Thread: Ollie Ann

Blog Entries

Default Ollie Ann

our beloved canine daughter passed away yesterday, 12-26-06.

My wife, Laurie, and I were not able to have children together, though I had two daughters from a previous marriage. We did not get to spend as much time with the girls as we would like, due to a schizo ex, so Ollie Ann came into our life and filled that void completely.

She was a lost and lonely little puppy that followed my wife to the back door of her work one morning 10 years ago. She was so skinny and frail but still, just as cute as she could be. We took her home, and proceeded to kill all the worms that she had and get her healthy. She was a beautiful Chow/Golden retriever mix, loyal, protective, and the love of our lives. She was our constant companion, and a fantastic older sister to her younger brother Stanley (another mix stray that was following the mailman one day several years later). After a couple of days of "rough" times, she welcomed Stan to her home and shared Laurie and I with him unconditionally......just as she loved us.

My heart is very heavy, and I feel like I could burst into tears at any second.......this level of pain is almost unbearable.

I made Ollie a nice casket, and buried her in her favorite place in our yard, where she will always be able to look out the gate and down the driveway.....and where she would always be setting when I came home from work. Laurie's sister and her husband came over to help us through it and we made a little tradition that we plan on observing each year. My bro-in-law had gone to the b/m and picked up two Makers Mark tubos cigars, and after we buried Ollie we cracked open a couple of beers and lit those two stogies.....smoked, drank, and remembered all the things that Ollie had done for us and the things we would remember about her.

We made a solemn vow that this tradition would be repeated each year on December 26, and we would put the bands from the sticks we smoked into one of the glass tubes from this year. If the cigars we smoke in the future years are tubos of any kind, we will destroy them, and only keep the bands. Just like there was only one OLLIE, there can only be one memorial tubo.

I am sorry for the long post, but to all who read this, I appreciate you allowing me to share some of my pain with you........I am lost and hurting very badly. It is almost impossible to concentrate on anything as EVERYTHING makes me think of my girl.....!!

Jamie

man, that sucks. i'm very sorry to hear that.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

bigpoppapuff Guest

Rainbow Bridge
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Sid beat me to it. If you've ever loved a dog who's passed on, you won't be able to read that without welling up.

Jamie, I grew up with dogs, and about 1-1/2 months after we were married in '79, we got "our" first one. We've always had at least one.

We used to have a Black Lab who died at 5. She had cancer (grade 3), we had surgery done and the vet prescribed 50 Mg of Prednozone (sp?). He was honest and said it would either kill or cure. She lasted 3 weeks after that and my daughter called me at work one day and said Mina (the Lab) was down in the back yard and wouldn't get up. I drove home and when the dog heard my pick-up pull into the driveway, Lisa said Mina lifted her head and tried to wag her tail. She died in my arms 2 minutes later.

sniff

We're with ya Bro. Remember, no matter how good you treated her, or how good she had it, she's in a better place now, and will be waiting for you at "Rainbow Bridge".

I'm sorry for your loss.

Pets can become a big part of our lives, and it's sad when they leave us.
    In spite of all evidence to the contrary, the entire universe is composed of only two basic substances: Magic and bullshit.

bigpoppapuff Guest

Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
    - Mark Twain

A dog is the only thing on earth that will love you more than you love yourself.
    - Josh Billings

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
    - Mark Twain

To his dog, every man is Napoleon; hence the constant popularity of dogs. - Aldous Huxley

Man is a dog's ideal of what God should be.
    - Holbrook Jackson

The more I see of men, the more I admire dogs.
    - Jeanne-Marie Roland

Anyone who has lost a pet knows what you are feeling. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Blog Entries

Brothers, thank you all for the kind words and support. It is easier to cry and type, then it would be to try and share any of this with my co-workers, face to face.

I am worried about Stanley, Ollie's little brother. He is looking for her everywhere, smelling her blankets outside, sniffing her food bowl........I don't know what to do....I'm not sure that I can get rid of her stuff just yet, but wonder if it might be better for Stan.

If anyone has had similar experiences, any advice on what to do for Stanley would be appreciated.

This might help. There's other info out there too.

I'm sorry for your loss. I had to take my old guy in to be put down a couple of years ago. It was so damn hard. But man the stories he left.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

bigpoppapuff Guest

no question of the mutual love.....i'll ask this question.....do you think there might be another dog,impounded,that could use your love??
    do you think that dog...unloved right now,might love you back??
    he or she is waiting for you......and stanley...

I lost one of my best friends, my cat, Katmandu, back on June 30th. He was my constant companion for almost 17 years. It hurts like hell, but it will pass and you will always have your memories in your heart you can treasure forever. But I know right now it hurts like hell, so don't be afraid to let your pain out. You have my condolences.

I feel your pain through past experiences. I am truely sorry for your loss. Time will heal the pain and the memories will live on forever.
    Family, Friends and a good cigar. Oh and some fishing too!

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    snip...I am worried about Stanley, Ollie's little brother. He is looking for her everywhere, smelling her blankets outside, sniffing her food bowl........I don't know what to do....I'm not sure that I can get rid of her stuff just yet, but wonder if it might be better for Stan.

If anyone has had similar experiences, any advice on what to do for Stanley would be appreciated.
    When Mina the Black Lab died, we had another Lab who was 1 year younger. This Chocolate thought the Black was her mother, and greived probably worse than we did. She wouldn't eat, drink, and always looked for "Mom". We had to hand feed her, and alomst pour water down her throat.

We saw one solution, another "buddy", so we got a Jack Russell. Well, the Lab thought this was her baby and was thrilled and back to normal.

Look at it this way, two dogs are easier to care for than one. And like Sid said, a pound or rescue group would have just the thing you may be looking for.

We rescued a 4 yo Greyhound 2 -1/2 years ago and she's a joy to have around.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
    When Mina the Black Lab died, we had another Lab who was 1 year younger. This Chocolate thought the Black was her mother, and greived probably worse than we did. She wouldn't eat, drink, and always looked for "Mom". We had to hand feed her, and alomst pour water down her throat.

We saw one solution, another "buddy", so we got a Jack Russell. Well, the Lab thought this was her baby and was thrilled and back to normal.

Look at it this way, two dogs are easier to care for than one. And like Sid said, a pound or rescue group would have just the thing you may be looking for.

We rescued a 4 yo Greyhound 2 -1/2 years ago and she's a joy to have around.
    I don't think either of us could emotionally handle that right now, at least I know that I am not prepared for it. Yes, you are certainly right that a pound or rescue group could help us out, and we would definietly choose that route if/when we are able.

I just got a puppy(5 months old now) and I already dread the day.

I am very sorry for your loss.

sorry for your loss, its amazing how much one can care about an animal. and the thing is, most of the time we dont realize it until after they are gone. (personal experience)
    - Jon -
    New to the cigar world. Trying to find some good smokes

Another of my passions is jeeps/wheelin

17. Default

Sorry about your loss. People that think pets are not family are sorely wrong.

Blog Entries

Will be having a LaAurora preferido platinum tubo this evening.

man i know its tuff being a dog guy myself. we lost a 15 year old beagle over the summer. sorry for your huge loss

dustin

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”

Thread Information