Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RH 65% or 70%

420seth Guest

70%, is best. I live in a real dry climate. Must keep em high and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by 420seth View Post
    70%, is best. I live in a real dry climate. Must keep em high and go from there.
    No.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Quote Originally Posted by 420seth View Post
    I lived in Vegas and I kept 'em at 65%. And FYI - your humi is meant to be a micro-climate, so the constant RH in the humi has little to do with how dry the air is outside the humi unless you keep the lid open.
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

Damn, Ive been keeping mine at like 73.

Quote Originally Posted by Kass View Post
    Damn, Ive been keeping mine at like 73.
    If you like your smokes at that RH, that's all that counts. Never let anyone tell you different.

Brenham, TX.....home of BlueBell Ice Cream!

It comes down to personal preference..... We can arugh over what weight oil to run in our cars to. 5W-30, 10W-30. There really is no wrong answer to this question. Some guys like it around 65ish and some like theirs around 70ish. My beads keep my humidor at 68% almost all the time. That rh seems to work for me, so I dont mess with em.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    If you like your smokes at that RH, that's all that counts. Never let anyone tell you different.
    Thats true, but I always thought that 75 recommended, plus I don't know shit about cigars...
    However, I got some Montecristo #4 from my brother a couple weeks ago. The first 2 I smoked were much better than the one I smoked last night. The first 2 were probably drier than the one last night because my bro doesn't have a humidor.

I keep mine at 68 to 70. I tend not to have burn problems and I do live in a very dry environment. It's all personal preferance...
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

9. Default Isoms

OK I give what does iSOM spell out?

Quote Originally Posted by tbroadley View Post
    OK I give what does iSOM spell out?
    Island South of Miami

Quote Originally Posted by dHUTCH View Post
    It comes down to personal preference..... We can arugh over what weight oil to run in our cars to. 5W-30, 10W-30. There really is no wrong answer to this question. Some guys like it around 65ish and some like theirs around 70ish. My beads keep my humidor at 68% almost all the time. That rh seems to work for me, so I dont mess with em.
    Exactly. I was just saying that Sethie is wrong saying 70% is "best", or that higher is better. There is no best humidity. Find out what works for you and do it.

Also, some people's hygrometers may be out of whack, so that 70% could easily be 65% or 75%.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring View Post
    Also, some people's hygrometers may be out of whack, so that 70% could easily be 65% or 75%.

That is also a very good point

I feel good about my cooler as long as it's in the mid-60s to 70 range, with no abrupt fluctuations like what would happen if the lid were left open. And the beads keep it in that range. I live in a dry climate, which requires me to recharge the beads once every 6-8 weeks, and more frequently in the summer.

From what I understand, 70/70 is for long-term storage and aging and if you're doing this, then you're set up to maintain these "ideal" conditions for years at a time, rarely opening the unit. Cigars bought and smoked within a few weeks or even months (or even a year) will likely receive no noticable benefit in a perfect 70/70 environment. While keeping them in the "range" will preserve a decent draw, minimize burn problems (but it won't eliminate them), and you'll be able to have a place to put all the cigars you get in trades, order online, or bring home from your b&m, which is likely most cigars for most of us.

Cigars I tend to want to store for a wihle go to the bottom of the box, for minimum impact.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

I like to keep mine 65ish tending a little over...

when I kept em at 70 I seemed to have my cigars split while Iwas smoking them and they tended to go out more and I'd have to relight a half dozen times.
    -=JStrider=-
    ~a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke. -- Rudyard Kipling

~Clatto Verata Nicto

Quote Originally Posted by JStrider View Post
    I like to keep mine 65ish tending a little over...

when I kept em at 70 I seemed to have my cigars split while Iwas smoking them and they tended to go out more and I'd have to relight a half dozen times.

What do you mean by split? As in the wrapper got a crack in it and would start to peal back? This is not caused by higher RH; in fact the higher the RH the less likely a leaf is to crack. Think of leaves on the ground. A dried up non wet leaf will crumble easier than a non-dried up leaf.

Quote Originally Posted by dHUTCH View Post
    Think of leaves on the ground. A dried up non wet leaf will crumble easier than a non-dried up leaf.
    ... but does it make a noise if no one is there to hear it?

Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

the wrapper would crack kinda *shrug* it was back when I was first getting my tupperdor first setup, maybe it was something else... I get what your saying tho.

*shrug* they dont do it anymore and I dont have to relight as much... so its all good
    -=JStrider=-
    ~a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke. -- Rudyard Kipling

~Clatto Verata Nicto

420seth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JStrider View Post
    the wrapper would crack kinda *shrug* it was back when I was first getting my tupperdor first setup, maybe it was something else... I get what your saying tho.

*shrug* they dont do it anymore and I dont have to relight as much... so its all good
    nice pic dude. i dig ur shit.

I'll go ahead and speak up for 70%, since it seems to be in the minority around here.
    I used to keep my humidor around 65, but switched to 70% (well, it stays closer to 68, but whatever).

I liked them both ways, but I think I like the smokes at 70% slightly more.

Thread Information