Thread: Buying Quantity

Default Buying Quantity

I was just wondering how may cigars do you usually buy at once? Do you guys normally buy them buy the box or as singles. Being relatively new to this I buy about half a dozen at a time 3 I know I like & three I haven't tried before.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I was just wondering how may cigars do you usually buy at once? Do you guys normally buy them buy the box or as singles. Being relatively new to this I buy about half a dozen at a time 3 I know I like & three I haven't tried before.
    when you're first starting out, you don't know what you like. I would not buy a box if i were you. Look into 5 packs, samplers and singles. That way, if you don't like 1, you don't have 24 left to smoke. CigarBid is a very good place to score some 5 packs and Samplers. I don't recommend buying singles from there. Cigars International has a page for singles, If you buy 5 i believe you get one free. Or go to your B&M and tell him what you've liked so far and get some suggestions.

also, not sure if you've looked into the Newb Sampler Thread, but definately check it out.

Once you've had 2-4 of the same cigar and have enjoyed everyone, then it's probably safe to buy a box. Also keep in mind, your taste are gonna change considerably. You might love a cigar right now, then couple months down the road it might not do anything for you.

I am in the same boat as you Thumper. I buy about 4 or 5, two that I know I like and the rest are new.

I get by on a gym instructors salary which isn't as much as you would think

May save up though and buy a box of my fave Robustos (La Rica)

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    when you're first starting out, you don't know what you like. I would not buy a box if i were you. Look into 5 packs, samplers and singles. That way, if you don't like 1, you don't have 24 left to smoke. CigarBid is a very good place to score some 5 packs and Samplers. I don't recommend buying singles from there. Cigars International has a page for singles, If you buy 5 i believe you get one free. Or go to your B&M and tell him what you've liked so far and get some suggestions.

also, not sure if you've looked into the Newb Sampler Thread, but definately check it out.

Once you've had 2-4 of the same cigar and have enjoyed everyone, then it's probably safe to buy a box. Also keep in mind, your taste are gonna change considerably. You might love a cigar right now, then couple months down the road it might not do anything for you.
    Yep, thats some sound advice.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

I'm a big fan of the 5 pack... gives you plenty of sticks to see if you really like the cigar or not I dont think one or 2 is enough to know for sure that you like something. I'll usually go through a couple 5 packs of something I like before I buy a box...

and they're good if you only have a small humidor and want to add some new sticks.
    -=JStrider=-
    ~a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke. -- Rudyard Kipling

~Clatto Verata Nicto

When I first started out, I would buy 2-3 sticks if I wanted to try a new cigar, so I could get a good feel for it. One stick was too few for me to base my decision on, so I would always buy a couple.

I still do that for new things I am trying. For sticks I know and love, I buy them by the handful, but rarely by the box. I have made box purchases in the past but only when I get a great deal. I don't really have the room to store hundreds of cigars so I have to be careful not to buy too many.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Thread Information