Thread: Golf...Is it?

Default Golf...Is it?

Ok so I got into a Huge debate on the topic of Golf with a friend of mine. He loves Tiger Woods and all he talks about is how great he is and how great the "Sport" of Golf is... I got things going by telling him that Golf is a "Skill" and not a "Sport".

So I thought I would bring it to you guys and see what all of you thought. So is Golf a Sport or is it a Skill? Let me know what you think...

At what level? At a recreational level it might be debatable. The pros practice, practice, practice. During a tournament, they walk for 5-6 hours, 4 days in a row in sometimes horrible conditions. Then they use those skills you mentioned while contending with the physical and mental strains of the day. If you can debate sport or skill for golf, why not for baseball or some other game? Golf is a game you play against yourself, the course and the rest of the field. You don't have a team to back you up, but you can still smoke a cigar sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by www.dictionary.com
    sport /spɔrt, spoʊrt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[spawrt, spohrt]
    –noun
    1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
    I think it is a sport. It really is much harder then it looks.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Quote Originally Posted by pub spears View Post
    At what level? At a recreational level it might be debatable. The pros practice, practice, practice. During a tournament, they walk for 5-6 hours, 4 days in a row in sometimes horrible conditions. Then they use those skills you mentioned while contending with the physical and mental strains of the day. If you can debate sport or skill for golf, why not for baseball or some other game? Golf is a game you play against yourself, the course and the rest of the field. You don't have a team to back you up, but you can still smoke a cigar sometimes.
    Two words for ya…John Daily. Have you seen this guy?! Doesn’t look like much of an “Athlete” to me. But your right…Hump-in 18 holes is not easy. But I still think it’s a skill.

Remember Happy Gilmore? If more pros were like him, I would watch all the time.

I call it a sport. At the professional level it is a sport. At my level its an embarrassment.

As far as a skill goes, being able to chip well is a skill, being able to throw a nasty slider is a skill, being able to go 9/10 from 3 point range is a skill. Golf, baseball, basketball, football, soccer, etc... are all sports.

And Daily isn't the only fat man in sports. There are a few fat baseball pitchers out there (David Wells anyone), and no one ever called Sapp a skinny guy.

The people that do this professionally are elite athletes. When I play softball, soccer, and golf I wouldn't call myself an athlete and I'd say I'm playing a game.

spiffy

Blog Entries

I agree, on a pro level, golf is definately an athletic activity. on MY level? I consider golf to be one of the most dificult activities to consistently do very well.

We have the same debate over motorsports, but I won't jack your thread over that one.
    and what about archery? (a passionate hobby of mine), this is an olympic sport, but requires minimal physical exertion to actually shoot an arrow, however as with golf, physical preparation has a huge effect on consistency, and ability.

There are a lot of activities that require MENTAL exertion as opposed to physical, that are VERY competitive, (no, I don't consider chess a sport).
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Golf is an excuse to Smoke a cigar and drink some beer with your friends
    Family, Friends and a good cigar. Oh and some fishing too!

Blog Entries

Never need an excuse for that

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Also I dont think there are many of us in the shape Tiger is in. Have you ever seen him swing a club in Slow motion?
    Family, Friends and a good cigar. Oh and some fishing too!

Quote Originally Posted by Bassfever View Post
    Also I dont think there are many of us in the shape Tiger is in. Have you ever seen him swing a club in Slow motion?
    sounds like it get's you a little hot.

Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Blog Entries

Tiger is definately an elite athlete

~ Col. Sanders ~

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    sounds like it get's you a little hot.

oh ho...Looks like we have opened another door into the skill or sport debate..."TIGER WOODS STARS IN... BEHINDE THE GREEN DOOR"

Thread Information