Thread: Geico....wtf!!!!

bigpoppapuff Guest

Default Geico....wtf!!!!

i've been with nationwide for around 20 years.....my two older sons had switched to geico and are happy with the service...
    my insurance is due for my next year 2/1......i decided to get a quote from the lizard.....
    i'm now going to be paying less in a year than i was paying in 6 months with nationwide......!!!!!?????....WTF!!!!

and...it was easy!!!...

Cool. I guess I am spoiled with my provincial government insurance. One rate, one company.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

I switched to Geico over a yr ago... saving a couple of hundred dollars.... then I moved out of the City... my insurance is 1/3 of what I was paying
    I'm not big on doing reviews, tobacco doesn't taste like "cocoa" or "nutty" or "mocha" to me, it tastes like freakin' TOBACCO. I know what I like and I really don't care what other people think of other cigars. I've never read a review and said to myself "Wow, that sounds like a cigar I'd like to try!"

Wow, I'm going to have to check that out. I just got another under 18 driver ...

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff View Post
    i've been with nationwide for around 20 years.....my two older sons had switched to geico and are happy with the service...
    my insurance is due for my next year 2/1......i decided to get a quote from the lizard.....
    i'm now going to be paying less in a year than i was paying in 6 months with nationwide......!!!!!?????....WTF!!!!

and...it was easy!!!...
    I'm not an expert in insurance, but I know that the competition for car insurance has been really strong in recent years (thus all of the commercials). The rates on all of the companies are dropping.

A lot of times a company's rates will drop, but they don't apply it for current members. That's why it's always good to get a quote online from your current insurance company to see if it's lower than what you're paying. If it is, call them up and tell them, most will drop your rate on the spot.

I have been with Geico for 6 years now. If you need just regular insurance no fancy add ons they are hands down the best company at least in NY state

Quote Originally Posted by derivation View Post
    I'm not an expert in insurance, but I know that the competition for car insurance has been really strong in recent years (thus all of the commercials). The rates on all of the companies are dropping.
    WRONG! Not all the compaines can drop like the ones that just offer car insurance. They didn't take a huge hit like others did because of natural diasaters. Geico has a 64% "turn-over" rate and from what I heard, shitty claim service. But that's just what I've heard.

It's always good to call up your insurance agency and go over what you have and what they think. Ask if you can be moved to a better company. One of my main jobs if looking over customer records and see what's "move-able".

Question

I'm with Nationwide and my insurance just went up. No apperant reason. Been with them since 89. I think it's time to move on. Anybody know anything about Allstates plans?
    "No one can tell me what is a good cigar -- for me. I am the only judge. There are no standards -- no real standards. Each man's preference is the only standard for him, the only one which he can accept, the only one which can command him."
    ~ Mark Twain

I'll just relay what my sister went through. She was with Allstate, and they pissed her off, so she gave me a call and asked if AAA could get her a quote. I transferred her over to insurance since I work in travel.

She called me back later to ask WTF since she got a rate almost $500 less per year with AAA. Then she called Geico and they quoted her $300 more than Allstate was charging her. So I guess it all depends on who you are, and where you live.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Fl ins sucks. I keep getting bent over and the rates only go up each year...ugh. I have not had a ticket or claim in 6+ years and the rates go up every time I renew...that is my WTF.

Glad to hear though BPP. I like it when people find great deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickson View Post
    I'm with Nationwide and my insurance just went up. No apperant reason. Been with them since 89. I think it's time to move on. Anybody know anything about Allstates plans?
    I have had a bad experience with All-State though they were the cheapest insurance company I ever had. They dropped me for two accidents that were not my fault and of which they recovered damages from the other driver’s insurance company (damn Florida no fault law).

I also had problems with Geico with their customer service. I was going to School in Florida and a resident of Maryland. I was calling up about information on changing with them to a FL plan if possible and they said they couldn’t do that and I would have to get a FL insurance plan once my term expired. Not to mention I was paying for AAA coverage and when I actually needed a tow truck they said I didn’t have the coverage. After about a month of arguing with them they realized they were wrong.

I don’t think many people have had a good experience with insurance companies though since you really only need them when S@^$ hits the fan. I would just pick the cheapest insurer (check out progressive that’s where I got my quotes online when I changed companies, and surprisingly the cheapest wasn’t progressive).

In the 10 years that I've been driving I've only had 2 insurance companies, Alfa and State Farm. I've had great service and the best prices from them. The only reason I switch from Alfa to State Farm is that Alfa didn't offer motorcycle insurance.

Geico has always quoted me higher than any other insurer, I'm not really sure why.

Also I know a lot of people that have worked for Geico (one of their major call centers is in the area). And the people that worked there said that they had an extremely high turn-over rate because they were told to try and find any way they could to keep from paying the customers' claims. But that may have just been angry workers.

-Dan
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Cliff Notes: Shop around on insurance you can save a bunch, Geico is fine until you try to file a claim.

I do not have Geico but have been involved in 2 accidents where they were involved due to another party... they have been nothing but a PITA for myself and for the client they were representing.

I have Progressive now, had State Farm from the age of 15.5 - 22.5.

State Farm I had a perfect record.
    I then had 2 at fault accidents in a 4mo time frame totaling about 250-300k in payout covering everything.
    State Farm dropped me. I wasn't shocked at all.
    I freaked... nobody is going to cover me.
    Called Progressive.
    Not only did they cover me with my 2 at fault wrecks and ticket they saved me approximately 400-500 a year compared to what I was paying with SF with my PERFECT record.

I found out from Progressive that my rates will also drop this year (not sure how much though since I'm going from married to single) when I hit 25 and my first accident drops off, followed by the 2nd accident and ticket. I CAN'T WAIT!!!
    Seatbelts save lives, my best friend and I are alive because of them.

Nobody is ever gone as long as there is someone to remember them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayakinboy View Post
    WRONG! Not all the compaines can drop like the ones that just offer car insurance. They didn't take a huge hit like others did because of natural diasaters.
    What I said is a bit of an exaggeration, I didn't mean to say that every single company is dropping rates... but most of the major ones seem to be doing it. Here's a link to a USA Today article that I read which gave me the impression rates were going to be dropping.

My firm represents lots of insurance companies, both for defense and subrogation. They all have their good points and bad points. Company policies vary from state to state depending on state law, ins. mandates, regs etc. Can't hurt to shop around. I've used AAA, progressive, Gieco, State Farm and probably a few others. I just buy whoever will give it to me the cheapest in any given year.

Also, make sure you have enough coverage. 100/300 min. (the more the better for you) regardless of what your state may or may not require. The last thing you want is for your insurance company to pay the policy limits quick and bail on you, leaving you in a law suit where everything comes from your pocket.

When 100K is on the table insurance companies will usually stick around and at least pay your legal fees plus the 100K, leaving you to negoiate the excess (or pay it anyway if your lucky). If you only have 25/50 coverage or something and the Plaintiff's medical/loss wage claim is close to 25K it's cheaper to pay and bail leaving you to defend the excess.

Blog Entries

I had GEICO for 3 years when you still had to be in the military or government service to get GEICO. (Government Employment Insurance COmpany) and was getting riped off because GEICO wanted 1,100 every 6 months for partial rate. I switched to USAA (another Miliatary only Insurance company) and I only pay $230 every 6 months for 2 cars and homeowners insurance and that is full rate! So I always say, I saved a bunch of money by leave GEICO.

Lopaka

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dickson View Post
    I'm with Nationwide and my insurance just went up. No operant reason. Been with them since 89. I think it's time to move on. Anybody know anything about Allstate's plans?
    I been with Allstate since I was 18 years old. We have a 2006 truck a 99 car a 1998 FedEx truck a trailer and a house . We have collision on everything The 2006 truck is about 800 a year to insure I was surprised because that about what the house insurance is a year. The other vehicles are pretty reasonable but I think they take into account my good driving record and the fact I been with them so long. I had to make two claims and no issues either time.

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Blog Entries

Just got a quote from Geico, only 600/year more than my current State Farm policy...I guess it pays to shopt around.

Holy Cow, KB is back on the boards, welcome back bro. Anyway, I'm lucky enough to have my wife's former address in Ohio as our insurance home, so in Ohio Geico is on par with everybody else, and that is SUPER CHEAP!!!
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Quote Originally Posted by guado View Post
    Fl ins sucks. I keep getting bent over and the rates only go up each year...ugh. I have not had a ticket or claim in 6+ years and the rates go up every time I renew...that is my WTF.

Glad to hear though BPP. I like it when people find great deals.
    That's because Florida is the key location of hurricanes and natural disasters!

Quote Originally Posted by BigMacFU View Post
    Holy Cow, KB is back on the boards, welcome back bro.
    don't get a stiffy on me!

I think of insurance (and yes I work for Nationwide) the same way I look at everything else. Cigars, cars themselves, etc. You pay for what you get. Geico is cheap, but have shitty claims service and also a high turnover rate. Some companies may cost more, but it's the little things that make it worth it.

Thread Information