Hi, I am hoping somebody can help me. I am a newbie when it comes down to it, and I recently purchased my first "real" humidor about a week ago. I am still in the "seasoning" process of breaking in my new humidor, however, I think I might be encountering a problem.

The Problem is.... That after I leave the humidor closed for 12+ hours, I start losing humidity. I'll go from a perfect 74% down to a 54% in just hours. The humidor is stored in a comforable and dry room temperature place, and the humidifier is new, and in seemingly perfect condition. It is filled fresh with distilled water, and I think I followed all steps correctly. Like I said, I am new at this, and am anxious to get right in.

Here are the preperation steps I followed, so if I did something wrong, please inform me.

1. I moistened the entire interior wood with a damp sponge (all distilled water), and placed the sponge on a plastic bag inside my humidor for 24 hours. (Of course, after filling my humidifier).

2.After this, I re-moistened the wood (lightly this time), and left closed for another 24 hours.

3. After this I checked, and my humidity percentage was at 74%, so I left closed and unused for another 24 hours to ensure the percentage would stay consistent before I brought in my cigars. This is when my humidity started lowering.

4. At this point, I placed the sponge back in the humidor on a plastic bag again for another 4-6 hours, and the humidity went right back to normal (Side note...I properly calibrated my hygrometer prior to all of this, and then re-checked it during the process)

Currently, I removed the sponge again for the third time about 2 hours ago, and my humidity is already back down to 64%

WHAT SHOULD I DO??

I am almost certain it is the humidifier, but I need an expert opinion.

Would it be safe to leave the moist sponge in a seperate divider of my humidor to keep the levels... or is there another, better, trick?

Please help! All tips will be greatly appreciated

Thanks so much!

Nick