Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK, So I'm building myself a humidor

The foothills of the Sierra mountains about 50 miles west of Lake Tahoe.

Default OK, So I'm building myself a humidor

I just bought a couple boards of beautiful tiger striped and quilted maple boards (Ebay is so cool) and a big plank of Spanish cedar. I should be able to get a nice 150+ humidor out of one of those maple planks.

This is the board I'll use to make the box:

I've already won some cigars on CBid and I now I have my eye on some new purchases that will overflow my 40 count humidor. Since I have a full woodworking shop I might as well build myself a nice humidor.

So let's see, I just started smoking cigars again but now I've smoked more cigars in the past 10 days than I have in my entire life up to those 10 days. I'm smoking cigars, I'm buying cigars, I'm bidding on CBid, and I'm building my own humidor. Is it time for an intervention?
    Last edited by Dru Lee Parsec; 11-03-2006 at 09:56 PM.

Now that I like.

Be sure to post the after pics.
    In spite of all evidence to the contrary, the entire universe is composed of only two basic substances: Magic and bullshit.

Cool, good luck with that. Looks nice. I bought a cooler today and just got my coolidor up and running. It has been on 64% humidity for the past couple of hours with some boxes of cigars inside.

Quote Originally Posted by cls515 View Post
    Cool, good luck with that. Looks nice. I bought a cooler today and just got my coolidor up and running. It has been on 64% humidity for the past couple of hours with some boxes of cigars inside.
    Hmm, so do I hear you saying "Dude. Build a freaking guitar or something with that wood. If you have too many cigars then get a cooler"

Quote Originally Posted by Dru Lee Parsec View Post
    Hmm, so do I hear you saying "Dude. Build a freaking guitar or something with that wood. If you have too many cigars then get a cooler"
    Whay not do both. I'd love to see pics of the building process and finished product. You might even be able to get some business off here.

Sorry didn't mean to come off like that. I'm just glad I got mine up and running. Yeah, why not both?

Blog Entries

Both for sure....you can never have too much space for cigars. Looks like you could make a pretty unique humi with your talents.....can't wait to see the during and after construction pic's!!

Build the humi first.

Sorry didn't mean to come off like that. I'm just glad I got mine up and running. Yeah, why not both?
    No worries buddy. I was just joking with ya. The other piece of maple I bought is absolutely going to become a mandolin.

And yes, I will build the humi first.

so ebay is pretty reliable when it comes to buying cedar? i was looking for some scraps for my coolidor.

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    so ebay is pretty reliable when it comes to buying cedar? i was looking for some scraps for my coolidor.
    I store mostly boxes in my coolidoor. This provides ample cedar to aide in stabilization of humidity.

Chris, don't worry about buying any cedar. I talked with a guy who says he has plenty and would like to get rid of it. I'll let you know more when I know more details.

Chris, don't worry about buying any cedar. I talked with a guy who says he has plenty and would like to get rid of it. I'll let you know more when I know more details.
    thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    I think that if you buy from someone with a high feedback rating then the odds of you actually getting spanish cedar when you order it are high. I bought a BIG plank for about $26. Realize that Spanish Cedar is actually Cedrela odorata which is not actually a cedar but is really a mahogany. True Cedar is from the genus Cedrus rather than Cedrela.

I know, it's a total geek thing but as a woodworker you just learn this stuff by osmosis.

However, instead of lining your cooler you may want to try something like these cedar trays That would save you the time and labor of having to make them yourself.

Love your work shop. I have a nice little workshop in my basement but I dont spend alot of time in there anymore. But I have to tell you your work shop would be one hell of a jam room/home studio
    A girl phoned me the other day and said ... Come on over, there's nobody home. I went over. Nobody was home.
    -- Rodney Dangerfield

Quote Originally Posted by Quint View Post
    Love your work shop. I have a nice little workshop in my basement but I dont spend alot of time in there anymore. But I have to tell you your work shop would be one hell of a jam room/home studio
    Thanks Quint. But you should see my jam room Although the last several times we've had jams at our house it was warm enough to just hang out outside by the pool. Not any more though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dru Lee Parsec View Post
    Thanks Quint. But you should see my jam room Although the last several times we've had jams at our house it was warm enough to just hang out outside by the pool. Not any more though.

Sure go ahead make me jealous. My jam room is in shambels right now.....
    A girl phoned me the other day and said ... Come on over, there's nobody home. I went over. Nobody was home.
    -- Rodney Dangerfield

Midlothian, Virginia in the Subs. Longwood University....in FARMVILLE Virginia....

i wish i had my jam room. No room in my dorm to jam, plus i get so much noise complaints from everyone one in my hall and people in halls below and above me.
    "After a truly good meal, an outstanding cigar is still the most satisfying after-dinner activity that doesn't involve two human beings."
    Brad Shaw

"Pull out a Montecristo at a dinner party and the political liberal turns into the nicotine facist."
    -- Martyn Harris

1 termite
    +1 raisin

Well, I don't have a photo of the big room where we jam. But here's my music room/office. Remember, since I teach music everything you see is a write off.

On the wall at the moment is an Ibanez MC300 Musician electric guitar with a Roland guitar synth pickup, A Breedlove dreadnaught, a Breedlove mandolin, a Deering Goodtimes banjo, and a dulcimer that I built.

On the bookshelves I have all my guitar, mandolin, banjo, and dulcimer music cataloged along with all my Acoustic guitar, Flatpicking guitar, and Fingerstyle Guitar magazines. Just barely visible are some of my sci-fi books, a full shelf of Poker books, TWO shelves of chess books, and my reading chair.

I pretty much live in this room.
    Last edited by Dru Lee Parsec; 11-19-2006 at 08:34 PM.

That's freakin' awesome! Make sure you post pictures of some updates.

Thread Information