Thread: Humidor question?

bigsmoke Guest

Default Humidor question?

I was recently at a local cigar store and was looking at some humidors. My cigar collection is starting to out grow my four desk top style humidors and I was thinking of getting something a little bigger. Maybe like a 500-800 count vertical style humidor. Anyways they had some nice ones and seemed reasonably priced. I asked where they were made and I was told Taiwan. They said the Taiwanese make the best ones at a great price. I was wondering what some of you might think about this. The one that I liked had about 6-7 slide out trays and I think they said it held around 500-600 cigars but I could be wrong. I think it went for close to $400 Canadian. Anyhow, let me know what you all think.

Personally the cabinet humidors are pretty neat, can hold lots of cigars, and can make for a nice piece of furniture. Having said that, I'd rather have my coolidor. I can just throw boxes in there and just shut the lid, done deal. Cheap alternative too.

3. Default

I would first say that the cigar number for a humidor is for corona sized cigars, so if it says "holds 500 cigars" translate that to 250 churchills.

I would also say that you get what you pay for when it comes to humidors. But there are some good ones for a good price out there.

Always inspect the tightness of the humidor by using a dollar bill. If you place a dollar between the lid and box, and you can pull it out, then it's not a very good humidor IMHO.

I suggest to shop around and consider the coolerador concept, which means for $100 canadian you can get a huge igloo cooler and it will hold 20 boxes or more of cigars very nicely at perfect humidity.

bigsmoke Guest

When you talk about a coolidor what exactly do you mean? I saw some pictures of some of those on the internet but they were expensive. In the range of $1200 and up I think.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsmoke View Post
    When you talk about a coolidor what exactly do you mean? I saw some pictures of some of those on the internet but they were expensive. In the range of $1200 and up I think.
    No, just go to an athletic department or store, buy a coolidor, 75 qt minimum, and then there you go, you have a coolidor. I think I paid less than $20 for mine. We all put Viper's beads in them to hold the humidity constant at 65%rh. My coolidor holds humidity better than my desktop did.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cls515 View Post
    No, just go to an athletic department or store, buy a coolidor, 75 qt minimum, and then there you go, you have a coolidor. I think I paid less than $20 for mine. We all put Viper's beads in them to hold the humidity constant at 65%rh. My coolidor holds humidity better than my desktop did.
    I think he means a cooler...you know, the kind you put beer and whatnot in when you go camping....they're not pretty but they work great.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigsmoke View Post
    "Coolidor" or "coolerdor" is cigar board internet lingo for using a regular cooler like this

adding some sort of humidification system (beads, floral foam, sponge humidifier, etc.) and using it to store your cigars.

Many people start with small desk top style humidors but quickly outgrow them and use coolers to store their cigars.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

8. Default

This site, and many others will show you in great detail how to make a coolerdor. This one has nice pics though.

http://www.stogiereview.com/?p=127

(note, this is just from an internet search. I don't know this website at all)

bigsmoke Guest

Hey, thanks a lot there guys. I am going to set up a coolidor. It sounds like a great way to combine my desktop humidors and save some aggrevation.

10. Default

No problem.

Coolers are great for box and bundle storage, and then once a month or so you rummage through the cooler and pick out one or two of this and one or two of that for the desktop.

I tend to go right to a drybox (nice empty wooden box) and keep it in the truck during the week.

Thread Information