Thread: "different" hiumidification device question

Default "different" hiumidification device question

Hello -
    Just received a box of La Gloria Cubana Serie R 2006 Limtada. They came in a very nice Cristiano Humidor. There are 2 humidification devices at the bottom of the humidor that I have not seen before. They are vented, rectangular parts similar to what you see with the green foam material. These are much thinner and have what appears to be a textured or speckled styrofoam material inside, again, much thinner than the green foam.
    What is this, and how do I treat it? Do I use water, a water/PG mixture, or what? Am i better off sticking with Drymistat tubes?

tia,
    Tom

*psst - Write a quick intro about yourself before asking for help.*

Never use regular water. Always use distilled water. Either use 50/50 solution to activiate it, or get beads for your humidor. Good luck!

Andrew

heartfeltindustries.com

get the beads. 65% or 70%

write an intro.

Yeah, quickly, I here them coming...

The foothills of the Sierra mountains about 50 miles west of Lake Tahoe.

Hey guys, are the things he's describing "water pillows"? I've heard of them being used while shipping cigars but I'm never seen them.

slumkid: If that's what they are then they won't be of any long term use. They were just there to maintain your cigars during shipping. So you'll still need a humidor and some sort of humidification device. The "beads" everyone talks about are so stable for the most part that you almost don't need a hygrometer.

Dru - a water pillow is submerged in water for a few seconds and then it swells up and looks like a tiny pillow. It's blue.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

You were very polite and wells spoken, so here's some advice, write an intro post and give us a few details about you and your smoking habits. Great buy by the way. That was Tommy's last humidor made for LGC before he passed last year. Using the built in humidifier is fine as FunkyCold5 stated. Don't use the tubes unless you need a little extra humidity. They work well on smaller humidors, but not one this size. Or.. Take chefchris's advise.

PS: Fill out your profile. Gives a better chance to get to know you. Post the smokes you like, wish list, ect.

Distilled water. If they are attached, grab an eye dropper at a drug store and use it to put the distilled water onto the humi device.

Hi All -

Thanks for all of the advice and the quick replies. I apologize for not introducing myself.

My name's Tom, and I live in South Florida. I've been enjoying cigars for about a dozen years, and my taste runs in the medium to full-bodied smokes. My current favorites are almost anything from the Padron, Torano, CAO and La Gloria lines. Right now I have some CAO Italias, Padron 4000s, and aforementioned La Glorias. All very tasty.

FYI, these are definitely not the "pillows". They are very thin and white rectangles, look to be a little more than credit card thickness, but textured.

I guess I'll try the PG/water mixture first, and then go with the distilled water.

Thanks again for the advice. I look forward to reading - and hopefully contributing to - the forums.

Better Things,
    Tom

in the end you will get the beads, and we will say "we told you so".

trust me.

and welcome.

Welcome from FL

Welcome from Chicaago.

I will indeed get the beads - already looking into them. Guess i can replace the multiple tubes I have in my other humidors.

Thanks

Blog Entries

Welcome from Kansas.

hey! welcome from CT!! stick around, great people/knowledge!

also, use the search function, there is tons of information on here, it is a very handy thing
    - Jon -
    New to the cigar world. Trying to find some good smokes

Another of my passions is jeeps/wheelin

Quote Originally Posted by slumkid View Post
    Hi All -

Thanks for all of the advice and the quick replies. I apologize for not introducing myself.

My name's Tom, and I live in South Florida. I've been enjoying cigars for about a dozen years, and my taste runs in the medium to full-bodied smokes. My current favorites are almost anything from the Padron, Torano, CAO and La Gloria lines. Right now I have some CAO Italias, Padron 4000s, and aforementioned La Glorias. All very tasty.

FYI, these are definitely not the "pillows". They are very thin and white rectangles, look to be a little more than credit card thickness, but textured.

I guess I'll try the PG/water mixture first, and then go with the distilled water.

Thanks again for the advice. I look forward to reading - and hopefully contributing to - the forums.

Better Things,
    Tom
    I like this guy already. The humidification devices you are talking about could be these,
    or something similar. They are thin sheets that act the same as the beads.

Welcome from trhe UK! I was thinking of the humidity sheets myself.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Now that you guy's got my curiosity roused.. I got up and went to look at the Serie R Humidor in question, I was too busy too earlier. It's like Lava Rock, Do not Use 50/50 quick start. Plain distilled water will do. Being very porous they hold water pretty well, but they are thinner than I thought they would be. The design doesn't make it easy to put other humidification devices in it, so I would probably go with beads if you're not happy the the current system. But don't reuse the humidistat tubes, there are other tubes that will allow more moisture to flow in and out of the tube.

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    in the end you will get the beads, and we will say "we told you so".

trust me.

and welcome.

HAHAH....

Welcome...I think FL is finally moving on up with members!

Quote Originally Posted by guado View Post
    HAHAH....

Welcome...I think FL is finally moving on up with members!
    That's what I was thinking. I may have to fly down to FL for a herf. Sounds like a good group of folks down there.

Thread Information