Thread: Humidor Problems

Hi, I am hoping somebody can help me. I am a newbie when it comes down to it, and I recently purchased my first "real" humidor about a week ago. I am still in the "seasoning" process of breaking in my new humidor, however, I think I might be encountering a problem.

The Problem is.... That after I leave the humidor closed for 12+ hours, I start losing humidity. I'll go from a perfect 74% down to a 54% in just hours. The humidor is stored in a comforable and dry room temperature place, and the humidifier is new, and in seemingly perfect condition. It is filled fresh with distilled water, and I think I followed all steps correctly. Like I said, I am new at this, and am anxious to get right in.

Here are the preperation steps I followed, so if I did something wrong, please inform me.

1. I moistened the entire interior wood with a damp sponge (all distilled water), and placed the sponge on a plastic bag inside my humidor for 24 hours. (Of course, after filling my humidifier).

2.After this, I re-moistened the wood (lightly this time), and left closed for another 24 hours.

3. After this I checked, and my humidity percentage was at 74%, so I left closed and unused for another 24 hours to ensure the percentage would stay consistent before I brought in my cigars. This is when my humidity started lowering.

4. At this point, I placed the sponge back in the humidor on a plastic bag again for another 4-6 hours, and the humidity went right back to normal (Side note...I properly calibrated my hygrometer prior to all of this, and then re-checked it during the process)

Currently, I removed the sponge again for the third time about 2 hours ago, and my humidity is already back down to 64%

WHAT SHOULD I DO??

I am almost certain it is the humidifier, but I need an expert opinion.

Would it be safe to leave the moist sponge in a seperate divider of my humidor to keep the levels... or is there another, better, trick?

Please help! All tips will be greatly appreciated

Thanks so much!

Nick

Blog Entries

I would double check to make sure any drawers/openings have a good seal. Humidity can escape a humidor rather quickly from any smallopeningsespecially when the room it is in is very dry.

You may want to look into a getting Drymistat Crystal Tube or 2. I use these in my desktop humidor and try work great.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Thank you Hex...

My humidor is a nick new desktop style that will hold roughly 50 or so cigars... and the Crystal Tubes look like they should be right up my alley, and for a good price too! I will go to my local cigar shop and purchase one today!

Thanks, I let you know how it turns out.

Also, I checked the humidor for openings or non well fitted seals, and it looks pretty good...so it may just be the humidifier....

I will try those crystal tubes... I haven't heard of them yet or I would of tried them a while ago.... thanks so much for the adivce....As I said, I am a newbie...thanks again! Appreciate it greatly!

Nick

Blog Entries

Not a problem, always glad to help. Welcome to the forum!
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Thanks again! Glad to be Here! :)

As a side suggestion, I would NEVER wet the wood itself. It can lead to cracking and mold in the future. Instead think of investing $5-10 in some Propylene Glycol

It will allow you to moisen(SP?) your box and not worp your cedar.
    Life is to short to b!tch...Get over it and move on.

7. Default same problem?

Hey, I am having the exact same problem. I just bought one of those tubes. It did not help what so ever. I have a tupperware dish of distilled water, and as soon as I take it out it goes from a perfect 70% down to 50%. I just can not figure it out. I have recalibrated my hydrometer two times . In addition to that I have checked the seal and that is also o.k. Would buying another humidifer maybe work work? I only have a small 25 cigar desk top one with a small hockeypuck size humidor. Any suggestions?

assuming theres nothing wrong with the humidor itself, i would say that it just needs more time to season before it begins to stabilize. Just make sure your humidification device always has water...Like the others said, it might be wise to invest in another one, especially if you think the one you have is a cheapie.
    With glasses high, we raised a cry - freedom had arrived

Thread Information