Thread: Humidity too high

Default Humidity too high

Hey guys, did a search, didn't come up with much.

Ive got my new digital hygrometer in my humidor and its reading 75% humidity. I calibrated it so I know it's right.

Just wondering what the best way to slowly bring down the humidty is? Should I take out the little sponge for a day or so and see what it goes down to?

Just throw me some ideas if you would.

Thanks,
    Sean.

What is your humidfier? When you say sponge, do you mean the floral foam? or do you actually have a sponge in there? How long have you had the humidor? Are there smokes in it?

Thanks,
    -Chad
    For let a man, as most men do, rate themselves at the highest value they can, yet their true value is no more than it is esteemed by others. -Thomas Hobbes

Quote Originally Posted by chadth View Post
    What is your humidfier? When you say sponge, do you mean the floral foam? or do you actually have a sponge in there? How long have you had the humidor? Are there smokes in it?

Thanks,
    -Chad
    My humidifier is the sponge, and by that i mean the floral foam. I've had the humidor since Christmas, I seasoned it and all. There are 10 smokes in it, it holds 20. Like I said, it had the original analog hygro. in it and i knew it probably wasn't right. I got my digital one and put it in there and see that the analog wasn't right. It's currently at 75% humidity.

I would personally pull the sponge out and let it dry some. You may have overfilled it with water/solution. Try shacking it upside down and see if you get any water out.
    As for the humidor, you may wish to leave the lid open for a few good hours to dry the wood out some as well. After that, put your hygrometer back in and monitor the humidity every 4 hours or so. If the humidor continues to stay at 75, leave the lid open for another few hours. After your sponge has dried out some, put it back in and continue to monitor things.

I would also inspect your smokes and the humidor for mold.

Let me know how things go.

-Chad
    For let a man, as most men do, rate themselves at the highest value they can, yet their true value is no more than it is esteemed by others. -Thomas Hobbes

Are you using straight water or a mix?

Quote Originally Posted by chadth View Post
    I would personally pull the sponge out and let it dry some. You may have overfilled it with water/solution. Try shacking it upside down and see if you get any water out.
    As for the humidor, you may wish to leave the lid open for a few good hours to dry the wood out some as well. After that, put your hygrometer back in and monitor the humidity every 4 hours or so. If the humidor continues to stay at 75, leave the lid open for another few hours. After your sponge has dried out some, put it back in and continue to monitor things.

I would also inspect your smokes and the humidor for mold.

Let me know how things go.

-Chad
    I will give that a try. I was going to leave it open for a couple hours but wasn't sure if that was the best way to go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by pub spears View Post
    Are you using straight water or a mix?
    Distilled water only.

Propylene glycol Is available at over the counter at most any drug store. Just ask the pharmacist for a pint. Probably less than 10 bucks and enough to last for years. Mix it 50/50 with distilled water and charge the floral sponge with the mixture. It regulates the humidity to keep it from going above 70%. Once the wood dries a little you shouldn't be getting high rh. Also, it is supposed to help prevent mold. Is your sponge in a preforated container? Good luck

or.... maybe beads... http://www.heartfeltindustries.com

75 is a little high but nothing to freak out about. Order the beads and save yourself some trouble.

Open the humidor until the humidity fixes itself. Also, if you did not use a 50/50 mix of Distilled water and Propylene Glycol, then that could be the reason why your humidity is at 75 or higher. They propylene glycol is the one that maintains the humidity in your humidor. It soaks/releases moisture when needed. Good luck.

Andrew

Well, here's an update. I left the humidor open for about 30 minutes last night and also took out the sponge. Closed it about 10pm with no sponge in it and woke up this morning at 69%. When I get home from work I will see what it is at and go from there. I will pick up some of this propylene glycol and make a 50/50 mixture.

Thread Information