Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! ISOMS, Avoiding Fakes, Advice.

Default HELP! ISOMS, Avoiding Fakes, Advice.

Hi All,

A colleague of mine is off to Cuba for the holidays. He will happily bring me back some cigars, but knows nothing about them really. I need help with what I should tell him to look out for, where to buy, and other such things to ensure that the sticks I get back are legit. anything and everything you can tell me would be great.

-Will
    The Internet - All the Piracy, None of the Scurvy

Only buy from official stores, not from the barman, concierge, guy on street. Beware of major discounts.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Quote Originally Posted by stjohnroe View Post
    Only buy from official stores, not from the barman, concierge, guy on street. Beware of major discounts.
    Yup, that about says it.

He'll hear all the stories about "My sister works................." and "My brother's wife's step'sister'in-law has a second cousin ................. " and all that shit.

If it doesn't have an official receipt, it's probably fake.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

One way to make sure, if you are traveling abroad, especially in Central America, the Caribben or S. America, always visit a La Casa de Habana store. They are the official-run Cuban stores that you can trust, they sell only the real thing, but you will pay full prices for them.

As for online purchaeses, we're not allowed to discuss how to illegally import Cubans into the US on this board, so I can't answer that.

Hey guys, cool thanks... I figured that much at least

How about "what consists of an official store"? is there any chances he could go into a place and it be selling fakes, how should he tell what an official reciept, etc.?

-W.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    SNIP...how should he tell what an official reciept, etc.?

-W.
    I wish I had kept my cigar receipts from Cuba. I'd scan one and post it.

Basically, it's a triplicate form about 5" X maybe 7 or 8". They'll need a passport # to put on it as ID that you purchased the smokes. They'll fill in what was purchased in a very detailed way, usually with description and SKU #. If the form isn't filled in completely (all line items, that is) they'll put diagonal lines through the empty spaces to make sure you don't fill in the rest with "illegal" cigars.

Personally, I've been to Cuba twise, been in only 4 stores, plus gift shops on resorts. They all seem to hace access to these receipts in a legal way.

Now, I'm not saying there's no crooks work in any of these shops. I'm just saying there's a much (much, much, much, much) better chance of getting the real thing there than it is on the street.

Another way to tell is to ask for an empty box as a souvenir. I bought 9 Monte Cristo Edmundos in one shop, and that was all they had. I asked if I could take the box, and she said "No Senor!!" I've been told they aren't permitted to give them out unless they're completely sealed. Because of what happened when I asked, I believe that.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Interesting... also found this reference: looks good, any comments?

http://www.cigarnexus.com/counsel/counterfeit/

-Will

I have been told that you can buy cigars right out of the cigar factories in Cuba. Is this true.
    WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?----MY WAY

9. Default

Interesting... also found this reference: looks good, any comments?

http://www.cigarnexus.com/counsel/counterfeit/

-Will

Cigar Nexus is a good to referance the subject. Be sure the cigars you buy never leave your sight during the purchase. I've heard some people scam you by switching the real thing they have on display with fakes at checkout.

Quote Originally Posted by hoodere View Post
    I have been told that you can buy cigars right out of the cigar factories in Cuba. Is this true.
    I personally haven't been but I know of people who did. Just rent a bike and spend 1-2 hrs riding it to get there...they aren't in big towns. You can be assurred they are real if its a store they are in and it costs you a two nights at a resort to buy a box. Generally ask your tour guide if you are on a package and they'll point you to the legit places...usually. I actually found airport prices not to be that bad in Cuba. Price variations are very small between the local B&W there and the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka View Post
    One way to make sure, if you are traveling abroad, especially in Central America, the Caribben or S. America, always visit a La Casa de Habana store. They are the official-run Cuban stores that you can trust, they sell only the real thing, but you will pay full prices for them.

As for online purchaeses, we're not allowed to discuss how to illegally import Cubans into the US on this board, so I can't answer that.

I'm Canadian so it doesn't matter to me we can do it legally

is it La Casa de Habana or La Casa del Habana?

-W.

snip... or La Casa del Habana?

-W.
    And yes, you can buy cigars at the factories. And yes, they will have the above mentioned receipts there. This time I didn't go on a tour of Camaguey (closest city) that included a "shopping tour" of a cigar factory. I had planned to and it was one of my goals for that trip. But I came down with a stomach flu for 2 days and couldn't be 5 minutes from a toilet!!

420seth Guest

Ya man, buy them from the store in the hotel or an actual cigar store in havana or varadero. no junk off the bartenders, pool boys, lifeguards etc. they are all fakes, and poor ones at that.

Quote Originally Posted by 420seth View Post
    Ya man, buy them from the store in the hotel or an actual cigar store in havana or varadero. no junk off the bartenders, pool boys, lifeguards etc. they are all fakes, and poor ones at that.
    Lol! Good luck with that.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

uh... don't buy anything that comes in a glass top box...
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

Quote Originally Posted by mauied1101 View Post
    uh... don't buy anything that comes in a glass top box...
    Damn! I was just looking at a nice glass top Cohiba box!

-W.

ok... except 420seth - you can buy the glass top boxes - their very special limited edition. and make sure you put them right in with your other sticks to permeate the beetles... I mean the aroma...
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

420seth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring View Post
    Lol! Good luck with that.
    Hey dude, what is so funny? Have you even been to cuba? And no you cannot drive a neon there. LOL

420seth Guest

Glass top box of cigars? What you numbskulls talking about? Cigars do not come in glass top boxes?

Hey dude, what is so funny? Have you even been to cuba? And no you cannot drive a neon there. LOL
    Hey dipshit. It is well known that the only place to reliably get authentic Cuban cigars are the Official Cuban Government stores. A lot of hotel shops sell fakes. Just like a lot of B&Ms up here in Canada sell fakes...(betcha didn't know that )

So where in BC are you from anyways? Feel free to post a proper intro.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Thread Information