Thread: When storing/aging bundles

Blog Entries

Default When storing/aging bundles

do you remove the over wrap from the bundles? I know that the cello each cigar is in is permeable, and that to remove/not remove is personal preference....but is the "shrink" wrapping that encloses the entire bundle permeable as well, or should it be removed for storage? Seems like it would save space in the coolidor if it was left on...keeps the sticks tighter together...but not sure if this is a good thing either. Since the retailers must store them this way, I am thinking it doesn't really matter???

This is a great question. I would think leaving that that tightly packed and limiting the amount of air circulation would definitely decrease their aging potential vs just being in their cello in a small open basket or something like that.

I am curious to hear others though.

how long are you planning to age these bundles?

I really don't think it matters one way or the other but if you going to keep them for a year or more what I've done (with Jose L. P Cazadors) is unpackage them all and put them in an empty hemingway singature box. Fit perfect and added to the aroma.

So maybe what you can do is hit your shop up for a wooden box that will fit the bundle.

Or just toss them in.

If you planning to age these for years, go for an unvarnished box.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    how long are you planning to age these bundles?

I really don't think it matters one way or the other but if you going to keep them for a year or more what I've done (with Jose L. P Cazadors) is unpackage them all and put them in an empty hemingway singature box. Fit perfect and added to the aroma.

So maybe what you can do is hit your shop up for a wooden box that will fit the bundle.

Or just toss them in.

If you planning to age these for years, go for an unvarnished box.
    Well, I would like to age them for a year or more. I made a mistake when I first bought them and removed all the cello's and put them in the humi naked and want to avoid this for sure so the cello will stay on at the very least. They really improve with age, which is a good thing since they are pretty inexpensive when bought 2-3 bundles at a time and buying in this qty allows me to give them time to age.

I do have some boxes, and that is what I put them in when I transferred them to the coolidor, but it really kills the space. (yeah yeah so buy a bigger cooler I know). I have taken some thin sp.cedar strips and lined the cooler already, so the aroma should be o.k......as long as the outer wrapping is permeable.

If you don't mind which bundles are you talking about?

Blog Entries

Dammit, I knew somebody would expose my cheapiness.......I am specifically talking about some Empresario's from the dreaded Thompsons, however, I think this would apply to any bundled stick. Like the Torano Brick, FdO maduros, Rocky 2nds, etc.......all of which are options for bulk purchases that fit my budget well. Which again, leads to storage considerations.

BTW.....I like the Empresario as an affordable daily rotation smoke, at around .99/stick....they get much better when aged for a few months IMHO, and I have smoked several fresh and several aged. PM me your addy Guado and I will send you one that I have had since July for you to try.

If the bundles come in the cellophane that is closed, then you at least need to open the ends so the cigars can get a little circulation. Like posted above they need some air circulation to age properly, ie. release ammonia. I don't know about the aging of a bundle with the cellophane open on the ends compared to cigars taken out of the cellophane and put in cigars. You may want to try both methods and see what works best and report the findings.

By the way, is that experiment lame?

Thread Information