Thread: I hate movie theatres!!!!

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Default I hate movie theatres!!!!

Actually no, I hate many of the people who frequent them.

First, a short review of "Pursuit of Happyness", decent movie, but wait 'till the rental.

Now, here's a letter I wrote last night to the local paper's editor:

December 17, 2006

The Editor
    River Town Times
    Amherstburg, ON

Dear Mr. Thorpe

Yesterday, we decided to take a break from the hustle & bustle of the Season and go take in a new release movie, “Pursuit of Happyness”, to be exact. To be honest, I wasn’t fussy on going because with this being the weekend of release, and close to Christmas, I really figured it would be jam-packed. While it wasn’t at all crowded, there were still the usual annoyances of movie-houses in today’s society. The few people, whom I shall classify as inconsiderate, who seem to frequent the movie theatres when we go, make it a less than pleasurable evening out for those of us who want to enjoy a late release movie in comfort
    We in this area have our choice of two ultra-modern movie houses with all the latest features such as the large, wide seats in theater style arrangement and the great sound systems that make some of today's movies more enjoyable. Of course, we pay for this luxury with top admission prices. If we were permitted to enjoy the shows in the surroundings the way they were intended, it is a small price to pay.
    Unfortunately, as I noted above, there are always a few who seem to have no other purpose than to disturb the patrons who are there to enjoy the movie.
    Here’s a few notes on what we experienced yesterday:
    • We got there early to get a choice seat, figuring it would be crowded. Suprisingly enough, there were only about 30 people in the theatre when we arrived 15 minutes before the ads & previews. However, the imperative late comers showed up during the previews, and as late as a few minutes into the movie, and stood around, getting in the way and complained because they couldn't see due to the darkness. HELLO!!!
    • There were three people who sat directly behind us, and talked, and talked, and talked throughout the whole movie, except when no-one on the screen was talking. These three paid $9.95 each, plus roughly $8 each for popcorn, drinks, etc, totaling ~ $54. They could have stayed home, bought a box of premium beer for roughly $34, $5 for a pack of top of the line popcorn, and $2 for a video they weren't going to pay any attention to anyway. By my math, they would have had over $13 left over, plus beer and popcorn that wasn't consumed. But no, they had to come on the same night we were going, to the same showing of the same movie as we were, and sit right directly behind us. Fate???
    • Then there was the couple who came in late and sat beside us. They chatted a bit, but not as bad as our other "friends" did. But the gentleman who was sitting next to me, must have thought we were Siamese Twins and that he was still attached to me. I squirmed, I moved, I gently pushed, I elbowed, but no, he was intent on sharing the same part of the universe that I had rented for a couple of hours.
    • There was the Oriental lady a couple of rows back who took her mom (I assume) to the show. But it seems her mother couldn’t understand English, so the younger lady translated the whole movie to her in her native tongue!!!
    • Then there are the people who sound like they are chewing their cud like Nellie the cow (why can’t people teach their kids to eat with their mouths closed), the people who see fit to go to a movie at the height of coughing fits (when they aren't sniffling and snorting) due to their colds. There are also those with cell phones and pagers but haven't yet learned to turn down the volume, or turn them off altogether.
    All in all, in my humble opinion (and we are all allowed to have one of those), if you aren't going to sit down, shut up, and enjoy the show, then stay the hell home. Those of us who pay these prices to see the big screen, hear the big sound, and sit in the big seats, don't want those of you who find a movie theater a great place to catch up with old friends, or whatever reason you go there to talk, to share our little time of relaxation with you. Stay away, go somewhere else, who cares where you go, just stay away from theatres.
    Thank you for your time to read this lengthy epistle, and I hope you will see fit to print at least the intent of the letter.

Sincerely,

Jim O'Flaherty
    Thank you.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

That sucks Jim. Did you talk with the manager? Sometimes they will give you another ticket or kick the other people out.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Just spout off like I do. If someone uses their cel phone, I loudly tell them to turn it off or take it outside. If they're constantly talking, I loudly tell them I paid my $10 to listen to the movie, not them, so be quiet or take it outside. And if they get belligerent instead of humiliated, I get the manager and get them evicted. Several times I have received rounds of applause once the jackasses get kicked out.

I rarely go out to the movie theatre now adays because of those reasons. Its atleast $9 a seat now, another $5 for a drink and another $5 for popcorn so there is already $20 for just one person. The only times I do go is when there is a movie I REALLY want to see on the big screen, but even then, thats not that often. The only other time I go to see a movie is when its on a date, but thats only once in a blue moon because I'd rather pay another $30 and have a nice dinner with my lady friends.
    2 Funky Chickens!
    2.5 Pomegranates

Thread Information