Thread: ban in chicago

Angry ban in chicago

i just found out on the news tonight that they are trying to pass a ban on smoking (both cigarettes and cigars) in all resturants, taverns and bars in chicago. not that it effects me that much as i don't go to chicago all that often, but just the thought of them taking the safe havens away, makes me sick. and i can see banning them from resturants, but bars and taverns? that's just insane. they tried this in Cali and most resturants' buisiness dropped 30%.

SFG75 Guest

Oh man, don't even get me started on this one. If you haven't done so already, check-out Cigar Jack's section here or his blog about various bans around the country. Very informative, but enough to really make you want to contact some politician.

I just disagree. Sorry, but in NYC, you really couldn't smoke cigars anywhere before the ban anyway. At least at the pubs I go to. Maybe some wealthier folk could afford some nice places that would allow cigars. But in my experience, most places that allowed cigarettes gave us cigar smokers the evil eye and then a not-so-friendly heave-hoe. I can still smoke stogey's in Central Park though. I really hate cigarettes too, having to always dry clean/wash my clothes after going to a bar. I don't mind a coat smelling like cigars, but cigarettes are just plain nasty. I do think the ban should only apply to cigarettes because pipes and cigars actually smell good and don't contain all those nasty chemical toxins.

My two cents.

4. Default Smoking bans are the real threat to democracy

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...,5835969.story

Dear Alderman July 14/05

The bandwagon of local smoking bans now steamrolling across the nation has
    nothing to do with protecting people from the supposed threat of
    "second-hand" smoke.

Indeed, the bans themselves are symptoms of a far more grievous threat, a
    cancer that has been spreading for decades throughout the body politic. This
    cancer is the only real hazard involved - the cancer of unlimited government
    power.

Loudly billed as measures that only affect "public places," smoking bans
    have actually targeted many privately owned places such as bars and shops -
    places whose owners should be free to ban smoking or not and whose customers
    are free to patronize or not. Outdoor bans even harass smokers in places
    where others’ health is obviously not the issue.

The decision to smoke or to avoid "second-hand" smoke, is a question for
    each individual to answer based on his own values and judgment. This is the
    same kind of decision free people make regarding every aspect of their
    lives. All lifestyle decisions involve risks; some have demonstrably harmful
    consequences; many are controversial and invite disapproval from others… but
    the individual must be free to make these decisions. He must be free,
    because his life belongs to him, not to others, and only his own judgment
    can guide him through it.

Yet when it comes to smoking this freedom of choice for a minority, is being
    seriously limited by a majority made baselessly fearful through massive
    media campaigns often funded by tax dollars.

The real threat we face here, no matter how strongly it is denied by the
    anti-smoking lobby, is the systematic and unlimited intrusion of government
    into our lives.

We do not elect officials to control and manipulate our behaviour. They are
    in office to serve us, not visa versa.

P.S.

These special interest groups are using the Health issue to try to lobby politicians to pass 'no-smoking by-laws'

But their true agenda is to denormalize smoking.

Passing smoke-free legislation is a big step in that direction.

Unfortunately the smokers and the hospitality sector are caught in the cross-fire

Politicians know that 75% of the public doesn't smoke and therefore these politicians try to get elected or re-elected on the backs of the hospitality sector.

What ever happened to the politicians in the 60's.."I would rather be right than President"

toledo,ohio 1440 royalton toledo oh 43612

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...,5835969.story

Dear Alderman July 14/05

The bandwagon of local smoking bans now steamrolling across the nation has
    nothing to do with protecting people from the supposed threat of
    "second-hand" smoke.

Indeed, the bans themselves are symptoms of a far more grievous threat, a
    cancer that has been spreading for decades throughout the body politic. This
    cancer is the only real hazard involved - the cancer of unlimited government
    power.

Loudly billed as measures that only affect "public places," smoking bans
    have actually targeted many privately owned places such as bars and shops -
    places whose owners should be free to ban smoking or not and whose customers
    are free to patronize or not. Outdoor bans even harass smokers in places
    where others’ health is obviously not the issue.

The decision to smoke or to avoid "second-hand" smoke, is a question for
    each individual to answer based on his own values and judgment. This is the
    same kind of decision free people make regarding every aspect of their
    lives. All lifestyle decisions involve risks; some have demonstrably harmful
    consequences; many are controversial and invite disapproval from others… but
    the individual must be free to make these decisions. He must be free,
    because his life belongs to him, not to others, and only his own judgment
    can guide him through it.

Yet when it comes to smoking this freedom of choice for a minority, is being
    seriously limited by a majority made baselessly fearful through massive
    media campaigns often funded by tax dollars.

The real threat we face here, no matter how strongly it is denied by the
    anti-smoking lobby, is the systematic and unlimited intrusion of government
    into our lives.

We do not elect officials to control and manipulate our behaviour. They are
    in office to serve us, not visa versa.

P.S.

These special interest groups are using the Health issue to try to lobby politicians to pass 'no-smoking by-laws'

But their true agenda is to denormalize smoking.

Passing smoke-free legislation is a big step in that direction.

Unfortunately the smokers and the hospitality sector are caught in the cross-fire

Politicians know that 75% of the public doesn't smoke and therefore these politicians try to get elected or re-elected on the backs of the hospitality sector.

What ever happened to the politicians in the 60's.."I would rather be right than President"
    i live in toledo ohio ,last year they enacted a smoking ban,but since then a lot of the bars have found ways around it,smoking clubs,private parties all types of scams.I saw an article today ,it said they hav only issued 11 citations in the last year. smoking bans,and thats from someone who hates ciggarette smoke
    I drink a great deal.I sleep a little,and i smoke cigar after cigar.That is why i am in two-hundred percent form
    -Winston Churchill

TheyCallMeManiX Guest

sadly its allready happened here in miami

And yet hookah bars are flourishing (see other thread). Just another example of the intoxicating power of politics that lures power hungry individuals into "serving others." The funny thing is that many politicians are smokers and they even are able to get Cubans without any fear of reprisal.

Land of the free? It seems less and less so every day.

Michael

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeManiX
    sadly its allready happened here in miami
    Yeah, I know. ALL of Florida has closed and gone out of business because smoking is not allowed inside if they serve any food. Shark attacks couldn't do it, Hurricanes either!

Bar after bar, restaurant after restaurant has gone out of business
    ... ALL BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO SMOKE OUTSIDE!!!

Please.

Take your tobacco outside, enjoy the weather & smoke your brains out.

Hell, if we run into each other (outside of course) you can have the pick from my otter box.

Brent

TonyDogs Guest

Default Ban In Indianapolis watered down!

Well the anti smoke nuts passed the the ban here but they did not get what they wanted.
    Here in Indianapolis all cigar bars are exempt.
    The way I understad the law if you have children in your establishment it has to be non-smoking.
    So most bars dont allow anyone under 21 to come in so they are going to stay smoking.

Really I must admit I think this was a good compromise. So all restaurants that allow children are going to be non smoking, fair enough

Pubs might be the only ones that will have a problem with this.

Here in Indianapolis there was alot of powerfull people trying to ban smoking alltogether in public places, so I really think we are lucky!

I agree, I think the politicians have jumped on the bandwagon.
    They are interested in votes and ratings, not on real issues.

11. Default

It's even surfaced here in the tobacco state of NC. Fortunately, it was defeated, this time. But I think our days are numbered across this once-great land.

I was just sitting here at my desk and just heard a stupid commercial on the radio urging citizens in Chicago to call the mayor to tell him that they support a smoking ban in Chicago. THAT! I should call him and tell him that I support banning the non-smokers out of the city. If they don't like the smoke, move to a Podunk town where they can all dress the same, live in the same types of houses, get paid the same, and live like robots!

TheyCallMeManiX Guest

thinking back on this, i can see how i would not like to smell some cheap ass piece of shit cigarette smoke while im eating my 30 dollar steak.

cigars are NOT in this equation . . . cigars should be as common with a steak as A1 or a wine glass on the table

Thread Information