Thread: Cusano 1997 Corojo Robusto

Default Cusano 1997 Corojo Robusto

Cusano 1997 Corojo Robusto

I've had this cigar sitting in my humidor for about a month. I wasn't sure if I'd have time to really enjoy a cigar so I chose the Cusano 1997 Corojo Robusto. They are inexpensive cigars that are usually well constructed and pleasant flavor profile. I'm also a fan of the Cusano 18 Robusto.

The cigar was well constructed but maybe just a bit under-filled as the draw was a bit easier than I like. The burn was even and the ash clung to cigar needing a firm shake to be unlodged. Which is nice since I don't really care for pants full of ash. One thing I appreciate about these spicier wrappers is the pleasant aroma of the smoke. The cigar was medium-bodied with a spicy cedar undertone. The Corojo wrapper with the Mexican Sumatra binder is a pleasing combination.

Unfortunately I was unable to smoke it as long as I like as I was needed elsewhere but I get the feeling I would have smoked the cigar down past the band. The flavor was consistent from start to finish a cedar and leather flavors finished off my evening meal nicely. I'll give this cigar a 7 out of 10.

2. Default

(Newbie frustration!!)
    Damnit, I just spent nearly an hour typing up a review for this cigar and three others in the Cusano line and my browser went back a page and erased the entire contents of my post!!

Let me sum up my twelve paragraph thesis and lifes work by stating that the Corojo 1997 is a good smoke for the price with a nice spicy tobacco taste and that the Cusano bundle line CC and P1 are also excellent smokes for the price ($2).

arg! I cant believe that I did that, I though I was really making a good entrance (my second post here) and make a good name for myself and now i just feel silly. If I wasn't only half way through this Extra Ordinary Larry I would be much more upset.. This two hour maduro is the third one i've smoked this week and about the only acid cigar that I am willing to smoke anymore. You can actually taste the tobacco in one of these rather than the overstimulating olfactory invasion and the feeling of sitting next to your grandmother in church who has drenched herself in her most pungent perfume to cover up the old lady smell..

The cusano 10th anniversary is a decent cigar but is rather small for the $6 pricetag that I paid for it. It is made with four different wrapper types and is suppost to come close to resembling an original cuban montecristo #4. The boxes they come in (10 per) are rather classy looking, each with its serial number engraved on a metal plate. I would possibly purchase one of these boxes if the price was right. The cigar was smooth but still complex enough to keep my interest. Its construction was nice with an even draw and burn.

The CC (Full Cuban Style) is pretty good for the $2 price tag in the churchhill size. I'm not so sure if it actually resembles a Cuban, although ive never had a cuban cigar, only PsuedoHabanos. Back in highschool, I had a friend who smoked cigarettes and he would steal cigars for me.(I do not condone shoplifting, especially from your tobacconist! I was ignorant, although I never stole, it was still wrong although I probably wouldnt be into cigars as much as I am today if it wasnt for lighting up that first Hoyo de monterrey Excalibur #1) Anyways, He came back from vacation with a large cigar that he claimed was a Cuban that he stole from a smoke shop at an indian reservation. It did not have a band on it and I recall disposing of it about half way through as it packed a punch that my illinformed machine made cigar smoking self could not handle. The only other cigar was a "Cohiba" that was sold to me a fake. However, when I questioned the tobacconist from another shop in the area he informed me that they had been selling these as fakes but they were actually real and they were trying to get rid of them quickly... These were Cohiba's with a light brown wrapper and the band was yellow/orange on the bottom yielding the words "Republica Dominica" and four lines of white dots on a black background on top. I have no clue about them nowadays because ive heard so many contradicting explainations for these $5 sticks. All I know is that they were pretty good and I didn't mind smoking them.

The P1 is a smooth maduro that I enjoy more so than the CC. I purchase the Churchhill's for two dollars a stick and would likely rather buy three of the bundle cigars than the one Anniversary which I would rather smoke only on occasion.

Well, as my smoke begins to ware on me with its now harsh tarry taste, i'm going to conclude. My hands are starting to feel crippled with pain from typing for the past two hours. I really wish I could have shared what I originally wrote but ashes to ashes, stick to stick.. There are many more posts to create, replies to be made, and cigars to be smoked.

Slightly frustrated, in a cloud of smoke, entheomation - newbie extrordinair.

I do all my reviews offline first then post them to all more normal haunts. I've lost way too much work to the Back button before.

Blog Entries

I'm not a fan of these mostly because as CigarJack mentioned, the draw is way too loose for my liking and I don't find the taste of these to my liking.

5. Default

I smoked the Churchhill Size of the CC, Cuban Style Cusano today and was a bit unimpressed. It tasted rather bitter and boring and as stated, had a poor draw but somewhat of an even and slow burn.. I would not likely smoke another because after indulging I pretty much lost all desire to smoke another cigar.. Maybe I just got a bad one because it left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.
    Last edited by entheomation; 05-30-2005 at 08:00 PM.

Yeah the CC is nothing to write home about.

7. Default Cusano Corojo and 10th Ann. Cigar of the Week, Cigar Insider

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar...45,367,00.html

Cigar of the Week
    Cigar:Cusano 10th Anniversary Crown Corona

Score: 89
    Size Petit Corona
    Length 5"
    Ring Gauge 42
    Price $5.90
    Filler: Dom. Rep., Honduras, U.S.A./Conn. Broadleaf
    Binder: Mexico Wrapper: Ecuador

This cigar is veiny, but has a superb draw and burn. It's toasty, with Earl Gray tea flavors and a sweet wood finish.

Source: Cigar Aficionado, April 2005

I think i'm going to have to go out and pick myself up a Corojo and Anniversary today.

I don't put much stock in what CA says. Cigars are subjective, what you love others may hate.

SFG75 Guest

I have a good number of Cusano P1's. Absolutely horrid cigar to smoke right after purchase. To me, it's one ofthose that you have to let sit for awhile. I must say that I've enjoyed these after the initial six month sleeping period in my coolidor. Cusano also has an interesting website as well. I bought a bundle of the P1 corona sized cigars.
    http://www.cusanocigars.com/p1-cigar.asp
    Last edited by SFG75; 05-31-2005 at 04:22 PM.

Just last night I tried my first Cusano 1997 Corojo Torpedo. The flavor was pleasant, not great but not bad by any stretch, and it did have a nice ash. It did have a few flaws however. As mentioned by others the draw was very loose and it burned uneven. The one I was smoking also started to unroll at the shoulder. There is no way I cut it too high and caused it. I actually had to slide the band towards the shoulder to help keep it together. The other problem I had was keeping it lit. I had to relight it 3 times but will give it a break on this problem because it was rather breezy where I was sitting and this could have contributled to the problem. As I said, the taste was enjoyable but the other problems made it a hassle to enjoy.

11. Default

CJ: Thanks for that pointer, I'll keep it in mind. I believe that I am slowly learning not to always trust these reviews. I'm not to fond of these crazy descriptions talking about tasting leather and wood as i've never been able to point that out in a cigar, maybe it is just something you learn with experience.. All I know is what I like and that I want to explore more cigars to find what pleases me. I know that this particular stock of P1's (as well as the CC's) had been sitting in the smoke shops humi for several months as they hardly sale any of these..

I went ahead and purchased a corojo 1997 and a Cusano 18. I'll let you know how I like them.

Thread Information