Thread: another humidor question

Default another humidor question

My humidity plumited in the last couple weeks. I just re soaked my humidifier. I have a digital hygrometer. my internal temp is about 74° and the humidity is 64%. Is it time for a new humidor. My humidifier is one of them things that looks like you stick flowers in it. I don't know if this is good or not. Thanx in advance guys. Oh if you think I should get a new humidor feel free to offer some advice on a 100 ct one preferably in a mahogany finish.

Default Check out these links

It could be a humidor problem, it could be your sponge is no longer holding moisture. Your temperature is a little high, 75 and higher and you have to start worrying about Tobacco Worms/Beetles. But humidity between 63-70 is actually not a bad thing, that's a good range. It's all personal what level you like in between those. There are some people who like 75% humidity. Check out this link for all humidor questions. Briefly though, if your humidor is solid (i.e. no glass), then do the flashlight test. In a perfectly dark room, place a flashlight that is on in your humidor, if you can see light, your humidor has a leak.

http://www.cigargroup.com/faq/#5.0

Thanx I will give that a shot tonight. I got batteries for my flash light at the store today. I have my doubts about it though. Maybe I just want a new one.

Default Check the humidifier's material.....

It's called "Oasis" at most florists and craft stores. There are two types. One is a dry type and made for artificial flowers. The other is the wet type for real flowers. You want the wet type. Oasis is a great material for humidifiers

My buddy got an inexpensive humidor a while back and the Oasis in the humidifier puck was either cheap crap or the dry type as it wouldn't soak up any water.

Go to any craft store and ask for wet type Oasis florist foam. You can recut a section easy. It cuts easier than butter with a steak knife or razor knife. When you soak it you can see the color darken and also see the water absorb into it.

You may want to consider making your own humidifier using Oasis and some type of holder for it. Just be sure it won't leak or contact you cigars directly.

Of course getting a new humidor is fun too!

5. Default

Also the O-Cello sponges my wife buys are made with a fugicide in them and are odorless and cut to fit esaily and are 1 in thick. . I change mine out every 6 months and I only use water in mine,PG imparts a nasty taste IMHO to your cigars .

K7
    The older I get ,the better I was

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7
    Also the O-Cello sponges my wife buys are made with a fugicide in them and are odorless and cut to fit esaily and are 1 in thick. . I change mine out every 6 months and I only use water in mine,PG imparts a nasty taste IMHO to your cigars .

K7
    great idea kevin....i think i'm going to try that...my wife buys those same sponges. do you have to recharge more often than the Oasis material?

Thread Information