Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RH 65% or 70%

1. Default RH 65% or 70%

Ok
    65% or 70% RH for the Humidors
    Which is better and why?
    thanks
    Tim

We've noticed some cigars taste differently at different humidity levels. I use 65 so that they are more on the dryer side. And, even with beeds, the rh fluctuates a little. I'd rather have it fluctuate to 70 with 65 beads, rather than 75 with 70 beads.

I've heard 70 is better for long term aging but I can't attest to any truth in that.

65%, your sticks have a much more 'smokable' when the humidity fluctuates. Plus, at 70% I find smokes to be a little too wet.

Disclaimer: that’s my own personal preference.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

It's really a matter of personal preference as to where in the "range" you want to be. I keep mine on the dry side 60-63% becuase they tend to burn better. Over time you'll find your "sweet spot" that suits your preference.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries

Between 65 and 68, as others have said, lower RH allows my sticks to stay pretty smokeable even with minor RH fluctuations, but indeed this is an individual thing.

I'm with 8-5-8 on this. I prefer my smokes on the dryer side. I keep my humis at around 60-63%, and will even pre-cut, and dry-box certain cigars, before I light 'em.

CAO's especially seem to like a lower RH. If you've ever had a cigar that seems to burn hot, and have a quite a bit of harshness, try letting them dry out a bit.

Personally, I try to keep my sticks around 65-67. I find 70 is too high and causes a few more burn problems. Anything less than 65 and they get too dry and I have problems with wrappers cracking.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

I think 70 is too wet. It seems B&Ms keep at 70%, and the cigars are a little wet for my taste. 62 to 65, much better, and even then, maybe a dry box for a day or two, if the draw or roll is tight. Just my HO. Better burn, more smoke, easier draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
    I'm with 8-5-8 on this. I prefer my smokes on the dryer side. I keep my humis at around 60-63%, and will even pre-cut, and dry-box certain cigars, before I light 'em.

CAO's especially seem to like a lower RH. If you've ever had a cigar that seems to burn hot, and have a quite a bit of harshness, try letting them dry out a bit.
    IMO burning hot and being harsh is relative to being TOO dry.

I prefer 65, just like the burn and flavor at that level

I think I know why B&M's keep their humidity at 70%. Even seen someone walk into the humidor and start finger-fucking every cigar in sight? If the cigars were at 65%, they'd get a lot more split wrappers than they already do.

I speak of finger-fucking from lots of first-hand viewing at my B&M, where I hang out a lot. I'd say half the customers come in and have to pick up every damn cigar that catches their eye, and if they put too much pressure on the wrapper, the cigar will go POP and the wrapper will crack. It would be much worse if they kept their humidor at 65%, it's bad enough at 70%.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

I'm also a fan of the 65% range, any fluctuations keep the smoke smokeable the way I like em. I have had a few from a much higher humidity from say a B&M that I have let sit to actually dry out in the 65% so that they burn properly. I too have also heard that 70% is better for ageing but I'm not convinced.

-W.
    The Internet - All the Piracy, None of the Scurvy

420seth Guest

70% is better. More moist is always better. A dry stick is no fun.

Quote Originally Posted by 420seth View Post

WRONG!

Dumbass!
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring View Post
    WRONG!

Dumbass!
    Straight up.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Quote Originally Posted by 420seth View Post
    I don't think he's talking about cigars at this point...
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

I keep mine around 65 - and that's just the beads talking. Like folks have mentioned, it's all preference - and some folks like to keep their ISOMs at a lower RH than other sticks.

As for the B&Ms - I think it's also the traffic - and how much/how long you keep the humidor closed versus constantly opening/closing it.
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

63-65%, especially for ISOMs. 70% leads to burn problems.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

my 2 cents worth... 63-65%

Midlothian, Virginia in the Subs. Longwood University....in FARMVILLE Virginia....

my two humidors are sitting pretty at 64 and 65 rh. Then i have a tubador for my Isoms at around 58 rh
    "After a truly good meal, an outstanding cigar is still the most satisfying after-dinner activity that doesn't involve two human beings."
    Brad Shaw

"Pull out a Montecristo at a dinner party and the political liberal turns into the nicotine facist."
    -- Martyn Harris

1 termite
    +1 raisin

Thread Information