Thread: Intel builds 80-core processor prototype

Default Intel builds 80-core processor prototype

Article

It's an intersting look at what processor architecture may look like in a decade or so... the potential is there to change the way computers are built. And this thing consumes less wattage than the current quad-core chips that are out, which may become a driving factor in chip development we as a global society work to conserve energy in the future.

Any tech-heads care to discuss? /
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Ok, so it's an 80 ring gauge 4-cigar culebra or something

PS - nice to see you back 8-5-8.
    Last edited by nhcigarfan; 01-18-2007 at 04:20 PM.

This is very interesting on paper but it will be even more interesting to see in action. The problem I see is that this will be so far away. I believe 4-6 years until the architecture is available, and then another 2-3 years until any kind of software is designed to use the power of this many cores.

Mainstream dual core technology is 1 1/2 years old already, yet there are almost no software applications that can use it to it's full potential.

But with technology you never know what the real timeline will be. Maybe this architecture will be available in just a few years and hopefully software developers will have caught up by then and be able to scale their software to multiple cores quickly.

But that's just my opinion.

-Dan
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Wow, it's been a while. Welcome back!! I don't have enough tech know-how to discuss this though.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Exactly my thoughts, Dan. But it is a nice little look "over the horizon" so to speak. And I'm thinking that with that many cores, even ones less functional than the individual cores on the current chips, it may be possible to offload the threading function to some of that hardware, eventually allowing engineers to write "one-code-fits-all" programs that can make use of one core or one hundred.

Speculation, I know, but it is quite exiciting! (to a nerd like myself, anyhow)
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

great, here comes skynet and I ain't know john connors

Here's a really good article about how Valve (the makers of Half-Life) are reworking the programming for their source engine and how they are trying to future proof it for the entuality of massive multi-core system.

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2006/...e_Engin/1.html

It's also a very good read on the "over the horizon" aspects of multi-core architecture and how it may be implemented is software.

-Dan
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

And thanks, guys... it's great to be back!

And Dan, you a regular Bit-Techer?

Quote Originally Posted by 8-5-8 View Post
    And Dan, you a regular Bit-Techer?
    That's the second site I check every morning when I get to work, the first being WOOT!

After I finish reading the new articles on Bit-Tech I head here and start reading.

-Dan

10. Default

At the quad core release I believe they had an estimated release date of 2012 for a 40 core model.

Blog Entries

Welcome back 8-5-8
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Thanks CC! Good to see you're still a regular around these parts.

CC went AWOL last fall, but he's been around a lot since the elections finished up. Got back just in time to help us run off a few real asshats.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Thread Information