Thread: Holts wants me to mail a copy of my Drivers license

Default Holts wants me to mail a copy of my Drivers license

So I get this letter in the mail today from Holt's. I think I purchased from them once, for the trade with K7.

Here is the letter

(Typing and spelling errors in the original letter have been maintained. )

Dear Sir or Madam:
    Several States require that we prove that all customers purchasing tobacco products are at least 21 years of age.
    This is not a new law and was mainly enforced when purchasing cigarettes. This law is now including tobacco products, so we must also adhere to it.
    We have featured an age verification request form in several of our recent catalogs. I believe this will again be added to our new upcoming catalogs. Unfortunately several states now require a customer attestation, in writing, be maintained on file prior to making sales of tobacco.
    In addition Holt’s Mail Order has contracted with a third party age verification software provider. This enable us, in most cases, to verify age without requesting or storing any additional personal information. This verification occassionally does not work for various reasons. Most often the reason is a customer’s data is not part of public record data bases (ie:Department of Motor Vehicle, Voter Registration, etc.). If you wish, you can view our provider’s web-site at . This may provide additional confirmation of their policies and procedures
    Since we have been unable to verify that your are of legal age through this service, we must now ask that you mail us a copy of your State ID (Driver’s License or other government issues identification).
    Again, we certainly do wish to apologize for the inconvenience this is causing. We would also be disappointed not to hear from you again. The easiest way at this time to resolve this, is to mail or fax a copy of your State ID (Drivers License) to us.
    Holts Cigar Co.
    12270 Townsend Road
    Philadelphia PA 19154
    Fax # 215-676-9085
    So, besides the obvious errors in spelling, grammar and typing, I fail to see how if, according to them, my information was not part of the public, specifically the NH Department of Motor Vehicles, my Drivers license would be helpful??

Second - on the second page, I wish I could scan this letter but I don't have a scanner, says that this is only required for NY and they are collecting this information to prepare for the future potential age verification laws in the future.

WTF?? I am getting the scam alert feeling here.

Has anyone else fielded this request from Holts?

I'm not giving them a dam thing BTW.

I'm going to toss this on CP to see if anyone there has come across it.
    Last edited by nhcigarfan; 02-11-2007 at 04:13 PM.

Even if it's not a scam, you have no reason to furnish your license for them. It's not like they'll take back what they shipped with repo men or something.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Call their customer service number (I'd suggest you get it off their web page) and find out what it's all about.

4. Default

sounds like horseshit to me. Call em tomorrow and ask them if it is real . If so tell em to pound sand up their ass
    The older I get ,the better I was

Blog Entries

Make up a fake one on a word processor, photocopy your license photo, tape it to the page and photocopy the whole thing then fax or mail it to them. Be sure to lie about things like your real driver's license number and your date of birth.

Send it to 'em and see what happens, that's what I'd do.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Brenham, TX.....home of BlueBell Ice Cream!

Call Holts first and if its fake....then do what CC says but make your name something like GO F-U-C-K YOURSELF!

7. Default

Harry Sachs
    The older I get ,the better I was

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    Harry Sachs
    Heywood Jablowme
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

I (actually my wife) got one too. Went straight into the circular file.

I'm tossing it. What struck me the most was how poorly the letter was drafted. I almost feel like I should edit it and send it back.

Use the name Jaquemo Bolimi. It's a real name, a French composet I think, who I immediately dubbed Jackmeoff Baloney, to the ire of my friend.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Ivanna Pee?
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Thread Information