a bourbon price point

Rusty

At about $42.Bottle. I LOVE Oban 14 year old. Prob my favorite to date. On another note and just my opinion McClellands is the worst I have tried to date. Now Macallan on the other hand is another great one. See what ya did. Now I gotta go get me some. Enjoy!
    Family, Friends and a good cigar. Oh and some fishing too!

Quote Originally Posted by ralford View Post
    If you have suggestions for a good blend, how about sharing. I would love to find an enjoyable scotch at a bourbon price point

Rusty

Some blends cost as much or more the Single malts. JW Blue, Gold, Chivas 21 year old just to name a few that are pricey.

Not sure how cheap it is in the US but Aberlour 10yo is a very drinkable single malt, and quite good value down this way.

http://www.aberlour.com/
    "Science is a candle in the dark" - some science guy

MMmmm... scotch. Another love.

Just thought of something as I re-read this thread. The taxes in Canada on liquor are insane... A case(12) of Bud for about $15.... etc etc (how much is it in the states?)

So a $50 bottle of scotch in Canada is probably equivalent to a $30 US bottle. Something like that;-)
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Quote Originally Posted by Roham View Post
    Just thought of something as I re-read this thread. The taxes in Canada on liquor are insane... A case(12) of Bud for about $15.... etc etc (how much is it in the states?)

So a $50 bottle of scotch in Canada is probably equivalent to a $30 US bottle. Something like that;-)
    Not sure how much they are here but if you compare the $42 bottle of Oban it should give ya an idea of the differance. Let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Roham View Post

I actually found when I was in MT after Christmas, the Scotch prices were about the same as in Canada.

Although you could get a liter of vodka for 6 bucks, or a 24 pack of Coors for 12.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Thread Information