Thread: Cigar Shape

Default Cigar Shape

Any of you ever smoke a Torpedo shaped cigar and it taste great, but them smoke the same cigar in a toro or robusto size and it's no where near as good? I've done this acouple times. Guess it has to do with the head coming to a point?

For this reason I've only been looking for Torpedo smokes lately

Quote Originally Posted by COMB2 View Post
    Any of you ever smoke a Torpedo shaped cigar and it taste great, but them smoke the same cigar in a toro or robusto size and it's no where near as good? I've done this acouple times. Guess it has to do with the head coming to a point?

For this reason I've only been looking for Torpedo smokes lately
    I had similar experiences. Some cigars tasted best in Toredo shape while others just the opposite. It all depends on the construction and how the filler, binder, wrapper ratio is used. In a torpedo shape the draw will probably be tighter and the length of the cigar filters the smoke in a differnt way than lets say a robusto

So the fatter the stick the greater ratio of filler to binder. The wider the burn and ash, etc. What gets me is the price difference between a robusto and a churchill. Say $5 for a robusto and $6 for a churchill. Close in gauge so I'll spend the extra buck for the longer lasting smoke almost every time.

Quote Originally Posted by pub spears View Post
    So the fatter the stick the greater ratio of filler to binder. The wider the burn and ash, etc. What gets me is the price difference between a robusto and a churchill. Say $5 for a robusto and $6 for a churchill. Close in gauge so I'll spend the extra buck for the longer lasting smoke almost every time.
    One of the head guys at Puros Indios told me when he buys other peoples sticks to try he only buys churchills. He says they cost more but they are usally better sticks because they age longer because not as many people buy them. I started doing the same. If you have never tried a stick most people just go with a shorter, cheapier robusto than paying a couple more bucks for a churchill. So in the time 3-4 boxes of robustos sell the same box of churchills have been ageing.

Makes since to me

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by COMB2 View Post
    One of the head guys at Puros Indios told me when he buys other peoples sticks to try he only buys churchills. He says they cost more but they are usally better sticks because they age longer because not as many people buy them. I started doing the same. If you have never tried a stick most people just go with a shorter, cheapier robusto than paying a couple more bucks for a churchill. So in the time 3-4 boxes of robustos sell the same box of churchills have been ageing.

Makes sence to me
    Good point COMB2. I'm not a torpedo or robusto fan in general. As far as Cuban cigars, I used to prefer the bigger ones but lately, I've been finding that I enjoy the smaller rings more like PCs (42 ring) or Coronas Gordas (46 ring). For Opus X, my favorite is the ReservaD'Chateau which are 48 and my favorite Anejo is the 48 which is also a 48 ring gauge both of which are the "churchill" size.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Thread Information