Thread: Domain name registration ??

Default Domain name registration ??

OK guys, I need a little help. I am looking to register a couple of domain names and start up a small website. Problem is, I don't know too much on how to do it. I know that I can go to a place like godaddy.com and search to see if they are available (3 out of the 4 are available). How do i set up a website. Should I use the same company's resources to start the website or am I gonna get ripped off ? I am trying not to just use anybody that pops up with a Google search.

Any other domain registration site out there....

I have...
    www.godaddy.com
    www.register.com

Thanks
    I'm not big on doing reviews, tobacco doesn't taste like "cocoa" or "nutty" or "mocha" to me, it tastes like freakin' TOBACCO. I know what I like and I really don't care what other people think of other cigars. I've never read a review and said to myself "Wow, that sounds like a cigar I'd like to try!"

If your looking at getting a domain name most of the web server providers will also sell you a domain name as well. It would probably be easier to purchase the domain name and the web service from the same place and occasionally they may even give you a discount if you purchase both with them (although there is nothing wrong with buying them seprate). Yahoo provides web space as well as domain registration and there are thousands of other websites that do the same. Just be careful of what you can actually do on the site and the bandwith they give you (none of the free sites allow you to run a business off their resources, at least none that I know of). If your looking at how to develop the site or need some other information about website development I found the following site to be helpful for many people:

www.htmlgoodies.com

Good luck with the site.

most hosts will register your domain for you as well. but I would recomend going with a seperate company to register your domain.

a friend of mine had an argument with his webhost about the software they have on their server and left them, and he hasnt been able to get them to release his domain name, or modify its settings or whatever. so he has had to get a new domain name.

godaddy is one of the bigger domain name registration companies, and they usually have some kind of deal going.

I've used http://ace-host.net as a host for a couple projects, pretty good host, always have decent tech support and their "Web hosting special" offers a lot of space/bandwidth for $4 a month (if you sign up for 3 years) I've never had any major problems with them.
    -=JStrider=-
    ~a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke. -- Rudyard Kipling

~Clatto Verata Nicto

I use GoDaddy for years and find them very good.
    If you are interested in having your site builtI can give you a great person to talk to
    I have used her for years and real like her work. pm me if you would like her email or site url

Just a word of caution - some sites register it for you and let you use it - but you don't own the site. If you do it through register.com (as an example), you own the domain name. Then you can route your services through yahoo.com (cheap, effective).

Lemme know if you have any questions.
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

I've used Network Solutions in the past with no problems. I haven't been involved with any hosting or website development since college though. I may be a little out of touch.

Blog Entries

I've always used godaddy. They are kind of Spammy when signing up, but they have a great managment interface and they are much cheaper then network solutions or register.com.

Promo code: SAVENOW gets you 10% off new registrations.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

I've been told some of the sites will register the name you were searching for so that it is locked and you can't purchase it from anyone other than them. Does anyone know this to be true??? I've often wondered....

I used www.dreamhost.com when I had my website. I really liked their user interface, and I never had any problems with them. The only reason I dropped my hosting was because of a lack of time to update my site, so I couldn't see spending the money for it just to sit there.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I'll quickly come in and second dreamhost. My experience with them was great, and I found that they offered a lot of features that many other sites didn't (ssh access, etc). They also had great support, which is really the deal breaker if you ask me. Either way, good luck!

Thread Information