Thread: Spousal Approval

Default Spousal Approval

Just curious as to how many of your spouses approve or encourage your cigar endeavours. Thought it would be a cool place to post some stories, positive or negative.

Back when I first got into cigars, and I use the term 'cigars' loosely, I was dating this girl and we would fight about it all the time. Her parents both smoked cigarretes, and she hated all forms of smoking. Therefore, I couldn't talk to her about it or anything, and would almost have to hide it from her.

We broke up and now I have an awesome girlfriend, Sarah. She never once has said anything negative. She cracked me up a couple of weeks ago, I was bidding on something on cbid and I told her about it. I had previously went cigar crazy and had a whole lot coming in already. She spouted out "you better not bid again if you start loosing!". But you just had to hear how she said it, about halfway through the sentence she realized she sounded like a nagging wife and started trailing off. it was super cute.

but she really tries to show interest in what I like and that makes me happy.

your turn...

my wife bought me my first desk top humidor a few years back. She is fine with it so long as:

1: I don't smoke in the house - we have a 4 yr. old and 2 - 8 month olds - all boys - so this is not a problem for me at all. Plus, I don't want my house to smell like my car. Which brings me to...

2: I can't smoke in HER car.

Other than that she is totally cool. Doesn't give me crap about buying cigars.
    I did get a look once when I went ape shit on c-bid at the same time a couple of boxes I ordered for some splits arrived. I explained they were all for me and the look went away.

My wifes father smoked cigarettes when she was very young...then quit those and started with cigars.

Basically since she has grown up her dad has smoked cigars.

She never had an issue with them and always made sure I had "cigar time" whenever we hung out with friends. On trips to daytona she would always ask if I was going to stop at the indian store(cigar shop right before you get to the beach).

She has always been ok with it...although recently she mentioned I had PLENTY of cigars....and yes I do...and I don't need anymore.

The only thing she expressed to me is she didn't want me smoking everyday/all the time. I don't smoke in the house or in the car...that is my own choice.

She will try to have one with me occasionally but usually can't. I just buy her some chocolate ones or something.
    Last edited by guado; 12-14-2006 at 04:35 PM.

No real stories other than I can no longer bitch when she spends money on what I consider to be dumb purchases. She gets me with the same comeback every freakin' time when I do. The other day, I said to her- "you spent 20 bucks on a damn bottle of shampoo???". Her reply-- "What? You spend that much on one cigar!" Shuts me right up, I tell you.

She does have an occasional cigar with me. Her cigar of choice is the CAO Bella Vanilla. I am slowly breaking her in on MC #5's now.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Quote Originally Posted by slcraiders View Post
    he other day, I said to her- "you spent 20 bucks on a damn bottle of shampoo???". Her reply-- "What? You spend that much on one cigar!" Shuts me right up, I tell you.

they must have a book or secret forum...mine seems to know that one too!

My wife is fine with it. I don't go too crazy in my purchases. I buy by the group of fivers or sampler for the most part, a bundle here or there, onesies, twosies from the B&M occasionally. She'll take a sip or two on occasion, but she won't smoke a whole one. She even encourages me to "get a nice one" once in a while. Once when I went hog wild in a month, she just said, commented that I'd spent more than usual. That was it. She's a gem.
    I don't smoke in the house, except maybe a few puffs by the lit fireplace. And in her car is definitely off limits (as long as I don't get caught).

I'm still trying to decide what to spend the $500 that Pauline is giving me to spend on cigars for Xmas. ...'nuff said.

Except that maybe Godfather has some suggestions. He seems to be really obsessed with this lately.

Quote Originally Posted by slcraiders View Post
    She does have an occasional cigar with me. Her cigar of choice is the CAO Bella Vanilla. I am slowly breaking her in on MC #5's now.
    Every once in a while Sarah will sip a cigar with me. I tell ya, she is the cutest thing when she does it. She's afraid she's gonna inhale it, so she's real careful with it, it's too cute.

Blog Entries

My wife is great about it. As long as I stay within my budget and don't smoke in the house, everything is cool. Sometimes she gives me this when I start raving about some new stick that I just got, but she listens and nods and throws in the appropriate amount of "uh-huh's" to show she is making an effort.....kinda like I do when she's talking clothes, or shoes, or candles.....smiley2:

I just can't smoke in the house (Even in the basement. It works it's way up through the cracks.), or spend a huge amount on cigars. She also doesn't want me smoking every day or neglecting things to smoke. Reasonable requests in this day and age. Although I never realized how much time I DON'T have until we had the baby.

I get about three cigars a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Mostly on the weekends.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

My wife got me into smoking seriously by getting me some quality cigars for a gift... so, needless to say, she's pretty cool about it. She does worry about me smoking too much, she's convinced I'm going to get cancer. But as long as I limit it to one or two a week she's okay. When she gets on my case I try to remind myself that it's only because she wants me around for a while, but it's still annoying.

Whenever I smoke (which is always outside) she'll usually come outside to talk and take a puff of the cigar. She hates it and always makes a nasty face, but it doesn't stop her from trying the next cigar I smoke.

Thread Information