Thread: What Do You Do With the Bands?

Default What Do You Do With the Bands?

Just curious. I use to throw them in an old cigar box I had laying around, that way I could see how many i had smoked, and it would help me remember what I liked. Now I've taken it a step further and started using Chris' Mighty Fine Cigar Review Anaylsis Database Template*, so i've started taping them to the top of the CMFCRAD sheet. I know alot of you dudes do the same. Some might throw it away. Like I said, i was just curious, but mostly bored.

your turn.

* If you, or someone you know, would like to recieve Chris' Mighty Fine Cigar Review Anaylsis Database Template you can contact ChefChris himself, just send him a private message with the email address you would like ChefChris to send his Mighty Fine Cigar Review Anaylsis Database Template to. Please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery, although usually he will respond immediately because he has nothing better to do.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

I used to do the same thing when I started getting serious, Chris. It got too bothersome after a while and I stopped journaling cigars, taping the bands etc. and ceased maintaining an overall inventory at some point. Now I just smoke what I like and keep mental notes of the new ones.

I still hold on to bands in an empty box. Some maker's offer freebies and discounts for bands- i.e. Cuesta Rey. Once in a while, I will get feeling creative and make a mosaic with them and then mat and frame the finished piece.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Quote Originally Posted by slcraiders View Post
    Once in a while, I will get feeling creative and make a mosaic with them and then mat and frame the finished piece.
    this idea has been floating around in my head as well.

ya, i don't journal every cigar. just the first one i try. if i know i like it, i just smoke it. another thing is it really helps me remember some characteristics about the cigar. it's like when I know i need to remember something, so I write a note. The thing is, writing the note is good enough, i won't have to ever look at the note, just writing it helps me remember. i'd like to start knowing more about cigars ie. place of origin, filler, wrapper, crap like that, and writing it really helps. Like, I can remember that the Padron I smoked last nite is made of all Nicaraguan products. usually, i suck at remembering things like that. i probably won't ever have to look back at that note again to remember that. i think you catch my drift.
    Last edited by chefchris; 12-28-2006 at 11:47 AM.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Blog Entries

I throw them into an Scotch bottle case for a future contest that I'm going to hold here.

And, no, I'm not telling you which case...

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    I throw them into an Scotch bottle case for a future contest that I'm going to hold here.
    ...snip
    Cool, I'm going to shamelessly borrow that idea some day if you don't mind.

Chris, I've been saving everything that I liked, and those that were putrid as a reminder. Yard gars or mundane stuff gets tossed. Right now, they're in 2 Short Story boxes.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
    Cool, I'm going to shamelessly borrow that idea some day if you don't mind.

Go ahead, I borrowed it from someone else.

I also save all of my bands. At some point after I've smoked a lot more, I'm planning on making a bulliten board out of my bands and corks from wine I've drank. Tentatively, the corks will be arranged horizontalliy, and will be used for pushing the tacks into. I think I'm just going to have the bands be a border around the edge of the board. Kind of like this:

+ | BAND | BAND | BAND | BAND | BAND | +
    _ [cork] [cork] [cork] [cork] [cork] [cork] _
    B [cork] [cork] [cork] [cork] [cork] [cork] B
    A [cork] [cork] [cork] [cork] [cork] [cork] A
    N [cork] [cork] [cork] [cork] [cork] [cork] N
    D [cork] [cork] [cork] [cork] [cork] [cork] D
    + | BAND | BAND | BAND | BAND | BAND | +

Hope that's not too marta stewart for you all.

Blog Entries

I still do the note taking, band taping thing for the first smoke of a certain kind. I use 3X5 cards kept in a small file box. I keep some additional bands that I think are really cool, or if I particularly like a cigar, and line them up in a row on top of the cabinet in my office. All others are just trashed.

9. Default

Dip em in chocolate ans eat em.

You mean your not suppose to smoke them?

Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    Go ahead, I borrowed it from someone else.

Hhhmmmmmm....... I wonder who ??..... LOL
    I'm not big on doing reviews, tobacco doesn't taste like "cocoa" or "nutty" or "mocha" to me, it tastes like freakin' TOBACCO. I know what I like and I really don't care what other people think of other cigars. I've never read a review and said to myself "Wow, that sounds like a cigar I'd like to try!"

I have not used these guys, yet. I almost did when they had slot machines on the site. They rotate in new items.
    http://www.bandwagonusa.com/

I've been saving them. Maybe make a mosaic on a box or something.

14. Smile

I have two empty five gallon water bottles. One for premiums and favorites(It actually helps my poor memory) , the other for the rest.
    Last edited by Dickson; 12-29-2006 at 05:03 AM. Reason: sp
    "No one can tell me what is a good cigar -- for me. I am the only judge. There are no standards -- no real standards. Each man's preference is the only standard for him, the only one which he can accept, the only one which can command him."
    ~ Mark Twain

I know this is a little old, but I had an idea from my cousin and just recently made a few of these with the help of a laminator, scissors, and some rubber cement.
    http://www.pbase.com/akstogie/inbox

They are suprisingly simple to make, and are my bookmarks for the many books I am reading, and will never finish. On the one side is a cut out from a JR Catalog, and on the other is glued the old bands. Then just cut, and laminate.
    Last edited by AK & Stogie; 01-08-2007 at 04:02 PM.

I'm saving all of them in an old cigar box. One day I hope to take an old table and affix my favorite bands on it, then coat it with something to protect the bands. I think it will make a killer back porch table, chronicling my journey through the wide wide world of cigars. I saw a table at a friends house recently where he did exactly that and it was inspiring.

It would be interesting to do a new table every five years or so as you could track your progression as you go, plus there are plenty of limited edition cigars and cigars that manufacturers cease producing that would add some cachet to the table.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka View Post
    I'm saving all of them in an old cigar box. One day I hope to take an old table and affix my favorite bands on it, then coat it with something to protect the bands. I think it will make a killer back porch table, chronicling my journey through the wide wide world of cigars. I saw a table at a friends house recently where he did exactly that and it was inspiring.

It would be interesting to do a new table every five years or so as you could track your progression as you go, plus there are plenty of limited edition cigars and cigars that manufacturers cease producing that would add some cachet to the table.
    Thats a damn fine idea, cnb!! Now I have another project that will keep me in the garage/workshop for several hours at a time.......where I can smoke when I damn well please!!

ooooooo yeah that table top idea is a cool one. souns like i am gonna add that to my "to do" list
    - Jon -
    New to the cigar world. Trying to find some good smokes

Another of my passions is jeeps/wheelin

You know how people save movie/concert/etc tickets and then frame them? That's what I'm planning on doing with my cigar bands. Once of each favorite smoke until I have enough to fill a frame in. Hopefully it'll hang in my FUTURE cigar/poker/wine room. Future = 25+ years.

Andrew

Thread Information