Thread: HELP! ISOMS, Avoiding Fakes, Advice.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default HELP! ISOMS, Avoiding Fakes, Advice.

Hi All,

A colleague of mine is off to Cuba for the holidays. He will happily bring me back some cigars, but knows nothing about them really. I need help with what I should tell him to look out for, where to buy, and other such things to ensure that the sticks I get back are legit. anything and everything you can tell me would be great.

-Will
    The Internet - All the Piracy, None of the Scurvy

Only buy from official stores, not from the barman, concierge, guy on street. Beware of major discounts.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Quote Originally Posted by stjohnroe View Post
    Only buy from official stores, not from the barman, concierge, guy on street. Beware of major discounts.
    Yup, that about says it.

He'll hear all the stories about "My sister works................." and "My brother's wife's step'sister'in-law has a second cousin ................. " and all that shit.

If it doesn't have an official receipt, it's probably fake.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

One way to make sure, if you are traveling abroad, especially in Central America, the Caribben or S. America, always visit a La Casa de Habana store. They are the official-run Cuban stores that you can trust, they sell only the real thing, but you will pay full prices for them.

As for online purchaeses, we're not allowed to discuss how to illegally import Cubans into the US on this board, so I can't answer that.

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka View Post
    One way to make sure, if you are traveling abroad, especially in Central America, the Caribben or S. America, always visit a La Casa de Habana store. They are the official-run Cuban stores that you can trust, they sell only the real thing, but you will pay full prices for them.

As for online purchaeses, we're not allowed to discuss how to illegally import Cubans into the US on this board, so I can't answer that.

I'm Canadian so it doesn't matter to me we can do it legally

is it La Casa de Habana or La Casa del Habana?

-W.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    snip... or La Casa del Habana?

-W.
    And yes, you can buy cigars at the factories. And yes, they will have the above mentioned receipts there. This time I didn't go on a tour of Camaguey (closest city) that included a "shopping tour" of a cigar factory. I had planned to and it was one of my goals for that trip. But I came down with a stomach flu for 2 days and couldn't be 5 minutes from a toilet!!
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

I'm Canadian so it doesn't matter to me we can do it legally

is it La Casa de Habana or La Casa del Habana?

-W.
    well if you want to get technical, we're both wrong

http://www.lacasadelhabano.cu/mundo_i.asp

It's La Casa Del Habano

Gotta love it when you can correct the spelling teacher.
    Last edited by cigar no baka; 01-09-2007 at 02:47 PM.

Hey guys, cool thanks... I figured that much at least

How about "what consists of an official store"? is there any chances he could go into a place and it be selling fakes, how should he tell what an official reciept, etc.?

-W.

SNIP...how should he tell what an official reciept, etc.?

-W.
    I wish I had kept my cigar receipts from Cuba. I'd scan one and post it.

Basically, it's a triplicate form about 5" X maybe 7 or 8". They'll need a passport # to put on it as ID that you purchased the smokes. They'll fill in what was purchased in a very detailed way, usually with description and SKU #. If the form isn't filled in completely (all line items, that is) they'll put diagonal lines through the empty spaces to make sure you don't fill in the rest with "illegal" cigars.

Personally, I've been to Cuba twise, been in only 4 stores, plus gift shops on resorts. They all seem to hace access to these receipts in a legal way.

Now, I'm not saying there's no crooks work in any of these shops. I'm just saying there's a much (much, much, much, much) better chance of getting the real thing there than it is on the street.

Another way to tell is to ask for an empty box as a souvenir. I bought 9 Monte Cristo Edmundos in one shop, and that was all they had. I asked if I could take the box, and she said "No Senor!!" I've been told they aren't permitted to give them out unless they're completely sealed. Because of what happened when I asked, I believe that.

Interesting... also found this reference: looks good, any comments?

http://www.cigarnexus.com/counsel/counterfeit/

-Will

Thread Information