Thread: Can't get my humidor up to the right humidity

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Can't get my humidor up to the right humidity

I can't figure out what's wrong. I got a new humidor, I seasoned it following the guide Lopaka put out, except I used a test bag for the hygrometer that came with the purchase, and I didn't have a sponge so I used a clean paper towel and left a small cup with distilled water in the humi. The hygrometer tested at exactly 75%. I'm using the 70% puck-100 from cigarmony.com and I folled the instructions to activate it. But after I put in my cigars and let them sit for 2 days the hygrometer said the humidity was only 62%, I decided to make some room and put the cup with distilled water back in it, but after another day the humidity is only 64%.
    Do I need to do anything else or should I just wait it out and see if the humidity will come up?
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

bigpoppapuff Guest

62-65 is perfect,imho..

the sticks are probly soaking up a decent amount of your humidity, the puck will be reliable just make sure the beads don't go white on ya, it should go back to normal in a few days, just gotta give it time to regulate

So a couple thoughts:

1. unless you're wiping the humidor down with the distilled water (not recommended) - it can take more than a couple days for the humi to absorb the water into the wood (winter - evaporation - cold). So I'd leave the thing of distilled water in the humi for 5 days or so.

2. the wood sucks the humidity out of the cigar, so there's an adjustment on that end. some folks say that your humi isn't ever really seasoned until it's 3/4 full of sticks for a while and then keeps your desired rh.

3. 62% isn't a bad thing... I keep my sticks around 65%.
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

Ok, thanks guys.
    I just wanted to make sure that something weird wasn't going on.
    I'll just let it sit for a few more days and see if it evens out.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I am going through the same thing now. I took my smokes out and started over. I dropped drastically. went down to 57% and cant figure out why. I have 2 digitals in there now with some distilled water and am waiting to see it come up some. I do have about 3-4% difference between the 2 digitals but it is still low. I have the Boveda the beads the gel
    Family, Friends and a good cigar. Oh and some fishing too!

At the risk of repeating myself: try patience, works the charm generally.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

8. Default

lower temperatures can give false rH readings, I believe.

I wouldn't worry about it. If there is moisture in the oasis then don't force it. The worse thing you could do right now is introduce so much excess water that the tobacco swells up and cracks the wrapper (usually at the foot). Even 3 or 4 weeks at a lower humidity isn't that big of a deal.

Like Sid said, lower humidity is better for smoking for many.

Thread Information